PDA

View Full Version : Best places to buy Pokemon cards?

elbenn
12-03-2014, 06:36 PM
DC are obsessed with pokemon. I've only bought a couple of packs off the internet. Where's the best places to buy pokemon cards--for price and for assortment? It can be either B&M or internet stores. Also, is it best to buy individual cards so you don't get duplicates or better to buy in packs?

KrisM
12-03-2014, 06:58 PM
We always bought them at Target or Meijer, in packs. But, the kids weren't super into it, so I'm not sure if they were the best cards or not.

JElaineB
12-03-2014, 10:08 PM
DS must have hundreds if not thousands of Pokemon cards. We mostly buy them at Walmart or Target, though GameStop sometimes has exclusive cards or packs. We've gone to a local game store a couple of times also (not a video game store - more of a board/card game store). If you want to be guaranteed a rare card (currently EX) you can buy a tin or other special pack. But sometimes regular packs have rare cards in them. I would not buy individual cards unless there is a very specific card your DS wants. If he ends up playing the actual card game he will actually need duplicates of some cards like energy and basic Pokemon. If you want to avoid duplicates initially buy only the booster packs/tins and not the starter decks/theme decks which have a full 60 card deck that allows you to play the game.

SnuggleBuggles
12-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Garage sales... Kids get into them then a few years later, get rid of them.

elbenn
12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
JElaine, I learned a lot about pokemon in your short explanation. I didn't know there were trainer packs and that they had different cards than booster packs--I thought booster packs were just smaller packs of cards. Buying used cards is a good idea, but do they change? Would a pokemon card that is a few years old still be playable?

Simon
12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
We buy second hand, too. We paid around $4 for 25-30 cards. Ds has had no problem using his "older" cards either at school where they play by made-up rules or at a local Pokemon club where they play by official rules. We have a little less than 200 cards and although they are on his wish list, he doesn't ask for them regularly and doesn't seem to feel like he really *needs* more cards.

JElaineB
12-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Some older cards may not be used in tournaments, but for playing with friends, etc. I don't think it would be an issue. DS has received a lot of older/used cards from his cousins, but a lot of the fun for him in in the opening of the pack itself. I'm going to buy him a booster box on Amazon which has 36 booster packs of 10 cards each. They run $90 or so but it is cheaper that way than buying pack one at a time.

hellokitty
12-04-2014, 01:00 AM
Garage sales and flea markets. Dh has taught the kids how to haggle through Pokemon and yugioh card buying at the flea market.

Jacksmommy2b
12-04-2014, 01:23 AM
They are BOGO at Walgreens until the 6th!

kboyle
12-04-2014, 08:15 AM
They are BOGO at Walgreens until the 6th!

Guess I know where I'm stopping after work!! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk