PDA

View Full Version : When and where to buy marked down xmas decor.

elizamom
12-25-2014, 07:31 PM
I am looking mainly for wreaths and garlands with lights and window candles, preferably all wireless and LED. Anyone know?

twowhat?
12-25-2014, 11:18 PM
We have a ton of LED lights that we got from Home Depot for 50% off after Christmas so that's one place to check that's not somewhere most people would think to look.

Momit
12-26-2014, 08:23 AM
I got our window candles at Target last year on the day after Christmas. They are battery powered, LED with flicker or solid settings and a sensor so they come on when it's dark.

bigsis
12-26-2014, 01:46 PM
I went out today searching for great deals and it was a bust for me. I went to Sears and everything was 50% off, I expected 75% off. :bag My mom went before Xmas to our local Home Depot and she said they were wiped out. I think it's a matter of a lot of searching and luck. I would love to hear what everyone else has to say as I would love to pick a few things up as well. :loveeyes:

hellokitty
12-26-2014, 01:56 PM
I went out today searching for great deals and it was a bust for me. I went to Sears and everything was 50% off, I expected 75% off. :bag My mom went before Xmas to our local Home Depot and she said they were wiped out. I think it's a matter of a lot of searching and luck. I would love to hear what everyone else has to say as I would love to pick a few things up as well. :loveeyes:

50% sounds about right. Wait a couple wks and it will be 75% off. But if you are looking for something very specific, I'd get it now.

elizamom
12-26-2014, 02:56 PM
50% off at Home Depot. They had a decent selection, but none of this items I wanted. I may (or may not!) try another store later.

lauren3110
12-26-2014, 03:28 PM
Hobby lobby is all 66% off. They had a lot of everything

jvs195
12-26-2014, 05:21 PM
I ordered from Bed Bath & Beyond online to pick up in store. I used my coupons on top of the 50% off christmas prices and it was very easy to pick up (just make sure they send you the "ready for pickup" email). Our Lowes and Home Depot are only at 50% off and pretty picked over except for lights.

Momit
12-26-2014, 05:44 PM
DH is on his way home with an 8 foot tall inflatable T. Rex wearing a Santa hat - half off at Home Depot. Sigh. I liked my candles in the windows and white lights, looks like we are kicking it up a notch next year.

liz
12-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Spent some $$ today, but was super happy with what I found.

AC Moore: nothing, shelves bare, not much of anything left--can't remember % off
Home Depot: bought table top tree, 10 ft inflatable Santa, 5ft outdoor lighted metal frame snowman (for me)--all items 50%
Walmart: bought wrapping paper, tissue paper etc, 10 ft inflatable Santa--all items 50%
Lowes: really picked over, 50% off
KMart: bought wrapping paper etc, tree skirt for my table top tree, 4 ft lighted metal frame snowman (for my mom)--all items 50%
Home Depot (different store): Did not have any of the items I bought at my first HD store, but still a good selection of lights, trees etc

I totally agree with PP that YMMV each year. Some of the above stores are loaded with great stuff when 75% off comes and some years things are really picked over by Dec 26. I try to go out with a specific list of things I need or want. I would not have gone out today except I really wanted a small tree and was thinking about buying a new inflatable Santa since my old Santa has seen better days. I knew those things would be gone if I waited, so 50% was still a great price. Now I just have to decide which Santa to keep!

hwin708
12-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Lights are the hardest to get on sale. Usually the stores are so picked over by Christmas that I can struggle to find lights, at least clear lights, a week before Christmas. So forget getting them on sale. That goes for lit wreaths and garlands as well. Typically, the easiest bet is getting them Black Friday, when places like Home Depot will have them 50% off with plenty in stock. Or online, if you want better quality (but higher prices).
That being said, in my neck of the woods, Sears generally has quite a bit of lighting stock left over, because they are such a deserted, infrequently shopped store. And the walmart in the quiet suburbs area can sometimes have quite a few garlands and wreaths, and maybe just a couple lit ones.

For other stuff - kmart is another deserted store around here, so they will still have LOADS of stuff when the sale hits 80% around New Years. Not wreaths/garlands though.
my favorite, however, is Dillard's. New Year's Day is their HUGE sale day, when their Christmas stuff gets marked way down. They have their own line of glass ornaments, plus carry the nicer radko and Waterford ornaments, marked way way down. It is a mad house, with a crowd waiting when they open, but their Christmas stuff really is some of the best. Surprisingly, for what is typically a lower end department store (in my area, at least).

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2014, 10:19 PM
I find lights are tough to find on sale bc rather than selling them off, some stores pack them up for next year.

twowhat?
12-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Oh I thought of another place - IKEA! I don't know if they have lighted garlands but they definitely have lights...last year we got a bunch of darling snowflake LED string lights after Christmas and I love them!

scrooks
12-26-2014, 10:42 PM
my favorite, however, is Dillard's. New Year's Day is their HUGE sale day, when their Christmas stuff gets marked way down. They have their own line of glass ornaments, plus carry the nicer radko and Waterford ornaments, marked way way down. It is a mad house, with a crowd waiting when they open, but their Christmas stuff really is some of the best. Surprisingly, for what is typically a lower end department store (in my area, at least).
Seriously....Dillard's New Years sale is my favorite sale day of the year. The past couple years I have been waiting at the door about 15 minutes prior to opening with all the other crazies!!!

elizamom
12-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I ordered from Bed Bath & Beyond online to pick up in store. I used my coupons on top of the 50% off christmas prices and it was very easy to pick up (just make sure they send you the "ready for pickup" email). Our Lowes and Home Depot are only at 50% off and pretty picked over except for lights.

^ smart. Do they have any 20% off your entire order coupons? The only one I have is 20% off one item. Or, will they reduce things beyond 50%? They call their 50% off items clearance which makes me think 50% off is as good as it's gonna get. ?

jvs195
12-27-2014, 10:37 AM
^ smart. Do they have any 20% off your entire order coupons? The only one I have is 20% off one item. Or, will they reduce things beyond 50%? They call their 50% off items clearance which makes me think 50% off is as good as it's gonna get. ?

I had a 20% off entire order coupon once this past year, but don't remember how I got it. I've seen the regular ones in magazines lately as well as getting the mailers. I don't recall if they mark it down any more, but I recall last year a small table of leftover items seemed to be marked down more. I'm watching as I really like the garlands I got and might want more, but only if they get cheaper. I had a stack of 20% off coupons and she let me use one on each item. Since most items were $12.49 I only saved $2.50 more, but it added up and my coupon wallet is much thinner now.