PDA

View Full Version : Several questions fastpass and Universal

KrystalS
01-15-2015, 04:06 PM
Everyone will be sick of all my questions by the time I have this trip planned! This is the first time I've dealt with the fastpass+ system. So for MK I've read the new 7 dwarfs ride is almost impossible to get. So is it possible to go directly to that ride when we arrive? Or are we still looking at a wait?

At HS, DS LOVES Toy Story so I know he will want to ride more than once. Can we do a FP but also go directly there and ride? Last time we went Toy Story Mania had just opened and the waits were crazy. We went straight there from rope drop and walked on, we tried to turn around and get ride back on, it was an hour wait and all the FP were gone, but this was with the old system.

We are also planning for at least 1, maybe 2 days at Universal. I've done a little research and not sure 1 day will be enough. I really want to do everything Harry Potter, but I think my kids will want to explore other parts of Universal too. Can we get a base ticket or do we need the hopper? I read something about a HP ride going from one side of the park to the other? Any info about Universal is welcome because this will be our first time. I haven't seen too many threads about Universal.

Percycat
01-15-2015, 04:32 PM
If you want to ride the Hogwarts Express from Diagon Alley to Hogsmead or the return route, you will need a park-to-park ticket at Universal.

keh602
01-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Everyone will be sick of all my questions by the time I have this trip planned! This is the first time I've dealt with the fastpass+ system. So for MK I've read the new 7 dwarfs ride is almost impossible to get. So is it possible to go directly to that ride when we arrive? Or are we still looking at a wait?

At HS, DS LOVES Toy Story so I know he will want to ride more than once. Can we do a FP but also go directly there and ride? Last time we went Toy Story Mania had just opened and the waits were crazy. We went straight there from rope drop and walked on, we tried to turn around and get ride back on, it was an hour wait and all the FP were gone, but this was with the old system.

We are also planning for at least 1, maybe 2 days at Universal. I've done a little research and not sure 1 day will be enough. I really want to do everything Harry Potter, but I think my kids will want to explore other parts of Universal too. Can we get a base ticket or do we need the hopper? I read something about a HP ride going from one side of the park to the other? Any info about Universal is welcome because this will be our first time. I haven't seen too many threads about Universal.

I would definitely secure the FP+ for Toy Story as soon as you can, and then yes, I would head straight there at rope drop. At least then you'd be able to get two rides in (at least).

I'm not sure about 7 Dwarves (we did have FP), but I think it's probably the same thing; just head straight there at rope drop.

Just remember that morning extra magic hours can affect all of that!

LKMang
01-15-2015, 09:21 PM
If you want to ride the Hogwarts Express from Diagon Alley to Hogsmead or the return route, you will need a park-to-park ticket at Universal.

Yes and it's worth it! Both sections of Harry Potter are so great and my kids loved riding the Hogwarts Express.

KrystalS
01-15-2015, 11:04 PM

Yes and it's worth it! Both sections of Harry Potter are so great and my kids loved riding the Hogwarts Express.

Thanks for the info, will make sure we get the hopper!

klwa
01-16-2015, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure if I posted this on one of your questions or not, so I'll do it again. This site ( http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835236 ) tracks currently availability of various fast passes, including 7DMT. Honestly, based on this, I think if you look as soon as your window opens, you SHOULD be able to get a FP for it. Anna & Elsa are almost impossible to get, though. easywdw says that if you go straight to 7DMT, you're still looking at 45+ minutes unless you run to be at the front of the line.

hellbennt
01-16-2015, 09:10 AM
ds1, 11 ran to mine train at rope drop - we were close behind! the first day he was second and he said,"I'm going to be first tomorrow!" And he was! :)

we go to mine train first, then to Pooh, perhaps Arielle's Clam shell ride, then to thunder mountain for a few times, then space mountain a few times, buzz light year, etc. & we have our fast passes for the afternoon. Since we start early, we eat lunch early & it's not too crowded. We like lunch at what's it called? the counter service -Liberty Tavern (I get confused, lol) - the 'fish & chips' place. They changed the kids menu so the fish & chip come w/ nuggets, too, but you can order w/ just the fish - that's what I do :)

Globetrotter
01-17-2015, 04:40 PM
For harry potter, you need a hopper. To get the full experience, start in diagon alley (in universal), finish that then take Hogwarts express to hogsmeade (islands of adventure). We were able to finish hp in one day but it wasn't a maximum crowd day and we did got back twice to see minor details we missed. Check the touring plans website for info. On crowd calendars for the day/s you go. If it's a peak season visit, it would be good to have two days. Some of the universal rides are amazing for special effects, and I don't do roller coasters. Spider-Man, transformers, Simpsons were favorites, outside of the hp rides, but if you have any motion sickness you should take Dramamine before these motion simulator rides. . That has made my amusement park visits doable. Minions ride was nice but my kids weren't all that impressed. I noticed your kids are 4 and 10, so the older one will be able to handle a lot more, if not everything. I'm not sure about the little one, but we saw tons of little kids on the motion simulator rides so it depends on the kid. The shrek photo op is nice as they (shrek and the donkey) actually talk in character using live voices and joke with the visitors. I'm not sure how that works lol

Getting back to harry potter, make sure you visit all the shops and check out the facades to look for small details. There are details at every turn. For instance, the janitorial staff at kings cross are dressed in character. Read the touring plans descriptions for more information and insider tips. For example, you can mail postcards with the hogsmeade stamp. The leaky cauldron was nice but the three broomsticks was a terrible disappointment- the food was barely edible. The ice cream in diagon alley was nothing special. Of course, you will have to try butter beer and pumpkin juice. You will see the dragon breathing fire periodically above gringotts bank. Don't miss knockturn alley! Ollivanders has a wand demonstration and they pick a couple of kids out of the crowd to participate and choose Their wands (you don't have to buy them, of course, but they do a little sales pitch at the end!). If you don't plan to buy a wand and your kid wants one, this could be a problem. They are around $45. These are interactive wands that you use in the hp area, but we didn't do it as the kids weren't interested. The shops are totally overpriced and overhyped, but we did get the jelly beans and chocolate frogs.

The hp rides are amazing and the wait is interesting with lots of details that a fan will recognize- I read the books years ago so I had forgotten a lot, but my kids are experts lol. This is the first time I thought a 30 minute wait was too short to see everything! I felt rushed. You can also arrange a tour of Hogwarts, separate from the ride. Go to hp in the morning as the afternoon is busy. If you have two days, you can do hp both mornings, but do not miss the Hogwarts express from diagon alley to hogsmeade, and there is a very cool special effect in the station. I think it comes up after you go upstairs at kings cross station. When you see a luggage cart with glass on it, look behind that if someone is walking on the other side. It looks like the passengers are disappearing into the wall at platform 9 ¾. You can stay behind to film your party walking through the wall. I didn't realize this and missed it the first time so we went back the next day to get footage :)
Lmk if you have any questions. Sorry this was disjointed but I was in a hurry :)

7 dwarves has crazy lines but it wasn't all that great, in our opinion, but of course you will have to do it :)

KrystalS
01-17-2015, 10:04 PM
Thank you so much for all the info!! I'm going to try and reread at least the first 2 books before we go!