PDA

View Full Version : SF in early Dec?

twowhat?
11-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I'll be there for work for 6 full days. It's early, but I want to make sure I have everything I need, business-clothes-wise! Most days I can be fairly casual but I have a day and an evening requiring business wear.

I know the weather can fluctuate there but I'll be inside most of the time, with some cab travel to other indoor locations so I think at most I need a layer just for transitioning between car/building.

To add to the challenge, I am a light packer - I don't want to bring more than I can carry on the plane! I've done this in the past for places like New Orleans, Atlanta but those are easier since it doesn't get that cold.

Here's what I have so far:

For casual:

My Born Tessa gray boots which I will wear on the plane, and for all the things where casual is fine. I do a TON of convention center walking (and I mean a TON) so comfort is super important. I am assuming folks do wear boots in the winter in SF, right? I planned to only bring 2 pairs of shoes - the boots and something more business appropriate
LE sideways cable cardi - impressively warm. Will probably wear on plane since it is thick.
A pair of leggings, ponte pants, skinny jeans
Tunic tops, wrap dress, cardi
Boden scarf
A knit blazer

For business:

J Crew black stretch cotton puff-sleeve blazer
BR black sheath dress
J Crew tomato red sheath dress
I'll switch the dresses up underneath the blazer so I could wear to a couple of business events
Tights? Would opaque black work for both? I also have opaque gray.
MK city flat in black patent. It's not the most stylish but it's inoffensive and my feet are so picky...and I need them to be somewhat comfortable since I do a lot of walking back and forth doing things for people. It just looks like a ballet flat at a glance. I'll still need bandaids for my heels.

I don't need to pack much more. I don't even pack a hairbrush because I have a short cut that is finger-styled and air-dried. I just bring toothpaste, toothbrush, my face wash, neutrogena makeup remover wipes, a foundation brush, Make Up Forever HD foundation, my face lotion, a neutral-ish lip color (Burt's Bees in fig), and Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets. That's literally it. No blush, no mascara (can't wear it with glasses), no eye makeup, nothing else. It all goes into a single small toiletry bag. I'll be carrying a backpack big enough for my computer and accessories, digital camera, wristlet, bottle of water, and just enough extra room to stuff an extra cardi and snack.

Do I need anything else for SF? Do I need to bring a coat at all? I really don't expect to be outside much.

smiles33
11-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Your packing list sounds quite good to me. Typical December daytime temps in SF are probably in the 50s, so if you're coming from a colder climate, this will likely feel warm to you. There could be a chance of rain then (we need every drop!), but you'll be inside 90% of the time, right? Yes, we wear boots out here, but obviously we don't get snow (or much rain) so they tend to be dressy boots as opposed to something practical/functional like Kamik or Mukluks. Depending on the industry you're in (e.g., high tech versus law), you'll see tons of folks wearing business casual boots in the office, too.

As for the coat, I'd leave it at home unless you need it for your return trip. Layering with the blazer (or the cardigan if it's a casual outfit day) should be good enough to deal with brief outings outdoors. Personally, I'd really be a little chilly than lug a heavy winter coat that I'd only need for the walk from the sidewalk to a taxi. With that said, taxis are not as ubiquitous in SF as in NYC, so you could be standing around waiting for a while if you're not just climbing into taxis at hotel stands. There's always Uber, if you don't want to be at the mercy of finding a taxi from the sidewalk.

Have a great time!

twowhat?
11-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Your packing list sounds quite good to me. Typical December daytime temps in SF are probably in the 50s, so if you're coming from a colder climate, this will likely feel warm to you. There could be a chance of rain then (we need every drop!), but you'll be inside 90% of the time, right? Yes, we wear boots out here, but obviously we don't get snow (or much rain) so they tend to be dressy boots as opposed to something practical/functional like Kamik or Mukluks. Depending on the industry you're in (e.g., high tech versus law), you'll see tons of folks wearing business casual boots in the office, too.

As for the coat, I'd leave it at home unless you need it for your return trip. Layering with the blazer (or the cardigan if it's a casual outfit day) should be good enough to deal with brief outings outdoors. Personally, I'd really be a little chilly than lug a heavy winter coat that I'd only need for the walk from the sidewalk to a taxi. With that said, taxis are not as ubiquitous in SF as in NYC, so you could be standing around waiting for a while if you're not just climbing into taxis at hotel stands. There's always Uber, if you don't want to be at the mercy of finding a taxi from the sidewalk.

Have a great time!

