PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Disney in So. Cal. what time to leave?

ExcitedMamma
11-03-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm planning on taking the kids solo to DL from Newport Beach the first week of Dec. DH will be at a conference so I'll have the kids M-F which seems like a great time to take them to Disney. I'm hoping crowds will be light because I don't think schools are out the week after Thanksgiving (right?) but I have no idea if that route is at all busy during rush hour mornings. Should I just get up and head to the park for openings or will we be sitting in traffic? My kids are little (4 and 2) so I don't want to force them to sit in traffic too long if we could just get there quickly later. What about heading back to the hotel? Not sure if we would actually stay all day but just curious if we did what traffic would be like if we left in the afternoon or early evening. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2014, 11:54 PM
I was 6m pregnant when we drove from Malibu to DL at 4pm. I desperately needed a bathroom and we just say in traffic. Everyone we worked over to a right lane/ exit, more lanes would've show on the right. It was a pure torture!! I think id always avoid potential rush hours of 7-9 and 4-7.

sariana
11-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Malibu is much farther from DL than Newport Beach! From NB you probably would take the 55, which always is a nightmare. But it isn't far, so even in traffic it's not horrendous. Well, it's horrendous, but not for long.

I would allow an hour from NB to DL. You are going to hit traffic at any time of the day, and "rush hour" lasts too long to wait it out. Does the park open at 8 on those days, or later?

For the return, you will be better off waiting until after 7 to head back to NB if you can. The hours from 3-7 are the worst in the afternoon/evening.

My DH drives from south county to very near DL every day. It takes him less than an hour, leaving at 7 am. The route from NB to DL is shorter, but more of it is the congested part. I think giving yourself an hour should be good.

jbbhb
11-04-2014, 03:28 PM
In the morning I would leave by seven or after nine. If your kids are early risers, you could drive there and park and grab breakfast at downtown Disney while you wait for the park to open. It should take you 20-30 depending on where you are staying in newport.

In the evenings, like Sariana mentioned, I would avoid 3-7pm if possible but worse case, even in rush hour, it shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to an hour.

You will take the 55 north to the 5 north, and if I'm not mistaken, you can stay in the carpool lane the whole time, including a carpool exit to disneyland. That will help some.

TwinFoxes
11-04-2014, 04:32 PM
In the morning I would leave by seven or after nine. If your kids are early risers, you could drive there and park and grab breakfast at downtown Disney while you wait for the park to open. It should take you 20-30 depending on where you are staying in newport.

In the evenings, like Sariana mentioned, I would avoid 3-7pm if possible but worse case, even in rush hour, it shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to an hour.

You will take the 55 north to the 5 north, and if I'm not mistaken, you can stay in the carpool lane the whole time, including a carpool exit to disneyland. That will help some.

:yeahthat: That's a great week to go. The crowd levels will be good. You should check park opening and closing times. No use leaving at 7am if the parks don't open until 9.