PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find Snow Boots

lizzywednesday
10-15-2014, 09:14 AM
OK, so last year I wore an old pair of Danskos in the snow and that was a pretty awful idea because I actually slipped on some ice in my driveway and wrenched my knee.

I waited far too long to get snow boots to get a good style at a reasonable price ... and didn't want to spend a lot for an item I'm unlikely to use often.

So, here's what I need:

Ladies size 10, wide width if possible (wide toebox is OK, but I really do need a wide), laces closed rather than zips (due to heavy legs), flat bottom, rubber sole with traction, full-boot (comes up above the ankle) NOT "bootie" or "hiking shoe" height, waterproof (not water-resistant) because the storm drains get blocked by plowbanks and there's a fairly deep puddle at the end of the driveway when things start melting.

Will most likely be used to shovel snow (relatively short driveway on an incline, plus a short walkway and equal amount of sidewalk) and play in snow with DD, so insulated is a plus, but not completely necessary - I can insulate my feet using multiple layers of socks.

Comfort is more important than style; I'll primarily be wearing them at home and I've yet to see a "fashionable" boot that also meets my other requirements.

Cost is tricky; ideally, I'd like to spend no more than $100, but that may not be possible. I can probably spend up to $150 for something that will last a long time.

I did consider the LL Bean Boot last year, but by the time I worked up the nerve to order a pair, they were backordered for weeks and I needed them immediately.

Will I get all my requirements with something other than the Bean Boot?

cookiemonster80
10-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I loooooove sorels and they are usually less than $100- there are lots of styles and are super comfy on my finicky feet

lizzywednesday
10-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I've tried Sorels and they're just not wide enough.

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Take 20 minutes and hit DSW. I found mine there. Bear Trap or Bear Paw, something with Bear/ Bare in the name. They have so many to choose from.

arivecchi
10-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I'd go with LLBean if you can't do Sorels.

BigDog
10-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Not sure if these meet all your criteria, but I wear a sz 10 and just bought these at Costco because the price was right...
http://m.costco.com/Khombu®-Ladiesâ%C2%80%C2%99-Nordic-Boot-Tan.product.100137569.html

nfowife
10-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I have black bogs and they are great. I have big calves (wear wide-calf boots and all that jazz) and the bogs fit great. They are comfy and with a pair of good wool socks (smartwool!) I can be outside for a long time. The only time my feet get cold in them is when I am standing on an ice rink after a while (when I take my kids to the pond to go skating, and it's already below freezing outdoors to begin with). They come up high and are absolutely waterproof. I have basic black ones and if you need more width (I have bunions so a wide toebox is necessary and the women's bogs are adequate for me) than that you can go to the mens sizes since you wear a 10. Under $100 as well. Highly recommend!

schums
10-15-2014, 01:40 PM
I second Bogs. I have a couple different pair that I wear depending on what I'm doing. I have the high ones, which are ok for playing in the snow or being out in 1+ foot type days. I also have a shorter style that comes up mid-calf (so much higher than a bootie). I wear these almost all the time. SUPER comfy and warm and completely waterproof. Definitely price shop - I've found them for well under $100. Sam's Club had the tall boots last year for $70is. Here are the two I have (and they come in lots of other colors/patterns)

Tall boot: http://www.amazon.com/Bogs-Womens-Classic-Handle-Waterproof/dp/B0022NI0FK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413394603&sr=8-4&keywords=bogs+women

Shorter boot: http://www.amazon.com/Bogs-Classic-Mid-Winterberry-Waterproof/dp/B00GUJY04C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1413394603&sr=8-7&keywords=bogs+women

lizzywednesday
10-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks everyone.

DSW and I don't get on - everything I think is either cute or going to fit ... doesn't. I have the same problem with Famous Footwear.

I've tried to try Bogs and they don't make it past my ankles.

I'm not getting suede anything and don't have a Costco membership. (I think my mother has let hers expire, too.)

Looks like I'm checking out the Bean Boots.

Kindra178
10-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Llb has ones that look like sorels this year. The traditional llb is also a great choice, although less functional than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon
10-15-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure what Bean Boots you mean exactly. I've had a pair of these waterproof winter boots (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35477?page=womens-llbean-boots-8)since about 2000 and I still use them. They look great and I wore them a lot the first few years I had them, working outside in ME in the winter--waking in snow and icy water most of the day. They aren't as warm now as my LE winter boots (which are more dressy and which I will wear indoor/outdoor all day) and I find them not supportive enough for very long (3+ mile) walks, but they do fine for several hours and they may fit the bill for what you describe.

ETA: I think mine might be the 10 inch boot. Also, for others considering Costco boots, we had a pair of kids Khomba and they fell apart (sole split from upper) before winter ended.

lizzywednesday
10-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Simon - Yes, those are the "Bean Boots" I've been considering since last year. I may end up getting the men's style for the width. I don't know that I'll be walking a great deal while wearing them. In a pinch, I'd consider inserts.

Kindra - What do you mean by "less functional"? I've also been looking at LE boots, but I'm not 100% sold on them and I have zero patience for the local Sears store to go & try on in person.

Kindra178
10-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Read the reviews. I think I read they don't do well on ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smillow
10-16-2014, 09:00 PM
I wear an 11 but I bought size 12 Bogs (the shorter ones) because I have a high instep that makes fitting boots extremely challenging. I added an Ugg insole (from Zappos) and can wear them with wool socks. They are very warm and very waterproof. Maybe try to size up?

nfowife
10-16-2014, 11:01 PM
I have found that many boots don't do great on ice. It's ice! I use yaktracks for ice. I actually use them often on the ice rink because I have to help my kids skate and I don't skate myself. They work great!

lizzywednesday
10-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Read the reviews. I think I read they don't do well on ice.

If they keep my feet dry, I can handle the ice. They'll have better traction than Danskos!

And I like the suggestion of YakTraks; I'll have to see.