PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Recipe for Yorkshire Pudding

plusbellelavie
12-23-2014, 01:15 PM
I have never made them but it was recommended as a side for the prime rib roast I am planning on making for Christmas dinner so I am now looking for a "no fail" recipe for Yorkshire Pudding and/or any recommendation on what to do or not do when making them.

Do they need to be individual or can it be made in one big souffle bakeware?

TIA!

annex
12-23-2014, 02:02 PM
My favorite dish ever! You don't need to do individual puddings. I use a heavy metal baking pan (7x13), with sides that go up at least 2 inches.

Some steps my English granddad (his family was from Yorkshire) said were critical are : mixing the batter in advance, letting warm to room temp. Heating the drippings in the pan in a 425 oven until they are smoking, then pouring the batter in. Don't open the oven until done! We usually do this while the roast is out and resting. For the batter, he used more eggs than most recipes call for - 4 eggs, plus 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, and pinch of salt whisked together until smooth. Usually takes about 20 minutes to puff up. Take out of oven, and slice into squares. We usually eat it first, with gravy poured over, then eat the rest of the meal.

plusbellelavie
12-23-2014, 02:23 PM
My favorite dish ever! You don't need to do individual puddings. I use a heavy metal baking pan (7x13), with sides that go up at least 2 inches.

Some steps my English granddad (his family was from Yorkshire) said were critical are : mixing the batter in advance, letting warm to room temp. Heating the drippings in the pan in a 425 oven until they are smoking, then pouring the batter in. Don't open the oven until done! We usually do this while the roast is out and resting. For the batter, he used more eggs than most recipes call for - 4 eggs, plus 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, and pinch of salt whisked together until smooth. Usually takes about 20 minutes to puff up. Take out of oven, and slice into squares. We usually eat it first, with gravy poured over, then eat the rest of the meal.

Thank you Annex for sharing your family recipe and for posting! Looks like from what I have researched and what you have posted that letting the batter sit and getting the drippings very hot before putting the batter in is very important.

Some recipes I have online use butter, a butter and oil combo, and others use the dripping...do you find that using the drippings important? I ask because DH will want to make gravy with the drippings and I afraid there wouldn't be enough....

Thanks again!