PDA

View Full Version : Day 9 and 10: Organize your house in 40 days

KrisM
10-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Post your days 9 and 10 here, whenever they may occur. It's Oct 9 today and I'm on Day 6. I will be tomorrow, too :)

WatchingThemGrow
10-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Just wanted to report that I'm motivated to get going! I woke up early, ran to the grocery to use a coupon on iced mocha half-gallon cartons, and I'm in the middle of unpacking years of momentos, photo albums for all 5 of us (well, the kids barely have any!) and tons of random artwork, trophies, and who knows what. In the middle of a pile of MY baby blankets, DH's gun cleaning stuff (?), I find a few of MY WINTER SOCKS. REALLY? That's where they've been during the moving escapades?? I'm finding lots of things to craigslist/donate that college students or others may find useful - like a PB table linens for 4, which is totally useless for our family of 5! gone. Kids are traipsing around the piles discovering pics of young mom and dad, saying, "REALLY, Mom, that's what you looked like when you were young???"

Thanks, Kris, for the inspiration to get moving! I really appreciate it.

WatchingThemGrow
10-14-2014, 10:19 AM
Day 10: i let the "unpacking the living room" project sit for a few days while I gather strength and ideas (and goods?) to repackage a century of memorabilia between the 5 members of our family! (See the thread and share sustainable ideas please!)

Today I took something easy, and it feels good. I cleaned out the drawers in my bathroom vanity and washed the brushes like The Care and Keeping of You tells us to do. (BTW, did you guys do this growing up? I've never even thought to wash my brushes until DD read it last year!)

WatchingThemGrow
10-15-2014, 11:23 PM
So for day 10 I ended up beginning the big sort. Artwork for 3 DC over the past 5 years...wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrisM
10-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Today is day 9 for me. I'm going to tackle the floor of my closet. It's a mess, but I don't think it'll take a long time. I have Sterilite drawers under my clothes and want to go through those and label them. And I have a shelving unit at the very back of the closet (a walk in) that I'm including in the floor. Going to empty that and all the other stuff and organize as it goes back in!

Day 10 will hopefully be tomorrow and be the top shelf in the closet. The closet will be done then and I am going to start nagging DH to go through his clothes as he has way too many.

KrisM
10-20-2014, 04:08 PM
It took a lot longer than I thought, but it looks much better. I only did the bottom 2 shelves and will do the top 2 when I do the closet shelves. Not sure that will be tomorrow - a lot of it is school stuff so I think I need to sort school first and then put it back in the closet neatly.

Day 10 is likely not tomorrow. I need a day to get some stuff for PTO done.

KrisM
10-21-2014, 06:27 AM
I have a couple small projects left, so I'm going to do the small cabinet in the dining room today. I don't think it's more than 15 minutes, so a good thing for today. PTO stuff include boxing things up in the basement, so that will help me out a lot for when I get to the basement days.

Mamabear4
10-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Days 9 & 10 done! I tackled the boys' closet

jgenie
10-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Day 9 - cleaned garage fridge / freezer!!

jgenie
10-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Day 10 - upstairs linen closet

mikeys_mom
10-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Day 9 - Organized and removed the clutter from on top of DD1's dresser. Most of the stuff didn't even belong in her room. It was a short task but I also got caught up on laundry and folding so didn't have a ton of extra time today.

mikeys_mom
10-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Day 10 - 3 days in a row now. Things are looking much better! Went through the pile of papers in the office. Also started working on a filing system at the same time. The one thing I did differently from when I usually sort through stuff is I didn't leave a "to deal with later" pile. Anything that required attention, I just took care of now so I could shred or file the related paper and not leave it hanging around. I had a good chunk of time so I felt that was a more efficient way to do it.

94bruin
02-16-2015, 02:17 AM
Day 9 - kitchen junk drawer
Day 10 - fish supplies

rlu
06-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Item 9
14. Go through “one size too small” clothes in bedroom closet – spark joy, keep – dispose of rest – DONE 6/7. Moving along 28 items, some in appropriate size to my sister, three gender neutral to DS (if he wants) and the remainder to Goodwill. These weren't all just "one size too small" - what was I thinking keeping size XS and S? I wore those in high school and college but this post-baby body is NOT going back into those. My side of the closet is looking much better. I got rid of almost a whole 33 capsule wardrobe (I'm not doing that but am familiar with the concept). Going back to turn hangers on all items to see what I really wear since I still have quite a bit in there.

item 10
22. To-do list for parents’ 50th anniversary party – putting a to-do list on this seems a cheat, but it’s a constant for next three months – DONE 6/9, redid planning spreadsheet to function as working to-do checklist.

jgenie
10-14-2015, 10:21 AM
Dining room table - DONE day 9

My dresser drawers - DONE - DAY 10