PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Frye Kids boots for yourself?

acmom
10-26-2014, 09:58 PM
I have been searching for a pair of tall brown boots, but have been having trouble finding a pair that is not mid-calf and too casual, but not so tall that they hit the back of my knees when I sit. I am not quite 5'2" and have short legs along with one leg that is not quite straight so anything right at the knee sometimes highlights that! I have kids Hunters which work well for me height wise and the frye kids have a couple styles with the same shaft height. I'm thinking of trying a pair or two...anyone else ever try kids tall/riding boots?

niccig
10-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Not fryes, but I have kid's sorrels. Saved me a bunch of money. It's worth a try from a place with free shipping/returns.

mom2binsd
10-27-2014, 12:20 AM
I never have, but i'd try them. I buy kids sneakers all the time.

BananaMama
10-27-2014, 10:30 AM
I wear kids uggs and keens.

kboyle
10-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I didn't even know frye carried kids boots. I'm sure they'd work. I use kids uggs and toms and tennis shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneplustwo
10-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Just a note of caution. I got DD a pair of kid Fryes over a year ago during the Nordstrom anniversary sale (cheaper than Uggs!). She loved them but wore holes into the heels within 6 months. I returned them to Nordstrom where the salesperson in the kids shoe dept. said that the kid versions of Fryes just aren't as well made as the adult ones. I was able to exchange DD's pair for a new one, which we put aside till this fall. Well, she's developed holes AGAIN in both heels! She loves the boots though so I'm debating whether it's worth re-soling them or seeing about exchanging them again. I'm on the small side and wear some kid shoes and boots, but my two Fryes are women's. After DD's experience, I doubt I'll try kid Fryes.

robinsmommy
10-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Just a note of caution. I got DD a pair of kid Fryes over a year ago during the Nordstrom anniversary sale (cheaper than Uggs!). She loved them but wore holes into the heels within 6 months. I returned them to Nordstrom where the salesperson in the kids shoe dept. said that the kid versions of Fryes just aren't as well made as the adult ones. I was able to exchange DD's pair for a new one, which we put aside till this fall. Well, she's developed holes AGAIN in both heels! She loves the boots though so I'm debating whether it's worth re-soling them or seeing about exchanging them again. I'm on the small side and wear some kid shoes and boots, but my two Fryes are women's. After DD's experience, I doubt I'll try kid Fryes.

I can't speak to Fryes, but I do think that more than a few makers of kid/adult shoes make the kids' shoes less durable, counting on them being outgrown before they wear out. Kids' Keens are usually lighter weight and seem to have less arch support than the adult ones do. I do buy some kids' shoes, but choose carefully to make sure I am getting a good value/fit for the length of time I intend to own them and how much wear I will put on them. So Bogs, yes, but Keens for everyday heavy use, no.

Hemlock
10-28-2014, 03:48 PM
I think you would need to have VERY slim calves to fit the kid Frye tall boots. Some of the styles have a 12 inch calf circumference.

daisysmom
10-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Same exact thing happened to my dd's fryes that we hit her for Christmas last year. Come this sept, holes in the heals. Now she wore them a ton, versus me wearing mine maybe one day a week. But still I was disappointed.

twowhat?
10-28-2014, 10:19 PM
I have the same "bent leg at the knee" issue but with both knees. I had to experiment with lots of different shaft heights but found that one that hits just slightly above mid-calf works best for me. I am 5'6'' and have boots with an 11.5 inch shaft height. So I'd keep playing around with different shaft heights...don't limit your search to tall boots!

acmom
10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I got them in the mail yesterday - they fit and are comfortable and I like the boot, but thinking they might be too short...here are a couple pics.

I have the same "bent leg at the knee" issue but with both knees. I had to experiment with lots of different shaft heights but found that one that hits just slightly above mid-calf works best for me. I am 5'6'' and have boots with an 11.5 inch shaft height. So I'd keep playing around with different shaft heights...don't limit your search to tall boots!

Yes, I think that height might work for me too, but have been having trouble finding that height. Any specific boots that are that height that work for you?

twowhat?
10-29-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes, I think that height might work for me too, but have been having trouble finding that height. Any specific boots that are that height that work for you?

I think those look almost perfect for you...maybe needs to be just a bit taller. Can you measure the shaft height and then you will have a number to go by when shopping?

I have a pair of Born boots very similar to these:
http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=921833022

The ones I have are "Tessa" and have an 11.5 inch shaft height. These are shorter, but I think you're shorter than I am. They look pretty wide in the calf when I look at the pic of the model though but at the same time she's super tall and super skinny. If I remember right I searched for "mid-calf" boots when on Amazon or Zappos. Mid-calf is really heterogenous - lots of varying shaft heights.

acmom
10-29-2014, 02:39 PM
I think those look almost perfect for you...maybe needs to be just a bit taller. Can you measure the shaft height and then you will have a number to go by when shopping?

Thanks! I can't decide if they are close enough to keep since I like them otherwise and they fit well, or if I should send them back and keep looking. If they were just 1/2 inch taller, I don't think I would even hesitate! Great idea to measure the shaft as a reference point. Zappos lists their shaft as 11 inches. So i guess if I keep looking I should be looking in the 11.5-12.5 range maybe?

twowhat?
10-29-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks! I can't decide if they are close enough to keep since I like them otherwise and they fit well, or if I should send them back and keep looking. If they were just 1/2 inch taller, I don't think I would even hesitate! Great idea to measure the shaft as a reference point. Zappos lists their shaft as 11 inches. So i guess if I keep looking I should be looking in the 11.5-12.5 range maybe?

Yeah, I think looking in that range would be a great start! I'd probably expand that a bit and look for a 11-13 range because different boots will fit differently and the shaft height measurement isn't a perfect representation of where the boots will actually hit on your calf.

I do think that just another half inch or so on those Frye boots would've been perfect - that's about where my Born boots hit. Just ever so slightly above the widest point of my calf.

eta: you look great!!! :)

mom2binsd
10-29-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm 4'11" and I just got a pair of boots at TJ Maxx that are perfect if you're shorter, they are Natural Soul, style Boulder, for 49.99, they don't stick out at the top/sides like so many boots do and hit just below my knee and don't bug the back of my knee like so many boots do. I'll take a pic tomorrow, I'm already in my jammies.

I agree those Frye's are too short, how tall are you???

acmom
10-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys! I'm almost 5'2".

mom2binsd
10-30-2014, 02:20 PM
These are the natural soles boots by naturlizer that I love, getting lots of compliments at work!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2