PDA

View Full Version : Warmest mittens?

khalloc
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
My hands are always cold in the winter. Last winter I bought a pair of ski gloves at Costco, thinking they would be warm - well they are very thick, my fingers are so cold in them! I decided to go the Mitten route this year. Was going to buy LL Bean Baxter State Mittens, but they look sold out now in size Small. I need something super warm, and waterproof would be nice.

pastrygirl
12-02-2014, 03:44 PM
My hands only stay warm in mittens, too. Gloves just insulate the cold!. But. I found these gloves a couple of years ago and they actually work for me. North Face insulated Denali gloves, the furry ones. They're not waterproof, though.

123LuckyMom
12-02-2014, 03:49 PM
The trick with gloves is that you have to put them on BEFORE your hands get cold. If you do that, they'll work. If not, you're screwed. Mittens will warm your cold hands up because they let the fingers gain warmth from each other. The warmest mittens I have are shearling from LL Bean. They're about 20 years old, I think, and still going strong. I do okay with insulated fleece gloves, though. I just remember to put them on with my coat BEFORE I leave the house or place of warmth.

khalloc
12-03-2014, 09:23 AM
See my hands are cold just being inside the house with moderate heat on. So i will put the gloves on before i leave the house, but my hands are already cold then. Definitely need mittens. Shearling sounds wonderful since I just love my Ugg slippers! My feet are always cold too and Uggs keep my feet toasty warm.

gymnbomb
12-03-2014, 09:53 AM
My hands are always cold in the winter. Last winter I bought a pair of ski gloves at Costco, thinking they would be warm - well they are very thick, my fingers are so cold in them! I decided to go the Mitten route this year. Was going to buy LL Bean Baxter State Mittens, but they look sold out now in size Small. I need something super warm, and waterproof would be nice.

Sounds like you have small hands -- if you are having trouble finding them in women's sizes, check out the kids sizes. I have small hands and most of my gloves are size medium or large in kids.

Twoboos
12-03-2014, 10:00 AM
See my hands are cold just being inside the house with moderate heat on. So i will put the gloves on before i leave the house, but my hands are already cold then. Definitely need mittens. Shearling sounds wonderful since I just love my Ugg slippers! My feet are always cold too and Uggs keep my feet toasty warm.

Actually UGG makes gloves and mittens. I got some for Christmas last year (or the year before?). They were awesome - except right out of the box they were ripped along a seam. I was so disappointed - for gloves that price I expect to wear them to my grave! I returned to Nordstrom and was going to get another pair but the girl said they get back lots of them for seam rips. So I said forget it. Seriously UGG, you can't do better??

I am going to look into the North Face ones. My hands are always cold so I'm usually putting on gloves/mittens on already cold fingers, too.

tarnator
12-04-2014, 12:49 AM
I always have to go for mittens too. I am always amazed at how many look perfect, but when you go to put your hand inside they have separate slots for each finger. Why? I need my fingers to be together to stay warm!

I have been muddling along with an old pair of knit ones from a store that has now gone out of business... :(

mskitty
12-04-2014, 01:31 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Womens-GORE-TEX174-Pinnacle-Mittens/1832959.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5101101%26 Ne%3D5101101%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmittens%2 6Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%2 53BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form _state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dmittens%26searchTyp eByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=mittens&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
I have something similar to this. Mine are a couple years old and are just standard mittens. Great for shoveling snow when it's freezing outside.

Have you tried silk glove liners? They are like long underwear for your fingers. I can't find the ones I have but this gives you the idea.
http://www.campmor.com/terramar-thermasilk-ec2-qwik-dri-100-pure-silk-glove-liners.shtml

khalloc
12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
I found the LL Bean ones in at the Dedham, MA store. My mom lives 10 minutes away so she is going to pick them up for me and send them to me. Hopefully they keep my hands warm. I'll let you know!

Ugg mittens sound amazing if they didnt rip on the seams. There are some places here in VT that sell sheepskin/shearling lined mittens too. But I didnt want to have to go the leather route, but I will if i need to!

arivecchi
12-04-2014, 03:58 PM
I have UGG gloves for super cold days and they are heavenly. I have not had any issues with the seams. However, I also got some cheap pair of gloves from Costco that I use for sledding, outdoor activities that are very warm. Can't recall the brand. Which llbean ones did you get?

khalloc
12-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I am getting the Baxter State mittens. Hope they are toasty warm!

khalloc
12-12-2014, 10:36 AM
I ended up getting these mittens (LL Bean Baxter State). My mom picked them up at the store and bought them, and LL Bean shipped them from the store to my house for free! Anyways, they are super warm. I love them. I wish they were a tiny bit smaller though. They are probably 1/2" too long for me and they are a size small.