PDA

View Full Version : Help me fill in the gaps for our Disneyworld trip!

janine
10-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Four weeks away and trying to pull it all together, and not miss anything I should be planning. First trip for all of us and coming from East coast - DD's are 6 and 3. It is a 4 night trip, W-Sat.

What we have booked so far:

3 nights at Grand Floridian (basic outer bldg room).

3 day pass for all of us.

I booked some fast passes and thought 2 days for MK and 1 day for Hollywood Studios (do HS in between 2 MK days). I could only book what was available as some popular ones (Anna/Elsa, Electric Parade were gone).

What I need to figure out:

If I should get Park Hoppers so we can do 1/2 day at say, Animal Kingdom and also see the Electric Parade which in only 1 night of the 4 we are there. We would not be maximizing it and hit all parks, but convenience aspect may be nice.

Where to stay on Night 4 (Grand Floridian is fully booked). I can move closer to AK and combine it that way or go with Contemporary which gets high marks for convenience, or go off resort as the last day is when we fly out and no park pass.

I am open to any other tips for a first timer - character meals seem all booked and not doing Dining option so far as my kids are finicky and not big eaters.

Random Questions:

Should I bring a stroller or rent?
Is a rental car a good idea?
Is there stores to buy things like milk?
Are excursions such as Sea World worth it? I am thinking it is too much to cram in and maybe enough animals for them to see at one of the parks like AK?
Is there a trick to getting more Fast Passes day of?
Is the MM Christmas Parade/Show worth it? It starts on our last night there.

candaceb
10-08-2014, 12:49 PM
If you bring your stroller, it means you have it for the airport. If you think you can manage the airport without one, I would rent a Baby Jogger from one of the offsite rental places that delivers to your hotel.
You can probably get by without a car as long as you stay on site for that last night. If you want to move offsite for the last night, I'd get a car. If you have FF points at Marriott or Hyatt, I would look at the Marriott World Center or the Hyatt Grand Cypress for that last night so you could take advantage of their pools.
I wouldn't do anything other than Disney for a first trip when you only have 4 nights unless there is some burning interest - like if your kid is really into Harry Potter, go to Universal for a day or if they're into whales, go to Sea World.
Keep checking for fastpasses - one of my friends managed to get Anna & Elsa 2 weeks before her trip in August. To get more fastpasses, you have to use up the ones you have, so schedule them earlier in the day.
I didn't think the MVMCP was worth it. I love the Halloween party and have planned trips around it, but the Christmas party just didn't do it for me. Especially with little kids who will probably be exhausted and done by the last night.

keh602
10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
I'll try to answer your questions. :)

We take our stroller because we like to have it at the airport. Our City Mini's super easy fold is great for buses, boats, or any other time we have to fold it up in a hurry.

Since you are staying onsite, I would definitely make use of the Magical Express and forgo a rental car. It is so nice to not have to deal with your luggage, and really, I don't think you'll need a car.

The hotel will have a gift shop where you can buy milk and other grocery items. We also order from gardengrocer.com every time we go to get other staples. Great service, reasonable prices, and very convenient.

You will be there for so little time that I would just focus on WDW attractions. I don't think you need to venture off site at all.

Once you've used your 3 FPs, you can try to get more, one at a time. From what I've read, MK is the park where you have the best chance of actually getting something you'd want to ride since there are so many rides there in general.

I've read very mixed things about the Christmas party. Our first day there is the last day of the paid party, and I seriously debated getting tickets. A lot of people feel that you're basically paying for cookies and hot chocolate. We will be able to see it later in our stay without paying, though, and you won't have that opportunity. So it might be worth it to you. If you don't have a ticket for it, you'll have to leave the park at 7:00 that night. I don't know if that's an issue.

As far as where to stay your last night, if you stay on site Disney will move your luggage for you. That would be a big bonus for me. If you're going to have time to spend at the resort and really check it out, AKL is awesome. We love Contemporary too. That one might have an advantage if you did do the Christmas party the night before, because you could just walk back to the resort instead of relying on buses. Just some things to think about.

