PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up?"

jennilynn
02-09-2015, 01:36 PM
I read this book ("The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" (http://www.amazon.com/The-Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering/dp/1607747308)) cover to cover this weekend and am super excited about getting started. It's a little hokey but she gives a nicely detailed order on what categories of items to start with (clothing, then books, miscellaneous stuff, papers and mementos.) I'm going to share it with my mom next--she's ready to tackle her home too. Anyone else read it? Thoughts?

zukeypur
02-09-2015, 01:58 PM
The reviews look promising.

jam224
02-09-2015, 04:58 PM
It's been on my Amazon Wish List since it came out last year. I like the author's concept: discard anything that doesn't "spark joy."

aa2mama
02-09-2015, 05:44 PM
I am in the middle of reading it and love it so far! I love the concept of keeping only items that spark joy, and I imagine that it will be very freeing to let go of things that don't. I tend to be pretty minimalist when it comes to possessions, but I really struggle with piles of paperwork because I think I will need to refer back to them at some point. She has given me a new perspective on evaluating those piles.

I am conflicted about following her advice to store most clothes in drawers. I prefer to hang most of my clothes, and I'm pretty happy with my closet as it is. It's arranged by type and color, and it is a system that I have maintained for years and still like. I feel like my clothing drawers tend to be black holes. Granted, I expect to like the drawers much more once I have discarded the clothes I don't love and have folded the remaining items so I can see everything, but I'm not sure I will want to change the part that already works for me.

essnce629
02-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Interesting! Found some more info about her book and method (KonMari Method) here:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/nov/27/top-tips-to-joyfully-declutter-your-home-from-marie-kondo

http://www.luckyshops.com/article/konmari-method-closet-cleaning

I think I'll try it!

rlu
02-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I am conflicted about following her advice to store most clothes in drawers. I prefer to hang most of my clothes, and I'm pretty happy with my closet as it is. It's arranged by type and color, and it is a system that I have maintained for years and still like. I feel like my clothing drawers tend to be black holes. Granted, I expect to like the drawers much more once I have discarded the clothes I don't love and have folded the remaining items so I can see everything, but I'm not sure I will want to change the part that already works for me.

I haven't read this book so grain of salt, but why change what is working for you? When I read self-help books or blogs (orgjunkie is a fav) I take what is useful to me and leave the rest.

eta: wow, this book is popular, I'm 47 on the wait list!

eta: up to 20 on the wait list as of 3/31!

eta: finally able to pick up on 4/17. As I entered the library I saw three copies sitting on their "lucky day" (popular books that aren't reservable, check out for 1 week with 1 one-week renewal). figures. haven't started yet.

jennilynn
02-09-2015, 06:32 PM
It's been on my Amazon Wish List since it came out last year. I like the author's concept: discard anything that doesn't "spark joy."

It had been on mine a while too and I finally bought it. So worth the $10! I don't know about magic, but her ideas are life changing for sure!

brittone2
02-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I read it about a month ago and really enjoyed it. I purged about half of my closet not long after, and DH aggressively attacked his stuff too.

At first some of the ideas seem a little out there, but when reflected on them, I decided they were pretty brilliant. The idea of "does it spark joy?" really helps simplify those feelings that pop up when you purge: guilt, the feeling it might one day be useful, the emotions tied to gifts from others, the money spent, etc. "Does it spark joy," IMO is a simple way to just plow through some of those weird emotional things that can make it so challenging to purge.

Ditto the whole idea of thanking your items for service and so forth; it seems crazy at first, but I think there's something to what she's saying. I don't do that and never will, but I think it comes back to caring for what you have, respecting and cherishing your belongings enough to not overwork and abuse them ;) So yeah, I don't thank my socks for their service, but she's onto something. When you have too much and can't care for it properly, I think it can make you feel not so great about yourself and it definitely makes your items wear out and look haggard.

The book is very simple at face value, but I found myself reflecting a bit on it in the weeks after I read it, and I got more out of it as time went on.

If more people read it, we should chat more about it!

eta: with respect to drawers, I still hang a large # of items, fold my sweaters as I always have, fold my jeans, and then my dresser has underthings, workout wear, tee shirts, and loungewear. That works fine for me. I had switched over to folding things and placing them vertically prior to reading her book (just picked that idea up from other sources and found it worked well for me), so that wasn't much of a change. I have tried to stop de-balling my socks :P That's how I grew up, so that's still my default sometimes :)

Tenasparkl
02-11-2015, 03:06 AM
I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I can't wait to start it!

citymama
02-11-2015, 03:58 AM
On my list too!

oneplustwo
02-12-2015, 12:05 AM
WOW! I'm the 484th request for one of 176 copies of this in our library system. Talk about a popular book! Maybe I'll get a chance to read it the summer of 2016!

