PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Buying Different Size Ranges

StantonHyde
11-24-2014, 11:07 PM
So--Talbots has a really cute Shetland A line sweater and a jacket. BUT--the size I need in the colors I want isn't available.

skirt
http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi33904&N=0&Ntt=shetland&selectedConcept=

jacket
http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi33915&N=0&Ntt=shetland&selectedConcept=

Here's the stats on me--I usually wear a 12 skirt in Talbots and I like getting a 14 jacket because I like having more room in the shoulders. (I am 5'10"). For the skirt--I can get the red in a 12 but the grey is only in a 14. I could get the 14 and get it tailored OR could I buy the petite 12--it's just an inch or so shorter. Misses size is 20.5", petite is 19.5". It shows it just above the knee on the model. I am going to wear it with flat boots and tights. I am telling myself it will just be a little shorter and it should be fine. Am I wrong? Is it smaller in the waist or something like that??

For the jacket--I want the Arctic Blue. But it is sold out in Misses. It is available in Womens. It just says the Womens is 2" longer than the Misses--that's fine with me, I have a very long torso and getting jackets long enough can be hard. What if I got the 12 in the Womens? Would it just be super wide and way too big on me? Or might it fit more like a regular 14?

There is a Talbots locally so I can take things back. I just want to be able to hop on line and get the killer Black Friday deal vs. fighting traffic and crowds on BF. What do you think???? TIA!

abh5e8
11-25-2014, 01:25 AM
Buy all the sizes and take back what doesnt fit. :)

gymnbomb
11-25-2014, 04:14 AM

:yeahthat:

Sometimes petites are cut differently in other ways too, though that difference may be less in skirts as compared to pants. If I had to guess, the 14P may be closer to a 12 regular in dimensions other than length. It works that way in many but not all brands. I only buy bottoms from Talbots in petite sizes, but I know in their tops for example if they are out of a petite large they ask if you have tried the regular medium.

MaiseyDog
11-25-2014, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't imagin there would be too much problem with the petite skirt other than being shorter. The jacket may be a problem. Women's sizes then to be cut a little broader in the shoulders and allow for more room in the chest. I would order a size down if you go with the women's size. I wear a size 16 in misses's or a size 14 in women's in tops at talbots. In bottoms I can go down to a 12 women's and it typically still works.

echoesofspring
11-25-2014, 01:07 PM
If I had to guess, the 14P may be closer to a 12 regular in dimensions other than length

This. I'm a petite and if I go over to misses, I usually need to go down a size. Skirts might not be as much of a problem as dresses and pants, it usually has to do with inseams and where the waist is hitting, etc.

StantonHyde
11-25-2014, 03:14 PM

I think this is what is going to happen:)

Thanks for all the feedback from other folks who go back and forth trying to find what fits best and is in stock!