PDA

View Full Version : Dining room homework area

Beckylove
01-26-2015, 12:26 AM
The kids do all their homework in the formal dining room. So I have markers, crayons, writing tablets, flash cards, coloring books, pencil sharpeners, etc stacked on the table all the time.

Where do you put your homework stuff? I have a place to put a shelf or cabinet, but want it to look dining room pretty. What do I need? Where do I get it?

I need some ideas. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2015, 12:37 AM
We have a built in cabinet and shelves. Very handy. I love having doors to put stuff behind.

niccig
01-26-2015, 01:33 AM
I don't have any cabinets to put it in. I have a wheeled drawer cart for some things. I put a hanging file holder on the buffet and hanging files for all the paperwork that comes home. Beside the hanging folder is a container store multipurpose bin for the dictionary, atlas etc. Not the prettiest for everyday, but over the holidays, we put the cart and the file holder in DS's room, so easy to change back to dining room.

KrisM
01-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Our dining room is next to the kitchen and I made a homework drawer that is the drawer closest to the dining room. Pencils, crayons, stapler, tape, protractor, calculator, etc live there. The pencil sharpener is on the counter above the drawer.

WatchingThemGrow
01-26-2015, 09:08 AM
That rolling IKEA cart whose name escapes me holds our stuff. It rolls into the dining room closet.

abh5e8
01-26-2015, 11:33 AM
do you have space in your china cabinet? in our previous house, I gave the kids one of the bottom doors and the drawers of the china cabinet to keep school supplies in. it worked really well. I didn't want to look at them all the time. :) now, we have a much bigger dining room (and not really formal). i have a short billy bookcase from Ikea with the doors on it. it works really well. on top of the bookcase sit a basket with buckets of markers, pens, etc and a couple plants. we have a nice map on the wall above. its on one side of the fireplace and my china cabinet is on the other.

LBW
01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
That rolling IKEA cart whose name escapes me holds our stuff. It rolls into the dining room closet.

Same here. It's this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50227973/

I also picked up some tall, round stainless containers at Ikea that hold pens, pencils, rulers, etc. They sit on the middle shelf of the cart. I have a hanging file folder on the top shelf to hold ruled paper, blank paper, and any files that need to be referenced during the week.

WatchingThemGrow
01-26-2015, 01:55 PM
Same here. It's this one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50227973/

I also picked up some tall, round stainless containers at Ikea that hold pens, pencils, rulers, etc. They sit on the middle shelf of the cart. I have a hanging file folder on the top shelf to hold ruled paper, blank paper, and any files that need to be referenced during the week.

Oh for the crayon/pencil/marker containment- we had a plastic caddy with a handle in the middle (like a moat around the handle, lol) and we used those plastic party favor cups that were junking up our cabinets- drop the cups around the caddy and fill 'er up! Fits perfectly on a shelf.

The ikea plastic hanging cups work on the outside of the cart also.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk