PDA

View Full Version : undies for you?

boilermakermom
02-05-2015, 07:30 AM
I need some new undies. I know Soma gets love on the boards. Why? Are they that great? When is the best time to buy?

Any other favs? Jockey? Vanity Fair?

zukeypur
02-05-2015, 09:35 AM
I have only bught Soma for the past year or two, and i will likely stick with them. They are super comfy, wash well, and don't ride up. I like the embraceable hipsters the best, followed by the embraceable boyshorts. I also have a lace thong that i wear occasionally.

pastrygirl
02-05-2015, 09:59 AM
I went through a thorough search last year for undies that didn't give VPL. I bought at least 15 different pairs. While I do like the Soma pairs for looks, they give VPL (I have the Sensuous Lace bikini or hi-leg, can't remember). I tried Commando, Vanity Fair, DKNY, Jockey, Calvin Klein, Hanky Panky, and probably a few others.

I ended up discovering that the ones I already had, and had been wearing for workouts only, are the ONLY ones that don't give me VPL. So now that's what I wear all the time. Fruit of the Loom cotton bikinis, with the waistband that's not cottony.

Twoboos
02-05-2015, 10:05 AM
The Soma Vanishing Edge ones don't give VPL. They have some kind of elastic or something around the leg opening that make them stay in place - they do not move at all.

Someone here recommended them during the last sale, and they are really good!

urbanmommy
02-05-2015, 10:14 AM
I really like the Felina ones at Costco. They are stretchy and comfortable, no vpl, and $10 for a 6 pack. They have another brand there - itsy bitsy, or something like that, that I don't care for. They are too tight in the waist and thighs.

marinkitty
02-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Hanky Panky thongs (the regular cut). They are awesome. Comfy, no VPL and pretty too. I have slowly replaced all of mine with these over the past 3 years or so. They are the only ones I have now.

Katigre
02-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Hankey Panky thongs, Hanes stretch cotton hipsters (from Target or amazon here - http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Comfortsoft-Stretch-Hipster-Assorted/dp/B00O9GTC5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423151832&sr=8-1&keywords=hanes+hipsters)

calebsmama03
02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
I have only bught Soma for the past year or two, and i will likely stick with them. They are super comfy, wash well, and don't ride up. I like the embraceable hipsters the best, followed by the embraceable boyshorts. I also have a lace thong that i wear occasionally.

I could have written this almost to a "T". I love the embraceable lace hipsters. They frequently have them on promo where you buy 5 for $30, IIRC? Several times a year they have a "Panty Raid" sale and certain styles (often the EL line) are 7 for $35. I will say that as much as I love them, I did have one "bad batch" where the lace is starting to unravel on a few of the edges. I need to email CS because I have several pairs of the same colors that are unopened and waiting as backup. Want to see if I can get credit if I return even though it's past the return time by a few weeks. I haven't tried the vanishing edge ones because the rubbery strip feels weird to me, but I may gab a pair or two just for when I want to avoid VPL. I usually wear jeans or leggings with tunic length tops so VPL isn't a big issue for me :)

Zukini
02-05-2015, 12:13 PM
Hanky Panky thongs (the regular cut). They are awesome. Comfy, no VPL and pretty too. I have slowly replaced all of mine with these over the past 3 years or so. They are the only ones I have now.

Hands down, Hanky Panky! Oh so comfortable!!

wendibird22
02-05-2015, 12:16 PM
I swear by the Soma vanishing edge hipsters. I own probably 15 pair. The shape of my butt gives me VPL in every other brand and style. IMO their hipster fits more like the classic cotton bikini of VS from ~15yr ago. Soma's bikini fit is more string bikini to me. The silicon lines on the vanishing edge keep them in place and allow for a very thin edge that doesn't roll, doesn't move, and doesn't give VPL. I line dry mine and they've held up very very well. A few have pull a bit at the lower hip seam but haven't unraveled or come apart any further than that even with repeated wear and wash. They are pricey so I wait for panty raid sale.

legaleagle
02-05-2015, 02:59 PM
I love these Nordstrom BP ones - http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bp-undercover-lace-waist-hipster-briefs-juniors/3866634?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=Beige+Frappe&resultback=0 I can't wear anything synthetic for crotch - these are very similar to some gap had about 6-7 years ago. Super comfy and often $25/5. They have held up well. I'm generally a small in pants and got the medium - the large was definitely too big.

Kindra178
02-05-2015, 08:19 PM
I am a recent Soma convert for boy shorts. I like the Embraceable more than the Vanishing Edge, but both work.

boolady
02-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm a fairly recent Soma convert as well, and first tried the Embraceable, which I really like. Then, I got one pair of the Vanishing Edge to try, and I love them. I want to go get several more.

mom2binsd
02-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Another love for Soma, I will say, the models (pics in catalogue and in store) don't really wear the panties like real people, I find the hipster Vanishing edge one's fit more like a high cut bikini...and the silcone edge is easy to get used to...to the OP about wearing under workout pants, these work great. The panties don't sit as low on me as they do. They definitely don't look "dumpy" like a think hipster ones sometimes do, the lace at the side is pretty and the new BF says they are his fav.....

I also line dry mine.

Make sure you try on in store, in one style I'm a xs and another s...and the difference is signficant.

twowhat?
02-05-2015, 08:48 PM
I'm a Soma newbie and got the embraceable boy shorts and embraceable hipsters during the last sale. For me the hipsters are *mostly* VPL-free depending on the pants I wear. The boy shorts are VPL-free on me since the lace hem hits low. And doesn't ride up!

I love both styles.

I previously would buy whatever was on sale at Costco. Those are fine for basic cotton undies but were NEVER VPL-free. The Soma ones are much softer - silky/cotton-y and are so comfy - the lace is soft and isn't itchy.

rolypoly27
02-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Love my embraceable hipsters from soma! So comfortable and no VPL for me.

mikala
02-06-2015, 12:41 AM
I'm a fairly recent Soma convert as well, and first tried the Embraceable, which I really like. Then, I got one pair of the Vanishing Edge to try, and I love them. I want to go get several more.
I agree with all of this. I need to watch for another soma sale...

tarnator
02-11-2015, 11:09 PM
I have some lace trimmed boyshorts from Marks & Spencer that I love. I also really like their lace trimmed brazilian style ones when I need something sexier. :)

AnnieW625
02-26-2015, 11:33 AM
I love these Natori Bliss panties (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/natori-bliss-briefs-3-for-45/3021575?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=948) to wear with work pants and even jeans and in regards to jeans it has been almost 20 yrs. since I wore a regular panty with jeans as I usually prefer thongs with jeans. Thong wise I had been buying Hanky Panky and Soma Sensous Lace thongs, but didn't really have the budget for more expensive thongs (I needed the panties more, and of course I missed the Soma Panty Raid sale this time by about two weeks!) so at my sister's suggestion I tried the Gilligan & O'Malley thongs from Target and love them. They are just as comfortable as the Hanky Panky and Soma ones. I will say with Soma I think they run small so you might want to size up.