PDA

View Full Version : Fire TV stick $19 today and tomorrow only (10/27 and 10/28)

erosenst
10-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Allows streaming of Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu, etc to your TV. $19 price on if you have Prime. If you do, it's a 'hard to pass up' price.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG/ref=br_imp_ara-1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-hero-1&pf_rd_r=075B0ZRX4GD3QW02YGV7&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1958528642&pf_rd_i=desktop

kboyle
10-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Awesome!! Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keh602
10-27-2014, 01:01 PM
DH is excited about this. :)

meggie t
10-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks! I don't currently stream anything so this will be a nice, cheap way to ease into it. :)

lovemydeals
10-27-2014, 01:54 PM
Does this support HBO GO?

gamma
10-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Showing as $39 for me now :( I even tried adding it to my cart.

erosenst
10-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Showing as $39 for me now :( I even tried adding it to my cart. It did same for me on my phone, but worked on my computer. Also - you have to be an Amazon Prime member to get this price.

Does this support HBO GO? No. Or depending what you read "Not yet".

Glad so many others have liked it. Considering buying one for a gift as well...something tells me that I will regret not doing so....

liz
10-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Ok, tell me why I would want this? I am tempted and I don't even know what it is, lol! I do have a Tivo and Amazon Prime.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

gamma
10-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks so much! Worked on my phone!

It did same for me on my phone, but worked on my computer. Also - you have to be an Amazon Prime member to get this price.

No. Or depending what you read "Not yet".

Glad so many others have liked it. Considering buying one for a gift as well...something tells me that I will regret not doing so....

Staraglimmer
10-27-2014, 02:49 PM
The sale price does not show up until checkout. I just bought 2.

okinawama
10-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Forgive me for my dumb questions...but it looks like it is a USB type device. Do all TV's have a USB?

erosenst
10-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Forgive me for my dumb questions...but it looks like it is a USB type device. Do all TV's have a USB? It does need a USB connection. Most new-ish TV's have this, but 'new-ish' is obviously relative.

Ok, tell me why I would want this? I am tempted and I don't even know what it is, lol! I do have a Tivo and Amazon Prime. It allows you to stream Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and ... a bunch of other stuff (! ) directly to your TV. If you are already Prime, there are about 40,000 free titles (although in full disclosure a lot that you want to watch you may need to pay for). If you're ever tempted to get something similar, this is an unbeatable price. If you never watch streaming stuff on your TV, or have and are content with the Video on Demand from your satellite/cable provider, this is probably not a great thing.

Mikey0709
10-27-2014, 03:26 PM
I read it has to be on an HDTV? Everyone else read this? We do currently have the FIRE tv - - and I believe we have that on a NON-HDTV (not high-def???).... i'm wondering if this would work the same?

melrose7
10-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Do I already have to pay for Prime/ Netflix/ Hulu for this to work? My husband has an apartment (so my daughter can attend her special needs school) with just a antenna. Would this work on his TV or do we need something else for this too work? It looks like it needs wifi?

Momit
10-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know if someone with Prime can buy this for someone without it? I guess you would just need to share your user name and password? But then if you cancel Prime it stops working?

KrisM
10-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Forgive me for my dumb questions...but it looks like it is a USB type device. Do all TV's have a USB?

It says it plugs into your HDMI port, not a USB.

ang79
10-27-2014, 04:16 PM
So we currently stream movies from Amazon (that we purchase for rental, we don't currently have Prime), as well as from other sites for TV shows. We have an HDMI cable hooked from DH's desktop computer to the TV. Does this do the same thing or is it better? I saw on the link at Amazon that you can access from a variety of places, but you need to have a paid subscription to them, correct (like Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.?) Or can you stream free stuff too?

Can I get it for this price if I have a trial of Prime? And do you need to continue to buy prime to use it?

Philly Mom
10-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Can you plug it into a computer to stream? What about a hotel TV? My DH travels a lot so just thinking about if he could use it while traveling.

barkley1
10-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Can you plug it into a computer to stream? What about a hotel TV? My DH travels a lot so just thinking about if he could use it while traveling.

It says this:

Take it with you on the go
Take Fire TV Stick with you and never miss an episode while you’re away from home visiting family or friends. Kids can take their favorite movies and TV shows with them to grandma’s house.

Coming soon—take Fire TV Stick with you to use with HDTVs in hotels, college dorms, airports, or anywhere with captive portal Internet access that requires entering a password or a log-in.

Thanks OP, got 2!

jgenie
10-27-2014, 05:17 PM
It's coming up as a preorder for me. Is that right?

