PDA

View Full Version : Did you have your tubes tied?

Mopey
12-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I found out a girlfriend had her tubes tied after her last baby (all C's). I will have another C most likely and so have started thinking about this possibility. Has anyone done this? Pros and cons please? TIA!

hillview
12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
nope -- DH got the bag of peas. After 2 c-sections it was his turn.

AngB
12-02-2014, 11:20 PM
I've had 3 c-sections, my first of which was vertical/classic incision. We want one more kid and have the ok from my OB and high risk doctor/MFM, but I probably will get my tubes tied if/when/during my 4th c-section. I'm only 30 though, so I really don't love the thought of doing something so permanent, especially after living through some of the worst case scenarios, but I figure I could do IVF to get pregnant if for whatever crazy reason we changed our mind and decided we had to have another, and we would have to give serious consideration to using a surrogate/adoption/etc. anyway because I really can't see either of my doctors being thrilled with a 5th c-section when my pregnancies are already high risk for other reasons.

Liziz
12-02-2014, 11:59 PM
My mom wanted her tubes tied right after delivering my younger brother. The OB pushed her not to -- said he recommended not making the decision in the highly emotional time around a new baby and to wait awhile. They did....and then younger sister happened by surprise....she got her tubes tied immediately after younger sister was delivered!!! She said it didn't seem like recovery was any worse/harder because of it.

DietCokeLover
12-03-2014, 12:17 AM
I had mine tied after DS. I knew I was done and was opened up anyway (2nd c section). No extra recovery time, so seemed easy enough. I had already discussed it with my doctor about midway through my pregnancy.

KpbS
12-03-2014, 12:38 AM
No, DH had a V later. My last 2 were Cs, but I really wanted to make sure that DC3 was healthy before we took any final measures.

cuca_
12-03-2014, 08:03 AM
I had my tubes tied during my 4th c-section. I thought my recovery was a bit harder, but I don't know if that was attributable to the tube tying or the fact that I had 3 young kids at home. I remember reading here that there is a higher failure rate associated to having your tubes tied during a c-section vs. having the procedure done separately, but I can't remember the details.

Nyfeara
12-03-2014, 09:05 AM
I had my tubes tied during my 2nd C. We were done and we had made the decision earlier in the pregnancy that since I was already on the table, may as well do it then. DH was going to have a V as well, but shortly after DS2, he had valve replacement surgery and is now on coumadin and we're a bit more wary about any kind of surgery. So, I'm glad I just went ahead & had it done.

The recovery was really no different. I had a little bit of isolated pain on one side, for one day that I didn't have the during the first C. Dr mentioned that it was common with the tubal ligation. It was nothing major, just a dull ache.

kdeunc
12-03-2014, 09:22 AM
I had mine tied after my 3rd c-section. I knew we were done with 3 and I was 38. i had issues with recovery and in fact that one may have been my easiest recovery. If I had not had sections DH would have had a vasectomy.

hellokitty
12-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I didn't have cesareans, but dh and I both agreed it was his turn after 3 vaginal births.

abh5e8
12-03-2014, 11:24 AM
no. dh will have a V. but still not sure when. we might like one more. (but no sections here, so I don't want an abdominal surgery)

HannaAddict
12-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Nope. The big V for him. My OB said it isn't just a tiny add on to a c-section and they don't recommend doing it as part of the c-section anyway. A V is less invasive and more minor too. I don't know any women IRL of my generation who have done it, only women from my mom's generation. The V is the norm for our group.

sste
12-03-2014, 01:25 PM
No but various medical staff offered to no less than six times when I checked into the hospital for my planned c-section. They want to see the back of me! I am high risk.

It is all personal but I would never, ever pursue tubes tied or a v. There are too many forms of birth control that are reversible and work just fine for us. I have also known a fairly high number of people who changed their minds about being done, some had to reverse Vs. To each their own certainly but I feel like the point deserves raising for anyone making that decision. I guess given my own history I feel like people are lucky to have the option, you want to be very set in your mind about the benefits to you and your family of perm foreclosing it. Good luck whatever you decide!

scrooks
12-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I did during my 3rd csection. My Ob said it would only be an extra 10 minutes and not a huge deal. It was as expected and I didn't notice any difference during recovery. My Ob did say she typically tries to talk people out of it but based on my complicated reproductive history, ds2 being my 3rd child and my age (37)she didn't question my decision at all.

okinawama
12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
DH had a vasectomy. We were on the fence about having more after DS2 (a C-section) was born, so I didn't have my tubes tied during. Not sure what decision I would have made even if we I knew we'd be done at 2.

