PDA

View Full Version : cold weather follks - socks for my mom?

echoesofspring
12-11-2014, 01:12 AM
My parents live back east and moved into town last year, so they are both doing a lot more walking! Great for them and I'm seriously envious that they can actually walk to a destination rather than just around the neighborhood. The only thing my mom has asked for for Xmas is .....warm socks, b/c I guess her feet are getting cold. So we're all getting her a pair of socks - cold weather folks, help me win this one :) Smartwool? Wigwam? I was sort of thinking these:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/wigwam-snow-angel-ski-socks/3885169?origin=category
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/smartwool-phd-snowboard-medium-socks/3600507?origin=category&BaseUrl=Socks

(And yes, shopping at nordstrom for socks seems kind of silly, but it's free/easy returns, that's my only requirement of the store)

Are ski socks going to be ok for walking in, or should I be looking for something else like hiking socks, etc.?

And any other walking around town in the cold suggestions/accessories she might not have (despite having lived in the NE for the last 40 years ;))

SnuggleBuggles
12-11-2014, 09:11 AM
REI has the same return policy and maybe more options. I say get a variety and see what the winner is. I'm allergic to wool so the idea of those sound miserable. :) my cotton socks work fine. :)
Eta- some sort of face covering wrap might be nice. Tech gloves if she uses tech while walking. Does she carry water with her? Would she like a better way to carry it, if so? Camelbak, belt...

hillview
12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I hate wool but LOVE smartwool. I have these (think they are shorter?) and love them
http://www.zappos.com/smartwool-satursphere-3-pack-aubergine-heather-chestnut-heather-charcoal-heather

Kindra178
12-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Smartwool are awesome. For a cheaper alternative, I love the Costco trail socks, in a three pack. I think they are a wool blend and are plenty warm. I will wear them to work in cold weather and wear them to walk the dog two miles in the early am. When it's below zero, I will wear two pairs.

lizzywednesday
12-11-2014, 12:24 PM
I adore SmartWool socks, though WigWam also makes a decent wool model.

My other favorites are Thorlo lightweight hiking socks; they are not wool, but they are wick-away fibers, which is what you'll want to help keep warm. HOWEVER, even the lightweight models are pretty thick, so they may cause shoe fit issues.

Lastly, if she's interested in a little extra warmth without weight, look for silk sock liners. LE used to sell them, as do all the outdoor companies (REI, et al), so they should be easy to find as a bonus.

What kinds of shoes are they wearing? You might also want to encourage them to wear their favorite socks and get fitted at a Road Runner Sports or similar shop to ensure they're wearing the right shoe.

echoesofspring
12-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I love the idea of silk liners - I had silk long underwear when I lived back east and it was awesome, so lightweight!