PDA

View Full Version : Any deals on Amazon Prime membership?

TwoBees
12-22-2014, 10:06 AM
I've held out this long but I think it's time for me to finally get a membership. Any deals? DH is anti-sharing of a membership because he thinks (no matter how many times I tell him he's wrong) that the other people will have access to our credit card info. That is not a battle I want to fight, so we'll be doing the membership on our own. I'm hoping there is some sort of holiday/after holiday membership promotion.

AngB
12-22-2014, 11:06 AM
If you can get a .edu email, you can get a student membership, which is half price and all the same benefits. When I was taking pre-reqs for ultrasound school at our community college I signed up using it.

NCGrandma
12-22-2014, 11:48 AM
If you can get a .edu email, you can get a student membership, which is half price and all the same benefits. When I was taking pre-reqs for ultrasound school at our community college I signed up using it.

Do you know whether you have to say that you're actually a student? At my university (like many others), faculty and staff have .edu accounts too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AngB
12-22-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't think they can tell the difference. I wasn't even enrolled at the time. They just send an email to click through from your edu email and that is it. So I bet it would work.

ckso
12-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Do you know whether you have to say that you're actually a student? At my university (like many others), faculty and staff have .edu accounts too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think they check beyond the edu address. I got prime a few years ago when I was taking non credit parent Ed free class (they were offering free prime to students ) and now I still get offers to purchase prime at the student rate

123LuckyMom
12-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Will an alumni account that ends in edu work?

TwoBees
12-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Will an alumni account that ends in edu work?

I'm wondering about that too. Also, if you sign up using a .edu account, is that the email address you have to use for all purchases? Would I have to create an entirely new Amazon account with my .edu email address?

hellokitty
12-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Oooh, I have a edu work addy. I never thought about this route before.

Snow mom
12-22-2014, 03:19 PM
You can have amazon student through your normal email as long as you have a .edu account. At one point I had to send amazon a copy of my enrollment to re-up my student account. That only happened once in the few years I've had it though.

123LuckyMom
12-22-2014, 03:20 PM
I'm wondering about that too. Also, if you sign up using a .edu account, is that the email address you have to use for all purchases? Would I have to create an entirely new Amazon account with my .edu email address?

I'm guessing that you would, well, not s new account, but you'd probably have to update your email to the .edu email. If the .edu alone is all you need, that seems like a pretty big loophole. There'd be sooooo many people who could take advantage. I don't know that I would do that. It doesn't seem right.

ckso
12-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Nope. I used my edu account to be eligible for the student discount but was able to continue to use my existing Amazon account/email address for purchases.

rollycolly2007
12-22-2014, 07:44 PM
It only lasts 4 years. I just had to pay full price because I just finished nursing school, but $49 a year was nice while it lasted.

Expecting DS 03/18/15!!!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Did anyone get it to work with just a .edu account? My sister had a student account (has only had 2 years) and this time it renewed as a regular account. They wanted proof she was still enrolled. If she could show an ID card, transcript, or something else then they would giver her student account back.

Simon
12-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Re: Student Prices. I had trouble renewing after the first year because they wanted a copy of my course schedule to give me the discount for year 2 and I only had credits without specific classes. It was a PITA so I didn't pursue, but the first year was easy.

AngB
12-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Re: Student Prices. I had trouble renewing after the first year because they wanted a copy of my course schedule to give me the discount for year 2 and I only had credits without specific classes. It was a PITA so I didn't pursue, but the first year was easy.

They just renewed mine for year 3 and didn't ask for anything, weird, they automatically did it, too.

AngB
12-23-2014, 12:45 PM
It only lasts 4 years. I just had to pay full price because I just finished nursing school, but $49 a year was nice while it lasted.

I actually am going back to school in a couple years- I am on the waiting list to do ultrasound school (#50-something) through our community college. I wonder if they will let me do it for more than 4 yrs when I will be able to prove I am still a student?! ETA: Nope, looked it up. Oh well, so far 3 yrs at the student level has been worth it. I don't think we use it enough to be worth the full price, though. (We don't stream much, don't have kindles, and most things I order are over 35 and don't need 2 day shipping anyway, so for 39/49 it's an ok deal but not when it doubles.)

Mommy_Mea
12-23-2014, 12:47 PM
You used to be able to sign up for Amazon Prime Student using just an .edu email account, with no other proof. I had it for a year and a half that way. But then they starting asking for additional information as mentioned above, and any new account is going to require that information.

I wish I knew how to save on Prime! We just automatically renewed at $99, and I try and tell myself it is worth it!

truly scrumptious
12-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Since I can't save on my Prime membership I just use the Bejesus out of it. 65 orders placed in 2012, 98 in 2013 and (ready for it?) 112 in 2014! Whoa MAMA! And we watch a fair amount on Prime streaming too. I tell myself it works out to less than a buck shipping per package. Ahem...
:bag