PDA

View Full Version : Day 2: Organize your home in 40 days

KrisM
10-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Should I keep starting a new thread daily?

Today, I'm going to do the vanity in my bathroom. I tried to pick something that I know I'll end up with trash, since trash day is tomorrow.

hillview
10-02-2014, 07:56 AM
YES! And good point on the garbage -- we do too. Plotting

hillview
10-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Ok today I organized the books. ALL kids books are on the playroom floor in various bins. A few are newly labeled. I have 2 grocery sacks to give away and a trash bag full of non-books in book areas. Categories are:
history
jack and annie
mo willems
dr seuss
Readers for DS1
Readers for DS2
picture books/hard back story books for younger kids that are lovely and I have to better sort through
classic chapter books
"new" chapter books
sets of book by series (wimpy kid, capt underpants, etc)
biographies
travel/geography
sports
lego

jgenie
10-02-2014, 05:27 PM
I finished our guest room and started on the guest room closet. 1.5 hrs

vludmilla
10-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Finished the junk drawer and returned to the entry closet (yesterday's job) to do a little more. Thanks for the push to get this all done! I found $10 in change and about $100 in gift cards in it...woo hoo!

mikeys_mom
10-02-2014, 05:42 PM
I haven't had the time to write out a list yet but I've been spending a couple of hours each day organizing. Today I finished DS's room and the twins room. I have been so ruthless with purging. I thought I got rid of stuff before the move but now as I'm unpacking, I'm finding more things that I just toss out. I refuse to have all the random toys and clothes that never get played with or worn hanging around. We are in a much smaller space and I need to control the clutter right from the start.

KrisM
10-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Great job everyone!

Today I did our vanity and got rid of a bunch of stuff and wiped down all the drawers. I cleared the top as well. Looks so much nicer!

I also did the upper cabinets in the kitchen. I am generally pretty good at keeping these organized, so it was a quick job. I did the small cabinet in the bathroom downstairs as well. Mostly it was just disorganized, but a few things got moved elsewhere.

I need to run errands tomorrow and go to an actual mall. Since it's a 45 minute drive each way, I'll be gone much of the day, so I did the extra things today instead. I need to pick up some of the big areas next week though!

Mamabear4
10-02-2014, 10:20 PM
I finished the master closet - dusted, vacuumed (again), organized clothes and removed dry cleaning bags. I also folded AND put away 3 bins of laundry yet hat were in the laundry room and master BR. It felt like I sorted 500 pairs of socks....
I also cleaned the master bath. The boys have a teacher work day tomorrow, so I doubt I'll get to do much, so I was working ahead :)

twowhat?
10-02-2014, 10:45 PM
I didn't do Day 1, was just too tired. But I got something small done for Day 2. Cleaned off the master bathtub which has been accumulating gross bath toys since who knows when:)

hillview
10-03-2014, 08:07 AM
SO I need stuff to finish my books project so the playroom will stay a mess today (need more containers for book collections) might try to tackle the playroom other disasters today.

gymnbomb
10-03-2014, 08:26 AM
I did small parts of a couple of different things yesterday, but did not finish any one thing. I may need to play catch-up over the weekend!

goldenpig
10-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I tidied up the living room toys, but that is a Sisyphean task! I need to find some more time to work on purging toys. Maybe this weekend.

specialp
10-03-2014, 12:00 PM
I didn't comment on the original, but I made my list and most are smaller items that could be done in 30 minutes each. I started with the "messy attic" as we call it b/c (a) i wanted to do it the least and I always try to do the thing I hate first and it would take a long time; (b) of the weather being good so not miserable up there and because (c) I know I will want to put other things up there. I finished it this morning! That one attic has haunted me for a year. Also cleaned out dresser & chest of drawers in the spare bedroom, but I actually started on that last week when I was organizing desk and craft stuff.

KrisM
10-03-2014, 12:40 PM
I didn't comment on the original, but I made my list and most are smaller items that could be done in 30 minutes each. I started with the "messy attic" as we call it b/c (a) i wanted to do it the least and I always try to do the thing I hate first and it would take a long time; (b) of the weather being good so not miserable up there and because (c) I know I will want to put other things up there. I finished it this morning! That one attic has haunted me for a year. Also cleaned out dresser & chest of drawers in the spare bedroom, but I actually started on that last week when I was organizing desk and craft stuff.

Awesome! How long did it take?

specialp
10-03-2014, 02:52 PM
I would say 2.5 hours split up so it was really my biggest project. We had already donated and sold a lot this summer, but just stopped after that and never got around to organizing what was leftover. This part was consolidating and labeling boxes, trashing what needed to go, breaking down boxes, and organizing the attic into sections. The other attic has holiday boxes in it and is very well organized so this one sort of became the dumping ground for everything else.

gymnbomb
10-04-2014, 03:56 PM
Running a bit behind, but I did get the kitchen table cleaned and cake decorating tools semi-organized and in a new home today. Hoping to get a little more done before the end of the day...

94bruin
10-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Culled all the outgrown clothes from the girls' closet. DD2 is rapidly catching up to her older sister (who is 3.5 years old). The funny thing is that some of the tops are going directly from DD1 to DD2!

rlu
05-31-2015, 10:17 PM
9. Sort and dispose of unnecessary linens (who needs 20+ regular sized pillow cases?) – DONE 5/31
25. Start sorting pictures for 2016 calendar (I always try to start early but still end up rushing in Dec) – THROUGH MAY DONE 5/31
26. Sort undergarments – DONE 5/31

eta: these are items 2-4 since I am doing items not days.

jgenie
09-17-2015, 02:53 AM
Day 2 - organized upstairs linen closet