PDA

View Full Version : Three Days to Clean & Organize - Let's Do This!

lizzywednesday
12-07-2014, 09:41 PM
OK, so I looked at my last 2 years' worth of pre-holiday housecleaning threads and need a plan for this year.

My circumstances are different this year - rather than a couple weeks' vacation and full weeks of DD in daycare, I'm unemployed, and we only have DD in daycare 3 days per week - but even with that taken into consideration, the overall house situation isn't as dire as DH seems to think it is.

Anyway, this week is kind of zero hour - we're getting a new refrigerator delivered next week (a much-needed gift from DH's parents) and I need to completely clean and organize the first floor before the delivery people get here.

I have a little over 2 days left in which to work on the downstairs areas.

Necessary tasks include:

* Clear off dining room table
* Clear off kitchen table
* Get DH to go through Rubbermaid tubs in catch-all closet
* Go through catch-all closet, clean & sanitize (again)
* Clean powder room (clean toilet, clean sink, launder hand towels, put out holiday towels, clean mirror, mop floor)
* Laundry

Next week, after the fridge is delivered, I can attack the other clutter caches through the house.

TUESDAY (12/9) will be CATCH-ALL, DINING ROOM TABLE, KITCHEN TABLE, KITCHEN COUNTERS
WEDNESDAY (12/10) will be PANTRY, 1st LANDING, LAUNDRY
THURSDAY (12/11) will be LAUNDRY, MASTER BEDROOM, DD's ROOM

Fridge is set for delivery at some point on 12/16. Once it's been delivered, I can slot other living areas into my plan.

lizzywednesday
12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
DAY ONE - ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

* Substantial clear-off of dining room table
* Complete clear out of catch-all closet (of things that don't belong there, that is)
* Assessment of Christmas wrapping paper supplies (I do, indeed, need more paper)
* Assessment of Birthday wrapping paper supplies (need more paper, but no rush on that)
* Moved outgrown coats to 3rd floor
* Moved dry-cleaned suit (mine) to closet
* Put art supplies & workbooks boxes in easy-access part of closet

DAY TWO - GOALS

(1) Clean living room, including mopping floor
(2) DD's Laundry
(3) Re-arrange furniture to allow set-up of Christmas tree
(4) Clear Kitchen table
(5) Finish clearing Dining Room table
(6) Assess top of pantry junk

DAY THREE - GOALS

(1) Carry over un-dones from DAY 2
(2) Consider necessary furniture moves in KITCHEN to allow for clear path for Fridge delivery (TUESDAY)
(3) Clean powder room, including mopping floor

(Next week's goals are upstairs in prep for holiday visitors.)

niccig
12-11-2014, 03:06 AM
Woo Hoo, keep up the good work.

I'm going to be doing the same. I take my licensing exam on the 18th and DH's parents arrive on the 23rd. The house looks like a bomb went off. We've already decided they're going to sleep in our room - currently the dog crate is my bedside table as my bedside table has a mountain of books, jewelry, dust and a broken lamp. DH is putting out Christmas decorations on shelves that haven't been dusted in I can't remember how long. Those 5 days will not be fun!

lizzywednesday
12-11-2014, 12:39 PM
DAY TWO - ACCOMPLISHMENTS

* Cleaned Living Room - decluttered, tossed trash, cleared stupid TV niche
* Swept/Swiffered/Vacuumed/Mopped Living Room floor
* Dusted Picture Frames/Knicknacks on mantlepiece
* Cleaned (with actual cleanser!) mantlepiece
* Replaced picture frames on mantlepiece with room for tree
* Vacuumed furniture crevices (ew)
* Cleaned window behind TV
* Cleaned window DD insists on playing in
* Re-arranged furniture to allow for tree placement
* Laundered fleece throws
* Laundered two of four throw pillows
* Washed/Dried DD's laundry
* Washed my blue jeans (in preparation for NYC trip tomorrow)
* Washed/Dried kitchen towel laundry
* Ran dishwasher

DAY THREE - TO DO

* Complete clear-off of Dining Table
* Complete clear-off of Kitchen Table
* Assess pantry contents
* Assess pantry-top miscellanea
* Assess remaining fridge contents
* Put dishrack-dried dishes away
* Wipe down kitchen counters (keep clear if possible - cookie baking planned for Saturday)
* Put DD's toys into catch-all closet (there's room!)
* Clean Powder Room (including mop floor!)

jbbhb
12-11-2014, 02:23 PM
I am super impressed! Our house also looks like a bomb went off. We have had a few break ins in our city and I joke with dh that if a robber came to our house they would peak in and think someone already hit it.

Today I have to pick up the entire house as we have someone coming to clean tomorrow morning. Why did I put this off to the last minute!!??

Good luck to us all!

lizzywednesday
12-16-2014, 05:06 PM
DAY THREE - ACCOMPLISHMENTS

* Cleared off dining room table enough that I could wrap presents
* Cleared off kitchen table
* Assessed pantry contents
* Assessed fridge contents
* Brought shredding to garage bin
* Wiped down countertops

Today was fridge delivery day, which meant nothing got done 'til the fridge arrived. I still have some things to take care of on the landings, so those will be my focus tomorrow and Thursday.

Tasks for next week (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning) have to be organized based on what DD will help with and whether I need to hit the grocery store (I do.)