Thanks, this helps a lot! I'll leave the coat at home. I'll always be catching a cab from hotel stands or using convention center shuttles which will be set up to come fairly frequently. There will be tons of international folks there as well so I'll see a huge range of things in terms of how people dress but just need to look polished for the business meetings:) I'm like you - I'd also rather be briefly chilly than to have to lug a heavier coat.

mjs64
11-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Going to dissent--mornings and nights are very, very chilly. I would not want to be without a coat if I had to leave the hotel for some unforeseen reason.

smiles33
11-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Going to dissent--mornings and nights are very, very chilly. I would not want to be without a coat if I had to leave the hotel for some unforeseen reason.

I smiled at this, because in my "spin-off" thread re: going to NYC in November (when highs are in the low 40s and the lows are in the 30s), a few non-Californian posters dismissed my idea of bringing a scarf, leather gloves, and other cold weather accessories. We Californians really are very sensitive to cold, I guess, as I see you're from SoCal. :)

Anyway, I'm assuming twowhat? is not from California and thus lows in the high 40s and low 50s are not "very, very chilly" to her.

mjs64
11-02-2014, 02:05 PM
You're so right! I freeze below 50!

Moved to the Bay Area a year ago--need to change my siggie.

twowhat?
11-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I smiled at this, because in my "spin-off" thread re: going to NYC in November (when highs are in the low 40s and the lows are in the 30s), a few non-Californian posters dismissed my idea of bringing a scarf, leather gloves, and other cold weather accessories. We Californians really are very sensitive to cold, I guess, as I see you're from SoCal. :)

Anyway, I'm assuming twowhat? is not from California and thus lows in the high 40s and low 50s are not "very, very chilly" to her.

LOL. I'm from north TX actually - so we do get days of good bitter cold in the winters. 40s and 50s don't bother me as long as I'm not out there for an extended period of time.

TwinFoxes
11-02-2014, 03:56 PM

:yeahthat: Same here, the first thing I thought was "you're going to freeze your a** off"! It's not the air temps, it's that awful wind. Brrrrr.

But hey, SF has great shopping, if you find out you're cold, hit the shops. ;)

twowhat?
11-02-2014, 04:03 PM
:yeahthat: Same here, the first thing I thought was "you're going to freeze your a** off"! It's not the air temps, it's that awful wind. Brrrrr.

But hey, SF has great shopping, if you find out you're cold, hit the shops. ;)

Yeah, I know about the wind:) But I do think I'll be OK. I will unfortunately be working 15-18 hour days virtually every day (NOT looking forward to this meeting AT ALL). So I won't be seeing much outside of the convention center or a hotel room or meeting space or airport. No shopping for me:(

mjs64
11-02-2014, 04:04 PM
LOL. I'm from north TX actually - so we do get days of good bitter cold in the winters. 40s and 50s don't bother me as long as I'm not out there for an extended period of time.

Too funny--I'm originally from North TX. I guess I get cold no matter where I am. Even now, TX in winter feels cold to me. This am I was freezing; last nights low was 48. I'm a wimp.

twowhat?
11-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Too funny--I'm originally from North TX. I guess I get cold no matter where I am. Even now, TX in winter feels cold to me. This am I was freezing; last nights low was 48. I'm a wimp.

You aren't the only one. It cracks me up when at the first cold front dropping highs in to the 60s, people break out their coats, boots, and hats. Even I find that pretty hilarious, and I was born and raised here!

It does get truly cold here in the winter though...last year we had a string of below freezing days surrounding that massive ice storm and towards the end of it both DH (grew up in the NE) and I (weird Texan who likes cold weather) were like ENOUGH!

westwoodmom04
11-02-2014, 08:18 PM
I'd bring some type of coat. I'm use to winters in the northeast but San Francisco can be windy and damp.

TwinFoxes
11-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I know about the wind:) But I do think I'll be OK. I will unfortunately be working 15-18 hour days virtually every day (NOT looking forward to this meeting AT ALL). So I won't be seeing much outside of the convention center or a hotel room or meeting space or airport. No shopping for me:(

I'll just point out walking to meetings or hailing a cab will seem like an eternity.

Are you going to be at Moscone Center? Lots of shopping probably on the way back to your hotel. (I'm a bad influence!)

twowhat?
11-04-2014, 06:45 PM
I'll just point out walking to meetings or hailing a cab will seem like an eternity.

Are you going to be at Moscone Center? Lots of shopping probably on the way back to your hotel. (I'm a bad influence!)

Yes. And my hotel isn't within walking distance to my hotel. This is a HUGE international meeting and there will be extensive shuttle bus service between Moscone and all the surrounding hotels that will run every 15-20 min. So I really won't be outside a whole lot. It will be a sad existence over several days of only seeing the inside of my hotel, Moscone, and other hotel meeting rooms. Seriously not looking forward to it.

Trust me though - I WISH WISH WISH I could have time to shop!!! LOL!!!!