I posted in your park hopper thread, but they might be nice for you. Animal Kingdom isn't open very late, so if you don't have hoppers you'd be done pretty early that day.

If you do go to AK, our favorite place to eat is a counter service place called Flame Tree BBQ. The food is fantastic, you get a lot of it (really probably enough to share), and you can take your food down to a shelter that sits right on the lake across from Everest. It's a gorgeous view.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll keep thinking. I hope it helps some at least!

Indianamom2
10-08-2014, 01:04 PM
Candaceb gave good advice. I wouldn't try to do anything but Disney for a first trip. That will be more than enough.

If you stay on Disney property, I do believe there will always be a little convenience store at the hotel that should have milk. I know the Animal Kingdom Lodge did.

As for where to stay, although the AKL is really nice, it's also really far from everything except the Animal Kingdom. I'd try the Contemporary for that last night.

I'd skip the character meals this time and just eat wherever sounds good to your family (aka counter service meals). There are some good options, even for picky eaters.

We've always done park hopper passes, but be aware that it may just be too much to try to cram in with little ones. The last time we went, our kids were 4 and 9. We took advantage of early morning hours (which is a really good thing to do when you stay on property) and took it easier in the afternoons. We didn't really go back to the hotel because DD was old enough to keep going and DS doesn't nap well under those circumstances and is pretty easy-going even late at night. But if your kids will nap, since you are so close to the parks, it would probably be good to do early morning hours, go back to the hotel for nap/pool time, then back to the parks for dinner and more fun.

Definitely have a stroller available. We've never rented, but I've heard good things. Last time, we just brought our City Mini and it was fine. But you will NEED a stroller. (If they made adult strollers, I'd take one!)

Have fun...you don't have to do everything and you really can't, but remember that whatever you do will make great memories!

Edited to add, since we cross-posted: If you do the AK, we really like the Flame Tree BBQ as well. And we also discovered some sort of Asian counter service restaurant that had really good food too, but I cannot remember the name, so I'm not much help!

janine
10-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I'll try to answer your questions. :)

We take our stroller because we like to have it at the airport. Our City Mini's super easy fold is great for buses, boats, or any other time we have to fold it up in a hurry.

Since you are staying onsite, I would definitely make use of the Magical Express and forgo a rental car. It is so nice to not have to deal with your luggage, and really, I don't think you'll need a car.

The hotel will have a gift shop where you can buy milk and other grocery items. We also order from gardengrocer.com every time we go to get other staples. Great service, reasonable prices, and very convenient.

You will be there for so little time that I would just focus on WDW attractions. I don't think you need to venture off site at all.

Once you've used your 3 FPs, you can try to get more, one at a time. From what I've read, MK is the park where you have the best chance of actually getting something you'd want to ride since there are so many rides there in general.

I've read very mixed things about the Christmas party. Our first day there is the last day of the paid party, and I seriously debated getting tickets. A lot of people feel that you're basically paying for cookies and hot chocolate. We will be able to see it later in our stay without paying, though, and you won't have that opportunity. So it might be worth it to you. If you don't have a ticket for it, you'll have to leave the park at 7:00 that night. I don't know if that's an issue.

As far as where to stay your last night, if you stay on site Disney will move your luggage for you. That would be a big bonus for me. If you're going to have time to spend at the resort and really check it out, AKL is awesome. We love Contemporary too. That one might have an advantage if you did do the Christmas party the night before, because you could just walk back to the resort instead of relying on buses. Just some things to think about.

I posted in your park hopper thread, but they might be nice for you. Animal Kingdom isn't open very late, so if you don't have hoppers you'd be done pretty early that day.

If you do go to AK, our favorite place to eat is a counter service place called Flame Tree BBQ. The food is fantastic, you get a lot of it (really probably enough to share), and you can take your food down to a shelter that sits right on the lake across from Everest. It's a gorgeous view.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll keep thinking. I hope it helps some at least!

