PDA

View Full Version : Low/No carb make-ahead meals?

Liziz
11-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Ok, I need help from anyone that follows a low/no-carb diet!

I am bringing food to a family that has a new baby. They eat "no or very low carb" as described by them. I have never once contemplated carbs in my cooking -- I'm sure all my regular meals are filled with them!

I am aiming for something I can make over the weekend and freeze (or keep refrigerated, doesn't have to be frozen) then deliver for them to heat up. I work, so I won't have time to cook it and then bring it over (I'm bringing food over on a weekday) immediately. I usually do a casserole type dish (like a baked pasta dish or enchiladas) -- but I'm pretty sure those are all carb-laden.

Help!

bigsis
11-05-2014, 11:16 PM
How about chili? My go-to chili recipe is in the back of this chili packet:

http://www.mccormick.com/Lawrys/Flavors/Seasoning-Mixes/Chili

mikala
11-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Veggie or tomato soup
Crustless quiche- grease pan and sprinkle a bit of shredded cheese instead of using a crust
Salad

specialp
11-06-2014, 08:46 AM
Yes, crustless quiche freezes well. I do nothing for a crust.

You could do chicken burritos using low carb tortillas. If you flash freeze them individually, you can then put them in a ziploc bag and the person can pull one out at a time. I just sautee an onion, add shredded cooked chicken, taco seasoning, salsa, 1/4 c. sour cream or cream cheese, and 1/2 c. cheddar cheese. Put 1/4 cup. per burrito and roll up.

A lasgna type casserole: Brown 1 lb. of Italian sausage (removed from casings) 1.lb. ground beef w/ onion. Add one bag of cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage w/ carrots - 16 oz.). When that is wilted down a bit, add one jar of marinara sauce. (Ragu or Prego has a light no sugar added that is relatively low in carbs). Put into a casserole pan. (I but into 2 8x8 tin pans as it makes way too much for us and I freeze the other one for later). In another bowl, take 16 oz. of ricotta cheese and mix in garlic powder, salt, and 1/2 parmesan. Crumble and spread that mixture on top of meat, trying to cover as much as you can. Sprinkle with 1 to 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. You can freeze it as this stage and then write directions on it to thaw, remove foil, bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

A lot of my other recipes would use ingredients you don't have.

brittone2
11-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Agree crustless quiche and chili would work. I make chicken soup but use shredded hearts of palm. I buy the huge jars at costco and shred them in my food processor as the "rice."

Grilled chicken breast can be flash frozen (freeze on a cookie tray or platter til firm; roughly and hour or two). You could take that over with a big salad or container of salad greens.

Taco filling and then bring over a salad to go with it. You could send guac or sour cream or shredded cheese.

Meatloaf without breadcrumbs (lots of recipes online) or meatballs without breadcrumbs

BunnyBee
11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
If you do chili, I wouldn't use beans. They're pretty high in carbs and affect some people's blood sugar.

I'd bring a roasted chicken (whole or bone-in parts) and mostly lettuce salad. Oh, freezing--brittone's taco filling and salad idea is great!

Liziz
11-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the ideas, everyone!