PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with anti dep?

ray7694
01-11-2015, 08:30 PM
I have a debilitating fear of driving in the snow and I live in IL. I worry and panic and feel like I can't go to work. I have a 30 mile commute. I have always been this way about driving in the snow but the commute makes is so much worse. I feel like I am going to be killed. I have a psychiatrist but every med I try causes me bad insomnia and I keep trying them and give up. So now I am taking nothing and panicking. Help would you go back to doctor? I feel crazy.

amom526
01-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Have you explored the CBT route - this, either with or without meds might give you a better shot at coping with the fear.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Do you have snow tires? 4wd? I bought snow tires 3 years ago and my car does not have 4wd. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or not but I'm less scared of driving in snow than I used to be. I know that doesn't answer your question. I'm just sharing something that helped me.

mousemom
01-11-2015, 10:40 PM
Not helpful in the short term, but is there any way you can move close to work? I hate to drive in snowy, icy conditions and I also live in IL. I know it's no big deal for many people, but with the weather around here, there's no way I would travel 30 miles for work. It sounds like this is really impacting your life and we'll-being and the things you've tried to fix it aren't working. I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I hope you can find something to help!

mikala
01-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Have you explored the CBT route - this, either with or without meds might give you a better shot at coping with the fear.
I agree. I'd definitely work with a therapist. Meds may be helpful too.

You might also find this helpful : http://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912

dukie41181
01-13-2015, 08:06 PM
As a therapist, I'd suggest CBT with Exposure work. I have personally done a good amount of work with several driving issues and know there is hope and relief.

Tondi G
01-16-2015, 10:04 PM
I had a good experience with Lexapro when I had anxiety/panic attacks after DS2 was born. Initially it made me more sleepy, no insomnia. I took my med right before I went to bed.

I have also used Rescue Remedy spray ... it kinda helps take the edge off but it's natural.

I would go back to your therapist and see if there is something else you can try. For insomnia, you might try taking Melatonin.

Kestrel
01-17-2015, 03:16 PM
I'm a bad driver. There. I admit it. And in snow, in the dark? (I work early AM.) Scary.

My solution? It sucks. But... I take public transport to work on snow days, and a cab home if DH can't pick me up.

Globetrotter
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Watching with interest as my friend has a fear of highway driving, which is kind of a pain since she commutes! She has to take back roads everywhere.