PDA

View Full Version : Grr, darks washed with DDs' clothes, everything is dingy, what to do?

TwinFoxes
01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
This would have gone in the BP, except I need advice. My one, long standing complaint about DH is his insistence on doing laundry. I've finally threatened him enough that he no longer dares to touch my clothes...this after the favorite jeans/favorite fleece destroying incident of 2012. He does the girls' clothes, even though he doesn't have to, and I discourage it. He does not pre-treat stains, forgets the oxyclean, etc. (See, told you this could be in the BP). Well, today he got creative. He dumped in a load of his random crap from his truck on top of the just-washed load of light colored clothes and rewashed them together, most likely on hot.. Everything is now gray. Gray tees, gray undies (so attractive!) gray PJs. The girls are going to be grossed out. It looks so awful.

The question, are they beyond saving? (And yes they went through the dryer too, because why not?)

ARGH!

citymama
01-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Nooooo! I don't have any brilliant advice but you totally have my sympathies! Ugh.

abh5e8
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
oh no...that stinks!! i would try to wash again, use oxyclean, lots of soap and an extra rinse with vinegar as the softener. then hang to dry, in the sun if possible. if that doesnt work, toss them. i would be SOOOOO annoyed. perhaps he can be part of the replacement plan?

candaceb
01-11-2015, 10:03 PM
maybe Shout Color Catchers? They prevent that problem (I use them for DS's shirts that have a dark colored body with white sleeves) - so maybe they would help?

TwinFoxes
01-11-2015, 10:30 PM
maybe Shout Color Catchers? They prevent that problem (I use them for DS's shirts that have a dark colored body with white sleeves) - so maybe they would help?

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that he ignored the shout color catchers that were sitting right there. :(

123LuckyMom
01-12-2015, 01:57 PM
I fear your DH had better start saving up to replace all those clothes! I'd try a wash with the Oxyclean. You might want to do an overnight pre-soak, too. If that doesn't work, separate out the whites, and try a wash with bleach. Lights can try with color safe bleach. Try to let everything dry by air between washes if needed to see how they look, and try washing them several times. If after three washes they're still dingy, DH owes his daughters a major shopping trip. Maybe the hit in his wallet will teach him to stay out of the laundry room! I'm sorry. I hate when things are destroyed for no good reason through thoughtlessness.