PDA

View Full Version : help me pick out a new winter coat

gcc2k
11-18-2014, 08:26 PM
As I was bundling up in the 35 degree weather to play outside with the kids today, I realized my winter coat is nearly 20 years old. I got it when I was in high school! It's also a little snugger than it used to be... Anyway, I thought a new coat would be a good Christmas gift idea. This is the coat for wearing outside when playing in the snow or sitting through a frigid high school football game while DH announces. I have plenty of fleeces, a couple pea coats, a leather jacket and a jean jacket. But I need something very warm. I'm not super concerned about looking stylish, but bonus points if it is! I would love for it to come to mid-thigh and cover my butt. I'm not looking to spend more than $100, too, if that is even possible. Suggestions? I have no idea where to begin.

ETA: not a fan of the puffy sleeping bag coat look. (I don't need to look any more puffy than I already am!)

Twin Mom
11-18-2014, 08:47 PM
I would get a down jacket from LL Bean, Lands End or TJ Maxx/Marshalls. I want a North Face down jacket but I'm too cheap to pay that much so right now I have my super old Gap down jacket and one that I bought at the end of the season last year at Lands End that looks like the link below but in a wine color. I got a great deal so that's why I"m keeping it.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-featherlight-down-jacket/id_264237?CM_MERCH=DTP_SEARCH_null&action=DTP_SEARCH_null&query=featherweight%20down#

Kindra178
11-18-2014, 09:10 PM
The LLB ultra light series seems perfect for your needs. There are multiple lengths available (well past the knee, above the knee and jacket length). TNF Arctic Parka is down and very warm but has a waterproof outside, so it doesn't have the sleeping bag look.

mackmama
11-18-2014, 10:57 PM
The Patagonia 3-in-1 coat. It is so comfortable and so warm.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Take a look at Costco. They have some good ones.

gcc2k
11-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!

Twoboos
11-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Try Lands End, too. I have a long (just above knee) length down jacket from LE that's been great so far.

legaleagle
11-20-2014, 01:07 PM
I have a lole coat I got from STP last year that's fantastic. Down but not super puffy, perfect mid-thigh length. STP always has tons of options.