PDA

View Full Version : Horses, of course!

mskitty
01-09-2015, 02:38 AM
My 3 yo DD has serious horse love since her first pony ride at 18 months. What are the favorite horse toys at your house? What gets played with the most? What has the most longevity?

We have:
Schleich - a few horses so she can play with her brother's big red barn. Most played with by far right now.
Duplos - the horse stable and a few horses in farm sets
Playmobil - her brother has a Western set. She plays with the plain horses, no interest in small pieces such as bridles or saddles.
Disney - stuffed Minimus (Sophia's horse). Lots of love at first, now not so much.

Pondering:
1) Does horse love translate to Lego horse love? Planning on Lego Junior Pony Farm but don't know if I should buy some Lego Friends horse stuff.
2) She adores the Our Generation horse at Target. Would you just give the horse? Or wait to do the 18" doll & horse? What age?
3) I have a large Playmobil horse barn bought at 80% off clearance. Wait until age 5 because of all of the little pieces?
4) Add more Schleich horses? How many is enough?
5) Any other highly recommended horse toys?

Thank you!

kristac
01-09-2015, 07:32 PM
How about Rody?

Magnetic dress up horse?
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Horse-Clover-Magnetic/dp/B00BCJLWZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420846062&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+horses
http://www.amazon.com/T-S-Shure-Freckles-Magnetic-Dress-Up/dp/B004RDL4EC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1420846062&sr=8-13&keywords=magnetic+horses

http://www.amazon.com/Breyer-Jasmine-Color-Surprise-Bath/dp/B003TUKEM2/ref=pd_sim_t_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1969KVHTFNG0CZSTCAWD

JenChem
01-09-2015, 07:43 PM
My Sheriff Callie loving 2 year old loves her teal Rody and pink cowboy hat. She also likes Lego Duplo horses (farm set) and Fisher Price Klip Klop castle. Her 5 year old brother also loves Rody and Duplos so they have some longevity.

lizzywednesday
01-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Pony Flag Race LOTTIE and Seren the Welsh Mountain Pony (advertising video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKJ06Zh9qU) - total cost for doll & pony will be about $40, so ideal for a birthday gift, if she's got one coming up.

TBH, my DD loves those horses in-store at Target and PBK, but she plays a lot more with "little" things - My Little Pony (she has all 4 of my remaining MLP toys, plus about 8 of the new "Friendship is Magic" toys), LOTTIE, DUPLO, etc. - than she does with baby dolls or her 18" doll (floor model clearance from PBK).

KrisM
01-09-2015, 09:10 PM
They are no longer made, so ours are from Craigslist, but DD still plays with Loving Family horses and stables.

She also enjoys My Little Ponys and Pony Royale ponies, as well as Schleich. She has an 18" doll horse as well.

kaitlyns.mom
01-09-2015, 09:37 PM
My 3 yo DD has serious horse love since her first pony ride at 18 months. What are the favorite horse toys at your house? What gets played with the most? What has the most longevity?

We have:
Schleich - a few horses so she can play with her brother's big red barn. Most played with by far right now.
Duplos - the horse stable and a few horses in farm sets
Playmobil - her brother has a Western set. She plays with the plain horses, no interest in small pieces such as bridles or saddles.
Disney - stuffed Minimus (Sophia's horse). Lots of love at first, now not so much.

Pondering:
1) Does horse love translate to Lego horse love? Planning on Lego Junior Pony Farm but don't know if I should buy some Lego Friends horse stuff.
2) She adores the Our Generation horse at Target. Would you just give the horse? Or wait to do the 18" doll & horse? What age?
3) I have a large Playmobil horse barn bought at 80% off clearance. Wait until age 5 because of all of the little pieces?
4) Add more Schleich horses? How many is enough?
5) Any other highly recommended horse toys?

Thank you!

DD is 7 and also horse-obsessed.
For Christmas we built her an enormous stable to house Schleich horses, and she received a ton as gifts, so I want to say she has something like 25 now. They are played with constantly.
Duplos and Lego horses are infrequently played with. Playmobil horses are included with the Schleich sometimes but the accessories are not.
DD has two Our Generation foals, so a little smaller than the full-size horses. They are perfect. She also has a Barbie unicorn that gets a lot of love.
IME Playmobil buildings and their tiny accessories get a lot less interest than the animals themselves. I would definitely wait a couple of years.
DD's biggest thing with the Schleich horses is to have families, so the stallion, mare and foal. I think these are fun to collect over time, too.
My Little Pony is always a hit here and has been for several years. :)

ETA: I don't think getting the doll with the OG horse is necessary at all. Bigger dolls are not played with here nearly as much as horses. And I think she received the first OG foal at age 4, but there's really no reason to hold off.

StantonHyde
01-09-2015, 09:42 PM
You can find Bruder horse trailer and truck sets--fun to load up horses and go. Right now Schleich is your best bet in terms of durability. As she gets older she can try Breyer horses. I used to collect and show model horses. I have a ton of them that my mom saved!!

HipMama
01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Definitely a Rody!! My kids love love love ours. My DD (4) loves anything horse related. She has tons of stuff. I even managed to score a Butterscoth The Pony off CL for Xmas. It's a "life sized" horse. She loves the OG horses and foals and even got the OG stable for her Bday. Melissa and Doug has this fun reusable sticker set the she plays with a lot.

mmommy
01-19-2015, 05:47 PM
DD2 was given this Fur Real pony for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/FurReal-Friends-Butterscotch-Walkin-Pony/dp/B00ECV4YRS/ref=pd_sim_t_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=16DV60AW4SM6W1051MVT Both girls love it, and it isn't as obnoxious as most of the toys they've had that make noise.