Yes this was SO helpful, thank you!

janine
10-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Candaceb gave good advice. I wouldn't try to do anything but Disney for a first trip. That will be more than enough.

If you stay on Disney property, I do believe there will always be a little convenience store at the hotel that should have milk. I know the Animal Kingdom Lodge did.

As for where to stay, although the AKL is really nice, it's also really far from everything except the Animal Kingdom. I'd try the Contemporary for that last night.

I'd skip the character meals this time and just eat wherever sounds good to your family (aka counter service meals). There are some good options, even for picky eaters.

We've always done park hopper passes, but be aware that it may just be too much to try to cram in with little ones. The last time we went, our kids were 4 and 9. We took advantage of early morning hours (which is a really good thing to do when you stay on property) and took it easier in the afternoons. We didn't really go back to the hotel because DD was old enough to keep going and DS doesn't nap well under those circumstances and is pretty easy-going even late at night. But if your kids will nap, since you are so close to the parks, it would probably be good to do early morning hours, go back to the hotel for nap/pool time, then back to the parks for dinner and more fun.

Definitely have a stroller available. We've never rented, but I've heard good things. Last time, we just brought our City Mini and it was fine. But you will NEED a stroller. (If they made adult strollers, I'd take one!)

Have fun...you don't have to do everything and you really can't, but remember that whatever you do will make great memories!

Edited to add, since we cross-posted: If you do the AK, we really like the Flame Tree BBQ as well. And we also discovered some sort of Asian counter service restaurant that had really good food too, but I cannot remember the name, so I'm not much help!

Thanks for the great tips. I think we may do the Hopper just for the convenience, I'm not going to stress about not using it enough. Defnitely getting a stroller, leaning towards bringing our own right now. Unless we opt for double in which case rental might be better as our Citi Mini Double is still big to me.

janine
10-08-2014, 01:11 PM
If you bring your stroller, it means you have it for the airport. If you think you can manage the airport without one, I would rent a Baby Jogger from one of the offsite rental places that delivers to your hotel.
You can probably get by without a car as long as you stay on site for that last night. If you want to move offsite for the last night, I'd get a car. If you have FF points at Marriott or Hyatt, I would look at the Marriott World Center or the Hyatt Grand Cypress for that last night so you could take advantage of their pools.
I wouldn't do anything other than Disney for a first trip when you only have 4 nights unless there is some burning interest - like if your kid is really into Harry Potter, go to Universal for a day or if they're into whales, go to Sea World.
Keep checking for fastpasses - one of my friends managed to get Anna & Elsa 2 weeks before her trip in August. To get more fastpasses, you have to use up the ones you have, so schedule them earlier in the day.
I didn't think the MVMCP was worth it. I love the Halloween party and have planned trips around it, but the Christmas party just didn't do it for me. Especially with little kids who will probably be exhausted and done by the last night.

Thanks, helps me think clearer now! We will skip Seaworld and the MVMCP. Hoping on fastpasses or maybe get there early and hit the popular ones. Staying on site is making more sense now, that way we can be without the car.

klwa
10-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Hmm.
As for your last night, I'd lean towards staying off site for that night, maybe in the Downtown Disney area, so you could spend the morning there, doing last minute shopping, etc. However, if you want to use Magical Express, I'd get a room at Art of Animation or Port Orleans.

Park Hoppers: I'm not a huge fan. Usually my crew is too worn out by the time we leave one park to want to do another one. But, if seeing the electrical parade is important, then do it. But, set your fast passes for the park you plan to go to second.

Dining:
At MK, Columbia Harbour House is nice, and a little different. Fish, shrimp, lobster rolls, etc. And a quiet area upstairs to sit & eat. Cosmic Rays can be fun for the kids, but is much bigger & noisier. More in line with burgers, etc. Be Our Guest, if you can get a Fastpass for lunch might be nice, too. https://beourguestlunch.disney.go.com/ to see if you can get a fast pass for lunch. If you want sit down, none of the restaurants are stellar, but the Plaza is just a little more than a counter service & you're able to sit down & have the food brought to you.
At Hollywood Studios: We've eaten at Backlot & at Pizza Planet. I'd pick Backlot over PP any day, but your mileage may vary. I don't think we've eaten at any of the other CS places. (I know the cupcakes at Starring Rolls get great reviews, though.) If you want sit down, we enjoy 50's Prime Time if there are openings.

