PDA

View Full Version : Short legs and ankle boots: tips?

joules
01-25-2015, 10:20 PM
Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I got these ankle boots and I like them a lot but I don't know if I'm not used to the way they look or if I just can't pull it off or if I need to try a different style. I like the heel - it's a good height and really comfortable. And I like the color - the really dark brown goes well with black pants or other colors too.

I've looked on pinterest, extrapetite, the mom edit (ANMJ) for inspiration. But on pinterest all the pictures are of tall skinny people. extrapetite and mom edit are also really skinny.

I'm 5'2", a curvy size 4.....and huge feet! I'm about a 7.5 length wise, but my feet are wide so I have to buy size 8. (i know size 8 isn't huge...but i'm short too so it doesn't look proportional)

I've tried my gap legging jeans (in petite) rolled up a tiny bit so that a tiny sliver of ankle shows above the boot (found out about this "rule" from pinterest). I think this looks the "best". I asked DH and I can't tell from his response if it looks good or not. Seems like he thinks it doesn't look bad...but he didn't say "you look great!!" either. But he also thought they worked together. hmm. yah he was so not helpful.

I also tried a short dress and brown tights. I feel like it looks like I'm wearing clogs. My feet look huge. I think daintier heels would be more flattering...but then I realize ankle boots are more of an "edgy" look....I just can't figure out if it's because I'm not used to it or if I really look stupid. :)

I also tried other legging jeans ...but they are all so long and it made me remember why I never tried ankle boots before. I always wear tall boots with those jeans so I can hide the extra length in the boots.

Haha. maybe this post belongs in the Bitching forum instead.

wendibird22
01-25-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm your size but wear a 6 shoe. I find I have to do a shootie instead of ankle boot. I have two pair, different styles, but both hit at my ankle bone. Any higher and I can't make it work.

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2015, 10:50 PM
A size 4, in my book, is small and petite. Now, sure, there are 00s, 0s and 2s but 4 is still small, I promise you! You are petite. :) So, hang up any insecurities there and use those gals as inspiration- they probably look about like you do. :)

You might want to look at the Sam Edleman short booties. I bought a pair and they do well on my size 8 feet (and 5'2" size 8 self) with skinny jeans and leggings. I have a pair like you show about that fit tight around my ankle/ calf- no gaping- that I wear sometimes with skirts dresses. I keep experimenting with tucked in vs rolled pant legs. I personally think the tucked in works better for some of my outfits.

I had to buy a ton of booties to find ones that weren't too gaping. I think I have bought and returned at least 8 pairs this year.

brittone2
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM
I like ankle booties cut lower on the ankle. I have a pair of tan suede booties similar in shape to the SE Pettys (picked up uber cheap from TJ Maxx) and recently picked up some Lucky Basel booties from Macy's http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lucky-brand-womens-basel-booties?ID=1539528 with a GC I received over the holidays.

Is there a gap at your ankle? Have you tried a dark legging with them? Do you like them with jeans tucked in at all? I like the booties that are shorter on the ankle than yours with rolled jeans, but with the style of boot you have (similar to Rag and Bone Newbury, etc.) I would probably try tucking my jeans into the booties to see if I liked them that way.

bcafe
01-26-2015, 02:02 PM
I have similar booties to the OP, Lucky Oscarr. I either roll my jeans or tuck because they are "tall" enough in that my hem does not come out.
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lucky-brand-oscarr-booties?ID=1917337&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340001039107&catargetid=120156340000975756&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Seasonal_PLA-_-All+Products+-+GS_All+Products-_-53151159035_-_-_mkwid_tW0sy3Oy|dc_53151159035|-|tW0sy3Oy&gclid=CMPIm_OessMCFQ6AaQodGKAAyg

mom2binsd
01-27-2015, 12:36 PM
So, I'm 4'11", I wear a 0, and have pretty long legs for my height , and I rarely wear booties with my skinnies, I just find that the look of a bootcut jean/pant is more flattering. I have a pair of wedge booties that I do wear with my skinnies rolled but I think I look best with the elongated look of a bootcut jean and heels etc.

I see a lot of women wearing the new trend of booties and rolled jeans, but honestly not everyone can pull it off.

Wear what makes you feel comfortable, but don't feel the need to wear all the latest trends either.

brittone2
01-27-2015, 02:20 PM
OP, have you tried a relaxed skinny vs a tighter skinny? I wonder if it would make the size of the boot and your foot look more proportional as compared to a really slim skinny jeans.

joules
01-31-2015, 01:21 AM
I sadly returned the boots today. I really wanted to make them work. But in the end, I thought they only looked good with one pair of jeans.

Thanks for all the advice. I came back and re-read everything and tried every suggestion....multiple times in the last week. =)

You might want to look at the Sam Edleman short booties. I bought a pair and they do well on my size 8 feet (and 5'2" size 8 self) with skinny jeans and leggings. I have a pair like you show about that fit tight around my ankle/ calf- no gaping- that I wear sometimes with skirts dresses. I keep experimenting with tucked in vs rolled pant legs. I personally think the tucked in works better for some of my outfits.

I like the SE booties! I looked at the SE Pettys someone else posted about. I like them...but was hoping for more of a heel. I'm going to keep an eye out. The boots I had had gaping around the ankle..so I think that's why the rolled pant legs looked better. When I tucked them into the boot, it looked like I had no ankles. Leggings looked ok-ish tucked in, but pants did not.

I like ankle booties cut lower on the ankle. I have a pair of tan suede booties similar in shape to the SE Pettys (picked up uber cheap from TJ Maxx) and recently picked up some Lucky Basel booties from Macy's http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lucky-brand-womens-basel-booties?ID=1539528 with a GC I received over the holidays.

Is there a gap at your ankle? Have you tried a dark legging with them? Do you like them with jeans tucked in at all? I like the booties that are shorter on the ankle than yours with rolled jeans, but with the style of boot you have (similar to Rag and Bone Newbury, etc.) I would probably try tucking my jeans into the booties to see if I liked them that way.

You guys convinced me to return my boots and try a lower cut one. I'll try again. It was such a long process. Trying on multiple pants, tucking in, rolling up, trying with skirts and tights, etc. haha

OP, have you tried a relaxed skinny vs a tighter skinny? I wonder if it would make the size of the boot and your foot look more proportional as compared to a really slim skinny jeans.

I'm not sure if I have a relaxed skinny. I have a DKNY skinny I got from costco, which is more skinny/slim cut than the jegging like ones I have. But the ankle part of it kind of flares out so I couldn't tuck it in, and it just weirdly covered the top of the boot and it was just weird. I think I need more pants! heehee.