PDA

View Full Version : Day 5: Organize your home in 40 days

KrisM
10-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Post your own personal day 5 here. If you have skipped a day or two, fill those in on your day. The goal is for each person to have 40 days of organizing. Some will do them in a row, some skip weekends, some are more random...just post when you get to the number you're at :)

As for me - I'm a day behind, so won't be posting here yet!

Mamabear4
10-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Thank you for clarifying how this was working - I think I was a little confused at first. I took the weekend off, but was back in full force today.

Today I completed three tasks on my list: organizing the junk drawers (yes, we have 3 of them....:bag) and both of the 'junk' cabinets in the kitchen. Once I got in there, I realized it would be a lot easier to sort, purge and reorganize if I had everything out of all of them. My ultimate goal is to get us down to just one junk drawer, but that will have to happen another day. There are WAY bigger organizational disasters in my house right now that I need to deal with :)

KrisM
10-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Thank you for clarifying how this was working - I think I was a little confused at first. I took the weekend off, but was back in full force today.

Today I completed three tasks on my list: organizing the junk drawers (yes, we have 3 of them....:bag) and both of the 'junk' cabinets in the kitchen. Once I got in there, I realized it would be a lot easier to sort, purge and reorganize if I had everything out of all of them. My ultimate goal is to get us down to just one junk drawer, but that will have to happen another day. There are WAY bigger organizational disasters in my house right now that I need to deal with :)

Well, it just occurred to me on Saturday that it should work that way :). I was thinking I would have to figure out how to make up days or something and then realized I should do 40 days of my own stuff and everyone else should too, regardless of when you have your time. So, yeah, I'm making it up as we go :).

Plus, on days like today when I did 2 things on my list, I'm not counting as 2 days. I'm still going to do stuff for 40 days. I'm sure I'll find more things after I finish my list.

Great job on the junk areas! Those are always tricky!

Melaine
10-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I am so glad we are doing this challenge. The last week has been stressful but I cleaned and organized some of my anxiety away on the weekend. What I have done so far: Kitchen drawers, spice cabinet, storage cabinet, big kitchen drawer, Utensil drawer, art cabinets, school shelves, game closet, DS' clothes closet, under master sink, master bathroom drawers. DH did the laundry room for me! Although I am pretty sure my "afters" might look like a pinterest "before"....we have made alot of progress and I am happy with that!

KrisM
10-08-2014, 01:13 PM
I am so glad we are doing this challenge. The last week has been stressful but I cleaned and organized some of my anxiety away on the weekend. What I have done so far: Kitchen drawers, spice cabinet, storage cabinet, big kitchen drawer, Utensil drawer, art cabinets, school shelves, game closet, DS' clothes closet, under master sink, master bathroom drawers. DH did the laundry room for me! Although I am pretty sure my "afters" might look like a pinterest "before"....we have made alot of progress and I am happy with that!

You are doing great! I have found that some days I start with something on the list and end up with a couple related things done, but those aren't on my list. It's looking better!

I am on Day 5 today (10/8). I cleaned out the mudroom closet. It needs something more, but I'm not sure what. It's so small it gets cluttered quickly. I'm going to look for a better place for us to put our shoes. That would help.

mikeys_mom
10-20-2014, 08:05 AM
I am super far behind. Haven't done anything the past few weeks. It was so busy here with all the holidays. I need to get back on track.
Today I organized one of my kids building sets that have been taking up a ton of space. It's actually a series of old sets of mine that my mother held onto. It was in the original boxes it came in but there are 6 sets and with my kids all trying to use it, the sets were getting mixed up and pieces not stored in the right compartments. Plus, the boxes are cardboard with covers that just flip open so with lots of movement, the boxes often get tipped over by accident.

I bought a storage box with compartments you can customize the size of and just combined all the similar pieces from the various sets.

http://www.keter.com/products/48cm-tool-organizer

I need to go back and get a second smaller one for some of the really tiny connector pieces that are now just in ziplocs but it takes up way less space and is much more functional than the old system.

gymnbomb
10-20-2014, 08:53 AM
I had a really bad couple of weeks, but got a few things done this weekend. My Mom is flying in today so I had some extra motivation :)
DH and I also each did parts of some other things on the list. I think I got 4 whole things and a few partial things done in the last few days.

jgenie
10-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I cleaned the garage closet last week and didn't update.

94bruin
10-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Got my girls (well, mainly DD1) to do what she can. She re-organized the playroom shelves.

rlu
06-01-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm doing items instead of days. Here is 5&6.

7. Separate and put away DS school papers (this packrat tendency saved our bacon LAST NIGHT when the teacher sent home an assignment in April w/o marking it received in her book first) – I have scrapbook boxes for this purpose. I sorted stack I could find, I think there are more somewhere. 6/1

10. Ditto with the hand towels – why have so many in colors that don’t “go” in a big laundry load? – sorted but DH won’t dispose of. Putting in sealed box and will see if he ever asks for them. 6/1

jgenie
09-25-2015, 12:53 PM
DAY 5 - kitchen drawers - DONE - 9/25