PDA

View Full Version : Any iPhone deals?

wallawala
12-17-2014, 11:14 PM
I had an iPhone 4s grandfathered into the Verizon unlimited data plan. DD broke it tonight, and so I'm in urgent need of a phone. I can survive a few days, but leaving out of state for the in-laws by xmas and absolutely must have a phone for the trip.

Any idea if it's possible to buy a new phone and still keep my same plan? I was under the impression that if I upgraded, I would be forced to sign a new contract and my unlimited data would be gone. Off to check around a little, but I think I am 2 years out from my purchase so could switch carriers. I have been with Verizon for 15+ years....

Any good deals out there? I'm in a major city so could pick up almost anywhere....

Any recommendations for iPhone 6 vs the bigger one? I usually keep my phone as long as possible, so would most likely get a 6 not 5.

larig
12-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Yes, you can keep your plan, BUT you have to buy the phone without subsidies.

wallawala
12-17-2014, 11:56 PM
I can pay upfront, but it looks like I can't add any lines to the account then. Trying to work through the pricing on Verizon and looks like our current unlimited plan might still be cheaper. DH has a old flip phone. He doesn't seem to keen on upgrading. But maybe we could get his phone entered into a museum? Sigh....

pastrygirl
12-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Do you need to add a line? I was able to add a line to my grandfathered VZW unlimited data plan a year ago. I bought a subsidized iPhone on it and then switched that line to a dumb phone so that it was only $10/month. I canceled that line after a few months; I forget what the trigger was. I think I had to wait until one of my other lines was eligible for an upgrade. We weren't going to lose our unlimited, though we did choose to switch to a newer plan so that our iPhones can be hotspots (that was more important to us than unlimited data). ETA: I canceled the third line because we weren't using it at all; it was just cheaper to buy a subsidized phone and pay $10/month for a few months than to buy the phone outright. But I couldn't cancel that line until I was eligible for an upgrade, because I had to actually port my number over to that third line, then cancel MY line.

BabyH
12-18-2014, 11:00 AM
We are grandfathered into the unlimited AT&T plan. I got the iPhone 6 a few weeks ago and was able to keep it. It wasn't an issue at all. I did everything at Best Buy.

candaceb
12-18-2014, 11:15 AM
It is worth a call to Verizon. DH was buying an iphone 6 a couple of weeks ago. I called Verizon and told them that his contract was up and we were tempted by the offers that other carriers were offering to switch. We ended up doubling the amount of data and reducing the bill by $10 a month for a year. Plus, we were able to take advantage of a Comcast deal to get a $200 Visa gift card on a Verizon iphone with a 2 year contract. It all took about an hour on the phone, but for that hour I saved $320 and got more data.
It looks like the comcast offer is now $150: http://www.comcast.com/verizon-wireless.html