PDA

View Full Version : How do you store Lego and thier plans?

Kestrel
12-27-2014, 07:28 PM
This is out first year with Lego (had Duplo previously, in a bushel basket). We're trying to figure to how to store them. Also, how to store the paperwork plans to build the specific items. Do you store each set with it's own pieces? (Don't think that's going to work long in this house!) Right now DS wants to keep all of the boxes as well as the plans; I'm trying to work him around to the idea of just the plans, and maybe the front of the box picture, but stored in what? Photo album type? Maybe a file box? And how to store bulk bricks?
What works for you? and what did not?

egoldber
12-27-2014, 07:32 PM
We keep them in a plastic storage box with the directions inside. We get rid of boxes.

PZMommy
12-27-2014, 08:03 PM
We keep them in a plastic storage box with the directions inside. We get rid of boxes.

Do you do a separate storage box for each set, or put all of them in one big storage box?

OP, I was going to ask the same question as my DS got a bunch of different Lego sets this Christmas.

elliput
12-27-2014, 08:09 PM
I just tackled the problem of the instruction booklets on Christmas Eve-
Right now I have individual files for some themes for which we have multiple sets and a couple of files for misc themes.

For loose bricks, I use the plastic bins that some of the bulk sets came in.

egoldber
12-27-2014, 08:13 PM
I do a separate bin for each set.

We have a different, larger plastic bin for "loose" bricks.

essnce629
12-27-2014, 08:25 PM
DS1 is 11 and has been a Lego fanatic for 6 years now. All his legos are just in under the bed bins and on his lego table and the directions are all thrown away! I used to keep the directions in page protectors in a binder, but he never used them again after building the sets the first time so I finally asked him if he still wanted to keep them all and he said no, so into the recycle bin they went! He keeps his favorite built sets on Ikea floating shelves on his wall.

ang79
12-27-2014, 11:37 PM
DH has all of his sets from his childhood and he has them divided into clear plastic containers by color so that its easier to find pieces to build with. The girls have quite a stash of Friends sets but keep most of them built. Right now they have what they call "set ups" n a train table and large coffee table in the playroom. Sets they aren't using are built and displayed on a shelving system. I've put all of the instructions on clear page protectors in a large binder. So far we've kept most boxes in a storage closet but not sure if we'll hang on to them if we move.

123LuckyMom
12-28-2014, 12:05 AM
I put all the pieces from the set and the instructions in a ziploc bag, and all the bags go in a bin together. The minifigs from all sets live in their own plastic box also in a bin (with bags of sets). We have two Lego bins. Unfortunately, even though I explained the system to him, 6 year old DS has so frequently emptied out multiple bags at a time that the system is no more. ;) Now all the pieces live loose in the bins, minifigs still have a box, and instructions are all in a couple of ziploc bags.

trcy
12-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I just ask a friend about this, her DC is 8. She said all of the sets are mixed together in a bin with the instructions. DD just has one set that came in its own storage container. I am sure her collection will grow as she gets older.

ETA: Just saw this http://getsetorganize.com/26-ideas-for-lego-storage-containers/

gatorsmom
12-28-2014, 11:17 AM
We must have over 50 sets plus old bricks that belonged to my brother 30 years ago. I keep the instruction booklets in a basket. I used to keep them in a binder with page protector pockets but we outgrew that. Each of my kids has a large bin in his room for his bricks. They use serving trays to keep the projects they are working on. That way, I can pick up their projects to dust and vacuum without disturbing their pieces. They display big projects they don't want ruined on shelves in their rooms. Other creations they play with and break apart. Those pieces go in their bins. Each of my children play with their Legos in different ways. This storage solution works for all of them.

almostamom
12-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Once DS builds a set, he rarely wants to build it again. He has a few sets he keeps on display on shelves. For all of the other bricks, we have them sorted by color in clear plastic drawers (from WalMart and Home Depot) that sit on the shelves in his playroom. We keep the direction booklets in a drawer in a file cabinet just in case.

okinawama
12-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I used to keep the directions in page protectors in a binder, but he never used them again after building the sets the first time so I finally asked him if he still wanted to keep them all and he said no, so into the recycle bin they went! He keeps his favorite built sets on Ikea floating shelves on his wall.
This! I spent tons of time researching the best storage options and organizing them all into a beautiful binders, and then, they were never ever used. Just last week, I threw them all out. For my Ds, using his imagination and building things on is own is where the joy lies, so we don't bother keeping the instructions past the first assembly.

marinkitty
01-06-2015, 08:35 PM
We have struggled through the years with Lego storage issues. Right now the system we have is working well. Each boy (DD doesn't really build with Lego) has a built-in in his bedroom with shelves for completed sets.

Each boy has a large and a small one of these. http://swoopbags.com/

The large is for sets being built. The small tends to be stuffed with mini figures, because lots of times they will play with just those and the already built sets and stage elaborate battles of play scenes.

Older DS (who owns most of the lego and whose room is better suited to large storage) now has three Trofast units with bins filled with Lego. It looks very much like this.
http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2011/10/organizing-legos-part-3-creating.html
except we don't organize by color. That would never ever hold up for us. There is a bin of large pieces. A bin of instruction books and the rest are lego and DS changes how they are organized from time to time. I know he recently dropped Hogwarts Castle and put the set and the broken pieces in a bin and plans to rebuild it when he has a chance. It is flexible and contains most of the mess.

citymama
01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Bookmarking!

Mommy_Mea
01-08-2015, 09:09 AM
We have a large envelope that we keep all the directions in. The Legos themselves are just dumped in one large bin.

The kids occasionally express interest in building a specific set, but then they get sidetracked in building something way off spec and are perfectly happy. But they do love reading and studying the plans all the time, so they do get some use :)

I am much happier with them being "Master Builders" (thank you Lego Movie!), and using their creativity with the blocks.