PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your long underwear/base layer

elbert
01-18-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm realizing we're doing more and more winter sports and I'm still trying to (uncomfortably) squeeze into my long underwear from high school and "borrowing" a thermal top from DH. Time to invest in some long underwear/base layer for myself.

Can anyone recommend brands/styles? I'm looking to stay sub-$100 per item, if possible, and have no intention of doing outdoor activities when it's below 10 degrees out!

Thanks!

Kindra178
01-18-2015, 11:09 PM
I have been very happy with my Patagonia capilene (mid weight) or my LLB heat keepers long underwear. The LLB is much cheaper and works just as well. However, the LLB ones come in odd colors. I don't care because no one sees my long underwear!

Simon
01-18-2015, 11:27 PM
I used to live in my silk long underwear, from Sierra Trading post. Loved, loved those and they lasted for years, despite my not babying them. I like silk best if you'll be going in/out frequently. If its just outside for a few hours, currently, I have a nice pair of REI brand and one Carhartt that are a nice thin but warm layer for outside but I don't overheat indoors.

alirebco
01-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Icebreakers or smartwool

niccig
01-19-2015, 11:37 PM
Icebreakers or smartwool

Icebreakers have better quality in my experience. I have thermals and a sweater that are going on 12 years. I trekked in them for several weeks in Nepal and didn't wash them. They did not smell! I haven't been as impressed with smartwool, especially the socks, I always get holes in them.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, I have a REI brand thermals that are decent.