KpbS
12-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Plus, I delivered at a Catholic hospital so a tubal was not an option.

echoesofspring
12-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes as part of my C-sect with DD. I was 40, and while I could envision expanding our family in the future I was ok with not being pregnant again given my age. I probably wouldn't have done it if I wasn't already doing the c-sect and if I wasn't as old as I was. My dr. seemed pretty neutral about them and never mentioned anything about it being problematic to do during C-sect. It was no big deal recovery wise, my Dr. took quite a bit of time talking to me about it, ensuring that I was ok with it, exploring other permanent options for both DH and I. Even though I was content in my decision I do have to say that I grieved a bit at the finality of it but it's ok to feel contradictory emotions, you know? Mostly I just wish I was 10 years younger :)

My Dr. also recommended that I fill out the paperwork about a month ahead of time and carry it in my purse. That way if something happened like a car accident and I found myself going into an emergency c-sect w/out him, I could still have the tubal done *if* I wanted to.

mmommy
12-04-2014, 08:02 PM
My OB/midwife practice doesn't do it with a c. They ask you to wait several months to make sure you're sure and to allow for a more successful surgery if you do go that route. DH had a V, which I thought was fair after my c-section and VBAC.

ErinMC
12-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Yes. I had 3 vaginal births but my IUD perforated my abdomen a few months after dd (#3) was born so I had my tubes tied since I needed surgery to retrieve it anyways :(

TxCat
12-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Nope. The big V for him. My OB said it isn't just a tiny add on to a c-section and they don't recommend doing it as part of the c-section anyway. A V is less invasive and more minor too. I don't know any women IRL of my generation who have done it, only women from my mom's generation. The V is the norm for our group.

It adds about 5 minutes to the c-section. The tubes are literally right there connected to the uterus, which is already being manipulated to close the incision aka hysterotomy. A tubal ligation at the time of a repeat cesarean section is very common here in Texas and was very common when I was in residency in LA as well. Coming back for a tubal ligation after the fact is far less common.

Personally I'm with sste - I think I'd prefer to keep my options open, even if I felt fairly certain that I was done. I worry too much about the regrets and what ifs otherwise.

HannaAddict
12-05-2014, 01:48 AM
It adds about 5 minutes to the c-section. The tubes are literally right there connected to the uterus, which is already being manipulated to close the incision aka hysterotomy. A tubal ligation at the time of a repeat cesarean section is very common here in Texas and was very common when I was in residency in LA as well. Coming back for a tubal ligation after the fact is far less common.

Personally I'm with sste - I think I'd prefer to keep my options open, even if I felt fairly certain that I was done. I worry too much about the regrets and what ifs otherwise.

I am still glad I deferred to my highly respected and amazing OB and believe her when she said it wasn't just a quick five minute deal. Maybe we do c-sections differently? dunno. She gave a very detailed description of why they don't just routinely suggest it, though were willing to do it if patients wished. I would suggest the OP ask lots of questions and be totally and completely sure. Though I see no reason to "keep options open" when married 20 years and three kids already! ETA - it seemed obvious that my last sentence was tongue in cheek - and about my own situation, but guess not. Sorry. Email/list serve communication can be hard

TxCat
12-05-2014, 03:03 AM
I am still glad I deferred to my highly respected and amazing OB and believe her when she said it wasn't just a quick five minute deal. Maybe we do c-sections differently? dunno. She gave a very detailed description of why they don't just routinely suggest it, though were willing to do it if patients wished. I would suggest the OP ask lots of questions and be totally and completely sure. Though I see no reason to "keep options open" when married 20 years and three kids already!

A c-section is a very standard obstetric surgery - there are variations on the uterine incision depending on fetal age and maternal anatomy but there's no new cutting edge approach, regardless of zip code.

