PDA

View Full Version : Which "big" present?

Mopey
01-30-2015, 12:04 PM
So Mopey is almost three and I can't decide what to recommend to the grandparents for a present (we've already gotten her a few little things).

She loves the little Hape kitchen both her cousin and a best friend have - this one: http://www.diapers.com/p/hape-gourmet-kitchen-white-57364?qid=982048955121276199&sr=1-2 And we could actually fit it in our space. She does have a few different food toys as well.

But she also love art projects and I thought maybe a better idea would be an easel (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cra-Z-Art-3-1-Artist-Easel/dp/B002OSWLKI/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1422633600&sr=1-2&keywords=art+easel) As it is she definitely need new paints, paper and a smock.

Of course as she's sitting next to me she says kitchen but I'm still not sure. Would love some opinions as to what has been used the most in your house please! (In general she doesn't play alone as much lately so I'd love something that captures her imagination...)

TIA!!

sunnyside
01-30-2015, 12:21 PM
My 4yo plays with play food all the time, but not with the actual kitchen as much. Hers is from Pottery Barn. My parents got her the Melissa & doug art easel, accessory kit, apron, extra paper, and she loved it. I added a bunch of art supplies and a rolling cart from Ikea to keep it all in and it is used all the time.

Liziz
01-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Ooo, that is a tough one! My very soon to be 3 DD got both of these items for Christmas...she uses both. We have this kitchen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099UXYNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 --- it's a really nice kitchen, but it's quite small as well, so it works in our smaller space. We have this easel: http://www.amazon.com/Step2-Easel-Magnetic-Letters-Numbers/dp/B001BSBYAU/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1422673418&sr=1-2&keywords=easel (or really close to it).

DD likes both. I don't/can't/won't leave her unattended with the easel, and we don't have space to keep it set up all the time -- so that only gets used when she asks for it -- she uses it mostly to draw w/ markers (on the dry erase side, or we'll put a piece of paper up and she'll use regular markers). The kitchen gets more independent play than the easel. She doesn't use it ALL the time, but I've enjoyed seeing how she uses it....like today, she decided that her baby doll's clothes were dirty, so she took them off and went to wash them in her play kitchen's sink. Personally, if I had to only choose one of the two for DD, I would choose the kitchen. It's easy to do art at the table -- easel isn't necessary. While it's possible to play kitchen w/o a kitchen -- I think it's not as easy. And there's so many imagination games to play with a kitchen! Plus, w/ a second baby on the way -- I like anything that helps her do the smallest bit of independent play!

mmommy
01-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Both of my girls have played more independently with the kitchen and food. The easel is great, but it's limited in art making use, and both my kids have been more interested in cutting and taping, etc, and the easel is really best for painting or drawing. The kitchen is great for playing with others, and my girls, who are 3 years apart in age, play with it together which is really ideal. The other thing that's nice is that there are endless additions in terms of new foods and tools to use with it. Plus, aren't you a cook or baker? Your kids might want to "work" like you do.

lalasmama
01-30-2015, 11:17 PM
Kitchen!

With the easel/paint, at least with me, there's not much of an option of a 3yo independently using it at all.... I have to get them ready, I have to get everything set up, I have to constantly observe to make sure furniture/floor/easel/sibling doesn't get painted, then I have to clean up everything when she's all done!

So, for day-to-day, "what's going to get the most play," I'm all about the kitchen. My mom did an in-home daycare, and the kitchen was, by far, the kids' favorite day-to-day toy apart from the Little Tykes climber she had in the house.

citymama
01-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Kitchen and easel are both great gifts for that age. I think we bought DD1 the Hape kitchen at 2 and M&D easel at 3. I would go to IKEA where you can get both for the price of 1! If space is an issue, go for the kitchen - you can do art on the kitchen table.

123LuckyMom
01-31-2015, 05:50 AM
I really don't think you can go wrong with either one! Our kitchen gets a lot of play. Our easel does, too, but ours is a chalk board easel, and the chalk stays out, so they can just use it whenever they want without any help from me or set-up. I'm not good about art projects, because I'm not crafty, and I don't like craft-oriented mess, so an easel like you're considering wouldn't get much use in our house. When we do paints or markers, it's a supervised activity.

KrisM
01-31-2015, 07:51 AM
Well, at 8.5, my DD still has and uses the easel, but the kitchen has been gone for a couple of years. The easel is used for painting and drawing, but also for playing school, leaving secret messages, etc. It's been in constant use for over 4 years. So if I were picking 1 for a 3yo, I might do the kitchen and then hold off on the easel for a year or so.

boilermakermom
01-31-2015, 09:26 AM
I agree with PP. At 6.5 the easel is in use, and the play kitchen has been sent to the basement. We have the Melissa and Doug easel and it's help up to constant use.

westwoodmom04
01-31-2015, 10:21 AM
I never bought an easel because I thought it would be too messy for independent play. Kitchen will get lots of use (especially with another on the way), and usually is popular for a few years.

Mopey
01-31-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks everyone - I definitely see the points about both and it's true that I am dying for her to play more independently. For some reason lately she just doesn't. Plus it would seem the nap is really on the way out so I'm just going to go cry now ;) (what will I do when I'm huge and want to sleeeeeeeeeeep? hahahahaha)

I do like the idea too that the kitchen can go with the tea sets, cutting fruit, pizza and ice cream toys she's already been given! And yes Mmommy - she loves to bake with me when I can let her join in and it's a huge mess so her own pretend to go along might go a long way! ;)

Thanks!!

flashy09
02-02-2015, 09:04 PM
What gets my DD1 lost in her own little world for a long time is her dollhouse and figurines. The dollhouse is like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pink-Barbie-Doll-Dream-House-Set-Girls-Doll-Houses-Dollhouse-Furniture-Room-Play-/221678603861
and I bought a bunch of Frozen, Doc McStuffins, Sophia the First, and Disney princess figures. She gets this zone where she is playing and talking to herself and very imaginative.

It might be her - my family are all big daydreamers and she does the same thing in the car with her dolls - but thought I would share because this buys me the most time by far!

Mopey
02-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks Flash - she was given a little Melissa and Doug one by her grandmother this Christmas (http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Fold-Mini-Dollhouse/dp/B001P9OGRS/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1423101579&sr=1-2&keywords=melissa+and+doug+dollhouse) and though she likes it she's not as into it as your girl it would seem. She's done a good job playing in her crib with friends for rest but it seems if I'm around she wants me to do everything with her. I'm imagining lots of couch time while she makes me treats ;) In fact, I actually found the Hape kitchen for $45 off plus Ebates on Amazon this morning and ordered it ($85 delivered plus cash back! WHA???!!!)! Happy dance!

In the meantime I'll try to get her into the dollhouse more too :)

sunnyside
02-04-2015, 10:11 PM
I think you are getting pretty close to independent play time! I'm not sure when my daughter started, but I think around 24-30 months. My house looks like a preschool exploded, which I do not like, but having lots of options has been a great thing for us, in terms of getting some time to myself.

hillview
02-05-2015, 08:56 AM
huge fan of a kitchen