Staraglimmer
10-27-2014, 05:47 PM
It's coming up as a preorder for me. Is that right?

Yes. It is a preorder.

Chitowngirl
10-27-2014, 06:00 PM
If you buy it now and decide later to cancel prime can you still watch shows or does it only work as long as you keep your prime active? I don't have Netflix or roku or any of those other things.

liz
10-27-2014, 06:12 PM
It allows you to stream Amazon Instant Video, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and ... a bunch of other stuff (! ) directly to your TV. If you are already Prime, there are about 40,000 free titles (although in full disclosure a lot that you want to watch you may need to pay for). If you're ever tempted to get something similar, this is an unbeatable price. If you never watch streaming stuff on your TV, or have and are content with the Video on Demand from your satellite/cable provider, this is probably not a great thing.

It says this:

Take it with you on the go
Take Fire TV Stick with you and never miss an episode while you’re away from home visiting family or friends. Kids can take their favorite movies and TV shows with them to grandma’s house.

Coming soon—take Fire TV Stick with you to use with HDTVs in hotels, college dorms, airports, or anywhere with captive portal Internet access that requires entering a password or a log-in.

Thanks for the info. I love the idea of taking it on vacation and having the kids be able to watch parent approved shows vs whatever junk is on tv. It seems like a really cool accessory and makes Amazon Prime a bit more attractive. I will have to ask DH how he feels about it for home use. I am pretty sure most of our HDMI ports are being used. Still, it's a great price. Thanks for posting OP!

liz
10-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I love the idea of taking it on vacation and having the kids be able to watch parent approved shows vs whatever junk is on tv. It seems like a really cool accessory and makes Amazon Prime a bit more attractive. I will have to ask DH how he feels about it for home use. I am pretty sure most of our HDMI ports are being used. Still, it's a great price. Thanks for posting OP!

Ok, in for two! I talked with DH and he thinks its great. We'll definitely keep one and we are giving another one as a Christmas gift. Thanks again for posting erosent!

FYI, my delivery date looks like Dec 16 even though they are releasing it on Nov 19.

hellokitty
10-27-2014, 07:27 PM
OK, dh kept asking, "how is this different from chromecast?" Then he was like, "eh, just get one and we'll try it for the upstairs tv."

Pinky
10-27-2014, 08:01 PM
From what I read it looks like it plugs into the HDMI port rather than USB.

Some TVs can access Netflix etc without this but I think this will just be way more user friendly!

OK, dh kept asking, "how is this different from chromecast?" Then he was like, "eh, just get one and we'll try it for the upstairs tv."

My DH said the exact same thing! :-) So we're in for one too.

Pinky
10-27-2014, 08:02 PM
For those of you getting them as a gift... Does the person already have prime? Trying to decide who we'd give one too. Always looking for Christmas gift ideas. :-)

Pinky
10-27-2014, 08:03 PM
Just thought of some... I wonder if this is going to display all your book purchases like the kindle fire does? LOL I don't want guests having easy access to my virtual bookshelf. *blush*

stillplayswithbarbies
10-27-2014, 08:07 PM
who is the benefit of the affiliate link in the original post? (smile.amazon) If my purchase is earning someone money I want to know where it is going before I shop.

Nyfeara
10-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Limit is now one per customer, not two. It was still saying two this afternoon. Bummer.

okinawama
10-27-2014, 08:43 PM
We just picked one up too.

liz
10-27-2014, 08:50 PM
For those of you getting them as a gift... Does the person already have prime? Trying to decide who we'd give one too. Always looking for Christmas gift ideas. :-)

We checked with the gift recipient if they have Prime and they do. Otherwise I wouldn't give it to them. I think it's a fun way to expand on Prime video content. Hopefully they'll like it!

ang79
10-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Is anyone who doesn't have Prime (or plan on continuing to pay for Prime after the free trial) getting this? We do not have Prime, but we do purchase and stream Amazon movies sometimes. Are any of the other apps or channels free without having to pay for a subscription? Just trying to figure out if we would actually get much benefit from this, over using our HDMI cable for streaming. Most of our streaming now is for TV shows from different websites (either the network websites if we miss a current show, or other places for older seasons and shows).

erosenst
10-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Can't figure out how to quote know my phone but to answer 'who is the benefit of the affiliate link in the original post? (smile.amazon) If my purchase is earning someone money I want to know where it is going before I shop.<br/>'

Oh... Forgot mine defaults to 'smile'. It benefits the central food bank for the middle part of my state. Feel free to not use that link.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

erosenst
10-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Hit 'send' too soon. If you haven't, go to smile. Amazon. Com (no spaces). You can choose from thousands of non-profits to get 5 pct of qualifying purchases. (Generally stuff sold by Amazon instead of third parties. There are some exclusions but not many.) It's an easy way to 'do good'.

Snow mom
10-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Hit 'send' too soon. If you haven't, go to smile. Amazon. Com (no spaces). You can choose from thousands of non-profits to get 5 pct of qualifying purchases. (Generally stuff sold by Amazon instead of third parties. There are some exclusions but not many.) It's an easy way to 'do good'.

It's 0.5% I believe but otherwise :thumbsup: to this. If you are going through a link that starts with smile.amazon.com it benefits the charity you chose, not the charity the OP chose. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have a charity selected--probably nothing.

stinkyfeet
10-28-2014, 12:14 AM

DS1's elementary school somehow signed up to get rewards from Amazon smile. For those of you in your DC's PTA, it might be worth looking into. [emoji6]

amarsh31
10-28-2014, 07:28 AM
We bit the bullet and ordered one. At $19 we couldn't resist.

hellokitty
10-28-2014, 08:27 AM
DS1's elementary school somehow signed up to get rewards from Amazon smile. For those of you in your DC's PTA, it might be worth looking into. [emoji6]

Yes, your PTO/PTA needs to be a (c)503 in order for them to sign up for the amzon smiles program. Our PTO finally did all the paperwork last yr and that's who my affiliate is every time we buy from amazon. There are some items that are exempt though, not sure which ones, but the way amazon smiles words it, not every single purchase is qualifying for the affiliate program.

Blue Hydrangea
10-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks OP! Just ordered one for DH for Christmas- but the delivery date was listed as 12/24.... EEEK! I don't know if there's a any hope for an earlier delivery, but we travel for Christmas and I will be biting my nails for sure as I get everyone else's gifts wrapped and set under the tree. :shrug:

div_0305
10-28-2014, 10:39 AM
How did some of you order 2, or did you order only 1 at the $19 price? I got a message saying I could only buy 1, which I bought. Very cool deal!

Giantbear
10-28-2014, 10:47 AM
i ordered just one, it is portable, so i can move it around the house and the main tv already is a smart tv. Looks like a great deal to me

hellokitty
10-28-2014, 10:58 AM
How did some of you order 2, or did you order only 1 at the $19 price? I got a message saying I could only buy 1, which I bought. Very cool deal!

I think that at one pt they changed it. Some ppl here were able to get 2 before they changed it. By the time I put in an order last night, there was no choice, just 1.

erosenst
10-28-2014, 11:35 AM
I think that at one pt they changed it. Some ppl here were able to get 2 before they changed it. By the time I put in an order last night, there was no choice, just 1. I think this is true. I ordered yesterday morning and have an 11/19 delivery date. I know others who ordered throughout yesterday/through this morning and the delivery date keeps creeping later (ie I know some with late November, early December, mid December, and now 12/24).

Mermaid13
10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Thank you! I just ordered one!

stinkyfeet
10-28-2014, 03:33 PM
I think this is true. I ordered yesterday morning and have an 11/19 delivery date. I know others who ordered throughout yesterday/through this morning and the delivery date keeps creeping later (ie I know some with late November, early December, mid December, and now 12/24).

Yes, I just ordered and my estimated delivery is 1/5/15!

Sopamanda
10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Yup. 1/5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staraglimmer
10-28-2014, 04:41 PM
I ordered 2 yesterday at $19.xx with a 11/19 delivery. I guess it was so popular that they decided to change the limit to 1 and have had to push back delivery.

Edensmum
10-28-2014, 07:16 PM
Does your tv need a usb port?

Snow mom
10-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Does your tv need a usb port?

I believe it goes in the HDMI port.

zukeypur
10-28-2014, 08:42 PM
How similar is this to chromecast? We have a chromecast and I hate it. It's in a drawer and we use the Roku instead.

Pinky
10-28-2014, 10:19 PM
How similar is this to chromecast? We have a chromecast and I hate it. It's in a drawer and we use the Roku instead.

Can you tell me about chromecast? Do you have to run it via a computer/device? Or does it plug straight into the TV like this one will?

zukeypur
10-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Chromecast plugs straight into the HDMI port on the TV and also requires a power outlet. Honestly, I don't find that it's worth $35 unless you just watch netflix.