As for keeping options open, that was a comment related to not wanting to physically close the door to having future biological children. Having known couples that decide to have more children after experiencing an unexpected loss or serious health issue, it seems like a pretty reasonable concern to have.

TxCat
12-05-2014, 03:03 AM
Duplicate

Kindra178
12-05-2014, 02:15 PM
No but various medical staff offered to no less than six times when I checked into the hospital for my planned c-section. They want to see the back of me! I am high risk.

It is all personal but I would never, ever pursue tubes tied or a v. There are too many forms of birth control that are reversible and work just fine for us. I have also known a fairly high number of people who changed their minds about being done, some had to reverse Vs. To each their own certainly but I feel like the point deserves raising for anyone making that decision. I guess given my own history I feel like people are lucky to have the option, you want to be very set in your mind about the benefits to you and your family of perm foreclosing it. Good luck whatever you decide!

My doctors told me not to do it/they don't like to do it during a c (if I were to have a csection with twins) (MFM practice at major university hospital). I swear my doc said it would be a separate incision, but my memory could be off on that. I didn't have a csection so it was never an issue.

Momit
12-05-2014, 02:25 PM
I have regretted not doing it when I had a C-section. We knew we were "one and done" and didn't expect to change our minds. But I was not expecting to have a C and hadn't asked my doctor about tying my tubes should I need one.

BunnyBee
12-05-2014, 03:36 PM
I considered it with my 2nd c-section, but I decided I was too young for a permanent decision. I wound up effectively having a tubal during a medically complicated 4th c-section. The surgeons in my large city seem to do them contemporaneously to the c-sections as a matter of course in typical situations. I'm glad I waited. I swore I was done after two. :)

scrooks
12-05-2014, 04:03 PM
I wonder if docs do not like to do it during a csection because they are afraid women may make a decision, while they may be pregnant and uncomfortable, that they may regret later. Because otherwise, it seems to me, an additional separate procedure, with all of its additional risks, seem like it would be more medically risky.

AngB
12-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Ha. My friend and I were just talking about this because she just had a baby (a 30 weeker who is doing great) a couple weeks ago. They asked her multiple times if she wanted her tubes tied and even brought her the consent form in case she had changed her mind. (She delivered at a place with jerks though.) My ob/gyn must have asked me 3 or 4 times through my pregnancy with DS2. Guess they do that to everyone high risk!

JBaxter
12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
No and I would not have even if I had a Csection. A friend of mine went through what she described as tubal ligation syndrome and had issues for years. We chose to go with DH getting a vasectomy

trcy
12-06-2014, 10:01 PM
If/when I have another, it will most likely be a repeat cs. As sure as I am that 2 will be it (age, finances, logistics, ect), I don't think I would opt for such a permanent birth control. You never know what the future holds. BTW, are you expecting OP??? :)

Corie
12-12-2014, 08:19 PM
I had 2 c-sections so I went ahead and had my tubes tied while I was already open on the surgery table.

AnnieW625
12-14-2014, 10:10 AM
No I didn't, but had I had a c section with DD2 I might have decided to do it as we knew we were done having kids. DH said after all my years on birth control that he was more than happy to have a vasectomy and I shouldn't have to do anything else, he had it when DD2 was 3/1/2 mos. old.

Mopey
01-09-2015, 03:13 PM
If/when I have another, it will most likely be a repeat cs. As sure as I am that 2 will be it (age, finances, logistics, ect), I don't think I would opt for such a permanent birth control. You never know what the future holds. BTW, are you expecting OP??? :)

I wasn't then but am now :D Almost out of the woods. Still not sure what I think about this but my sis seemed pretty shocked I would stop at two and I was shocked she didn't realize I didn't want more than two. While I kind of agree that you never know I also don't think there would be a third unless we win the lottery :hysterical:

trcy
01-09-2015, 07:00 PM
While I kind of agree that you never know I also don't think there would be a third unless we win the lottery :hysterical: Well, might win the lottery; like I said, you never know, lol. Good luck with whatever you decide. And congrats on the pregnancy, very exciting!!!:cheerleader1: