PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Tax - Anyone compare prices yet?

Mikey0709
01-21-2015, 04:45 PM
I know there has been alot of controversy with the latest Turbo Tax - but after so many years I rather not switch tax programs. (FYI the latest requires you buy premium Turbo tax software if you need certain schedules for businesses...adding about $30 to the cost).

ANYWAY...

Anyone comparison shop for it yet? I usually buy the deluxe when Costco offers the $10 off, but is there anything better out there?
Staples is offering instant discounts, and even amazon is giving an additional $10 off if you have prime, but that's a download copy only and i THINK i want the boxed version.

Anyone see a good deal on Turbo Tax?

elmojessi
01-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Can someone weigh in in boxed version versus online? If it's free online (pay to file, of course), them why would you buy the software? Is there a discount on the filing fees then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MommyAllison
01-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Can someone weigh in in boxed version versus online? If it's free online (pay to file, of course), them why would you buy the software? Is there a discount on the filing fees then?

I've only used the boxed version, and it is free to e-file.

elmojessi
01-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Do you pay to file state, or is that included as well?

MommyAllison
01-22-2015, 12:00 AM
Do you pay to file state, or is that included as well?

State was free as well, I believe, but we've only had to file state taxes once (due to living in a state with no income tax until recently).

jvs195
01-22-2015, 07:14 AM
There are versions for free state, but they cost more than the others. I have not compared prices yet, but most seem the same. My state is free if you can muddle through the website and plug in all the values yourself. It's hidden on their website to even find the free filing online version behind tons of pay to file options. I fill it in on my turbotax and print then file separately.

JElaineB
01-22-2015, 08:24 AM
I bought TurboTax Premier as an Amazon download. With Prime it was the same price as Costco has right now ($54.99 IIRC). As far as I can tell there is no difference between the boxed version and the download.

keckert
01-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Just to add another option, I used HR Block last year for the first time and it input all my TT data into it, no problems at all.

zukeypur
01-22-2015, 12:15 PM
I have bought from costco for the past several years. I need to see if we need a different version this year because DH is working from home. I think we have used the deluxe in the past.

AnnieW625
01-22-2015, 12:25 PM
I paid $39.99 for the deluxe one after the coupon at Costco. Sam's Club has the same deal.

stillplayswithbarbies
01-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Amazon has a deal where you can get an extra 10% on your refund if you take it as an Amazon gift card. You can do some or all of it.

elmojessi
01-22-2015, 01:33 PM
I guess I'll answer my own question here about online versus software filing costs:

For deluxe, the software costs $40 (per other posters finding) and you can file 5 federal returns for free. State costs $20 and you can file up to 3 returns. Total would be $60 for federal and state.

The online version of deluxe costs $35 to file for federal and $37 to file state (in my state, at least, not sure if it varies by state). Total would be $72 for federal and state.

For me, I like not having to install the software each year, but $12 is $12, so I might have to consider the software.

Also, I've read that if you bought Deluxe assuming it would have the same schedules as it did in the past, CSR's have been given the authority to provide you with an upgrade code to bump you up to Premier if you call and complain.

carolinacool
01-22-2015, 03:17 PM
For the last few years, Chase has had a discount that knocked the online Deluxe price down. I don't see it this year, but you can go through Fidelity and get $10 off the Deluxe version, even if you aren't a customer. I'll do that. I also would rather skip installing software.

https://www.fidelity.com/taxes/turbotax-discount/overview

Mikey0709
01-22-2015, 03:42 PM
It has been my experience that the one you get at Costco (deluxe version for around 39.99)... come with free Federal filing (not sure if a limit of how many), one free state program, but does NOT include state e-filing.

AnnieW625
01-22-2015, 04:23 PM
Costco has included the state filing as well the last couple of years in the deluxe version.

I might be interested to read up on how the Amazon thing works though.

nabigus
01-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Anyone need to buy the one that includes Business? I'll have to file self-employment taxes this year and need the full, no doubt expensive, version.

94bruin
01-22-2015, 04:45 PM
I guess I'll answer my own question here about online versus software filing costs:

For deluxe, the software costs $40 (per other posters finding) and you can file 5 federal returns for free. State costs $20 and you can file up to 3 returns. Total would be $60 for federal and state.

The online version of deluxe costs $35 to file for federal and $37 to file state (in my state, at least, not sure if it varies by state). Total would be $72 for federal and state.

For me, I like not having to install the software each year, but $12 is $12, so I might have to consider the software.

Also, I've read that if you bought Deluxe assuming it would have the same schedules as it did in the past, CSR's have been given the authority to provide you with an upgrade code to bump you up to Premier if you call and complain.

We get the boxed version and share it with my parents and brother.

I have bought from costco for the past several years. I need to see if we need a different version this year because DH is working from home. I think we have used the deluxe in the past.

Anyone need to buy the one that includes Business? I'll have to file self-employment taxes this year and need the full, no doubt expensive, version.

I became an independent contractor this year. According to DH, we had to buy the premium?/full version.