PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express/babies

flashy09
11-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Is this safe with a 10 month old and 3 yr old? No carseats allowed. Doubt a seat belt would fit the 3 yr old and obviously have to hold the baby.

I am a big carseat safety nut, but also trying to not be an overprotective kill joy! I know limos and taxis need carseats, but I am unsure about bus safety.

Thanks!!

belovedgandp
11-28-2014, 05:44 PM
It is a big motorcoach bus that does not have seat belts. We went with a 3 1/2 YO and 10 week old several years ago. Since the baby was so young I did have him in the infant bucket seat. We also used it on the plane for the baby. 3YO traveled fine in the plane and on the bus without a carseat.

The magical express is so convenient. The added hassle of renting a car and dealing with carseats when we were on Disney property and never left was not worth it for me.

KrisM
11-28-2014, 06:14 PM
It is a big motorcoach bus that does not have seat belts. We went with a 3 1/2 YO and 10 week old several years ago. Since the baby was so young I did have him in the infant bucket seat. We also used it on the plane for the baby. 3YO traveled fine in the plane and on the bus without a carseat.

The magical express is so convenient. The added hassle of renting a car and dealing with carseats when we were on Disney property and never left was not worth it for me.

We went in April and both ways had seat belts. DS2 was 5 and still harnessed here, but sat in it with no other seat just fine. Lots of people didn't wear them, but we did and most kids seemed to.

flashy09
11-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Is a (not quite/just turning) 3 yr old going to fit in the seat belt? It's ok to hold the baby?

barkley1
11-28-2014, 11:10 PM
Is a (not quite/just turning) 3 yr old going to fit in the seat belt? It's ok to hold the baby?

We went in October, and ours had seatbelts. Both the 3 and 5 yo wore them (us, too, of course), but we had to put the shoulder belt part behind their back bc it was hitting right on their neck.

I'm a big car seat safety nut, too, but it felt ok to me. Big bus, went slow on the highway, short trip, etc.

GoBlue
12-07-2014, 12:31 AM
I'll be the voice of dissent.

Has there ever been a Magical Express bus accident? No. But G-d forbid there was one, your unrestrained baby in your lap is going to be badly injured.

We've been to Disney 3 times with our girls. I won't take the DME until the little one is 6 or 7. We used to rent a car, which was a massive PITA. Last year we took Happy Limo, which was terrific. Brought our car seats, then stored them in the closet in the room during the trip. Happy Limo will stop at a grocery store en route to the hotel for no extra cost: a huge perk, so you end up with a case of water and food for the room and the parks. The DME can also be slow: if your hotel is last on the drop off tour, it can be awhile, and you may not get your luggage for many hours.

flashy09
12-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Well, I did it. The seat belt didn't fit my 3 yr at all - like shoulder belt in her face - and I held my baby. I am the sort of person that reads obscure carseat safety reports from the NHSTA so I was a little twitchy, but the bus is huge and slow and so convenient. Glad I did it now that we all lived but will happier when I can belt the kids in!

123LuckyMom
12-15-2014, 09:54 PM
I did it, too. I had an 11 month old and a 4,5 year old, and none of us wore seatbelts that I can recall. The motor coach is a very large, heavy vehicle driven at reasonable speed. If there were to be an accident, I suspect the coach would be the "winner." I would go ahead and take the Disney transportation.