PDA

View Full Version : Recommend book or small game for 11 yr old girls

melrose7
12-20-2014, 06:48 PM
I am giving my niece and newphews a little gift and some money for Christmas since they are going to Disney in January. I usually spend around $30 per niece and nephew. I had a card game for my niece but I think it's too young and can't remember her playing games as much as my nephews. So now I am thinking maybe a book. Any recommendations?

Twoboos
12-20-2014, 08:00 PM
My 11yo loves "Wonder" and "The One and Only Ivan." Although, your niece may have already read them?

She also just read book 1 from the "Everyday Angel" series and requested books 2 & 3 for Christmas.

Also a huge fan of "The Very Honorable League of Pirates" series, I think there's only two out right now but a 3rd coming. She loves pirate things though, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

BunnyBee
12-20-2014, 08:07 PM
These type books and gel pens have been big hits with tween girls lately: Zolocolor! Toodle-oo Doodle-oo https://www.amazon.com/dp/1442468475/

A Mighty Girl has some fabulous book recs. It's hard when you don't know what she already has. For Disney, maybe Kingdom Keepers? It's a series. My oldest enjoys them. Or a classic like Anne of Green Gables?

jerseygirl07067
12-20-2014, 11:43 PM
My 11 y/o loves the Familiars and also The Land of Stories. She got into them when she was 9/10 but still loves them and requested the 2nd and 3rd books of both series for the holidays.

hellbennt
12-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Kingdom keepers - it takes place at Disney
Eta: http://www.thekingdomkeepers.com

My ds1, 11, read them & learned of them from a girl :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk; moderator infantreflux.org/forum

lizzywednesday
12-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Also a huge fan of "The Very Honorable League of Pirates" series, I think there's only two out right now but a 3rd coming. She loves pirate things though, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

This series comes highly recommended to me from a friend who is a 5th grade teacher; I'm tempted to buy it for myself.

I have given the card game SET (http://www.setgame.com/set) to this age group in the past. I used to play this with my post-college roommate and her friends; it's best with a fairly large group and can be adapted to include younger players if that's a concern.

My nieces were the recipients of my favorite childhood novels - Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery) and The Ordinary Princess (M.M. Kaye) - last year. I've also given them Little House in the Big Woods (Laura Ingalls Wilder) and A Little Princess (Frances Hodgson Burnett). My nieces are 12 and 10 this year, so in the same age group.

melrose7
12-21-2014, 01:10 PM
My 11 y/o loves the Familiars and also The Land of Stories. She got into them when she was 9/10 but still loves them and requested the 2nd and 3rd books of both series for the holidays.

Thanks. I ended up getting the first book in The land of Stories. Also have me lots of ideas of my DD2 who is a new to longer chapter books. I included a gift receipt if she already read it.

nfceagles
12-21-2014, 07:01 PM
I was going to suggest Kingdom Keepers too. It's a series that takes place at WDW.