Stroller: I'd bring. I always have. But I like having one in the airport, so, if you don't want to deal with one in the airport, rent from one of the off site rental places.

Car: If you're staying offsite the last night, you'd probably need a car. Otherwise, not needed.

Stores: The gift shops at the resorts have some basic supplies like milk. The counter service restaurants back at the resorts also have single serving sizes for sale.

Sea World: As short of a trip as you're doing, I wouldn't try to fit in an outside park. But that's me.

Fast passes: Once you've used your 3, you're able to get more by visiting the kiosks. So, make the FPs for mid morning to early afternoon. Not in the first hour or two, though. Then you can pull fastpasses during the afternoon.

Don't quite know what you mean about the MM Christmas Parade. The Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? If so, I've heard it's very nice, but when we went with kids about your kids' ages, they were worn out by the time the party started, so it wouldn't have been worth it for us. Once again, though, YMMV.

DualvansMommy
10-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Others gave you great answers so far but having went this past May when DS was 3 weeks shy from 3 years old and 4 months old baby. We didn't bring our stroller to the airport, as I wore the baby and DS1 was just toooo excited and hyper at the airport that I was glad we didn't bring the stroller because he wouldn't have sat in it!

I think in your case, I would lean towards renting a stroller and have it brought to your hotel. A real lifesaver! While on the topic of rentals, I wouldn't bother with a car either. I'll make the last night stay at another disney resort, contemporary is good but if it's booked out try beach club resort? It's walkable to Epcot so if you have the park hopper you can always walk to Epcot for quick look around or/and eat meals there too. Also, another bonus point of staying on site is grand flordian will transfer bags and such for you to your hotel on last night, one less thing for you guys to do while enjoying your day at the park!

My cousin stayed at the grand Floridian few years ago with her 4 kids. I recall her saying the hotel had a market cafe in lobby to buy snacks, milk, water and the like. I know beach club resort where we stayed had that.

As far with off site attractions, you'll only have 3 days to see/do. I went for 6 days/5 nights with 4 days of park admission and that was just right for us. We just focused on MK and Epcot! And still even didn't do all the rides, you may be able to do more in afternoons and evenings since your kids are out of napping phases. So, don't bother with offsite and HS gear well towards older kids I think? Your 6 year old may do some rides but not most of it.

FP, I managed to snag couple of attractions and rides that wasn't available before leaving for disney, but got once there. So, keep trying daily now as a lot cancel or change within 1-2 weeks out.

Meanwhile, have fun!!!!

anonomom
10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
For your last night, I'd suggest seeing if you can get AKL and spend that day at AK park. And IMO, it'd be worthwhile to skip hoppers and perhaps apply the money you save for a Savannah view. It's really something special.

Park hoppers are nice, but honestly if you haven't been to Disney with kids before, you may find you don't want to use them. We usually arrive at the parks before opening, and over half a dozen trips, we have never yet been able to keep everyone up and willing to head back to the park for a parade at 9 or 10 at night. There's also a lot going on at the resorts -- games by the pool, campfires with marshmallows, movies on the beach, so you won't lack for evening activities.

ETA: We stayed at the GF this past August. There is a sundries shop off the lobby with a pretty good selection of groceries (including milk).

brittone2
10-10-2014, 01:40 PM
We rented strollers, and skipped Hoppers. We were staying a week though, so not really necessary. When we return, we might do them depending on where we would stay. I can see the appeal of something like hoppers if you are staying in the Boardwalk area and want to pop into Epcot for dinner. I think we'd enjoy doing that. We used a rental car to drive to and from POR, and that worked well for us. If I was staying at the GF, I don't know if I'd want a rental car.