SnuggleBuggles
02-12-2015, 12:15 AM
I think they talked about it on the NPR show Here and Now. It was an interesting conversation. It didn't inspire me to follow the decluttering plan though :). Link http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2014/12/09/tidying-up-kondo-westmoreland

aa2mama
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
I haven't read this book so grain of salt, but why change what is working for you? When I read self-help books or blogs (orgjunkie is a fav) I take what is useful to me and leave the rest.

I think organizing brings out the "good girl" in me that wants to follow the rules! You give me confidence that it's ok to bend them:)

aa2mama
02-12-2015, 12:04 PM
eta: with respect to drawers, I still hang a large # of items, fold my sweaters as I always have, fold my jeans, and then my dresser has underthings, workout wear, tee shirts, and loungewear. That works fine for me. I had switched over to folding things and placing them vertically prior to reading her book (just picked that idea up from other sources and found it worked well for me), so that wasn't much of a change. I have tried to stop de-balling my socks :P That's how I grew up, so that's still my default sometimes :)

Do you put any sort of divider in your drawers or do the clothes stand up well on their own?

I have to confess that I didn't entirely understand how she was recommends to fold socks. I even tried finding a YouTube video:bag

legaleagle
02-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I read this about a month ago and really liked it, though I lost steam on purging over the holidays. Some of the stuff that seems really out there is cultural differences, I think - Shintoism, among others, and some assumptions about how houses are laid out. It is definitely a book written for a Japanese audience, though applicable to everyone.

I think I will reread parts before embarking on the next purge too, it's a very quick read in general.

My clothes seem to stand up pretty well on their own if they're folded as she says. I wear mostly wool socks and lots of knee highs, so I fold them in half, if small, 2 or 3 times if taller and stand on the edge - the main idea I believe is to have them in a rectangular shape. I keep them in some clear plastic fridge bins I got at the container store because otherwise they don't stay folded, since wool socks are kind of springy.

brittone2
02-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Do you put any sort of divider in your drawers or do the clothes stand up well on their own?

I have to confess that I didn't entirely understand how she was recommends to fold socks. I even tried finding a YouTube video:bag

I have a few dividers and even larger shoe boxes, and that works for me. My tee shirts are in there with no divider, but they are up against several long and narrow containers I use for socks (dollar store I think?). I roll up yoga/workout tights in a different drawer and roll up tank tops/camisoles. Workout tanks and shorts are folded or rolled in a plastic shoe box (they seem too slippery to fold and "file" vertically like I do my tee shirts).

firstbaby
02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
I just finished reading it Friday after seeing it recommended in this thread. Loved it! DH and I have been in a cycle of purging every couple of years but it has never been ruthless enough. :) we were snowed in Saturday so I went back through my clothes which I just did a month ago but there was still a big pile of stuff I pulled out. I'm trying to get through craft things now and would love to talk about this book more! I really want DH to read it. He started to get a little frustrated this weekend when I was putting "perfectly good stuff" in the discard pile :)

belovedgandp
02-24-2015, 12:57 AM
WOW! I'm the 484th request for one of 176 copies of this in our library system. Talk about a popular book! Maybe I'll get a chance to read it the summer of 2016!

We'll have to race. I'm 216th on 36 copies. Maybe I'll finally have to figure out how to use my no-rush shipping credits on Amazon.

KrisM
02-24-2015, 08:12 AM
I started it over the weekend. So far, it's interesting. I'm maybe 1/4 through.

legaleagle
02-24-2015, 12:37 PM
We'll have to race. I'm 216th on 36 copies. Maybe I'll finally have to figure out how to use my no-rush shipping credits on Amazon.

They're automatically applied whenever you make a digital purchase :)

jennilynn
02-24-2015, 12:56 PM
I just finished the paper category last night! I'm really starting to see major progress. Fewer clothes in my closet has made it easier to get ready in the mornings and my closets and cabinets can breathe. So far DH hasn't helped but he thinks everything is "mine." To be fair I do 99% of the shopping so he's kind of right. I'd love to talk about it more! This book really is life changing!!!

firstbaby
02-25-2015, 03:47 PM
Here are some things I would like to discuss:

So, I've finished my clothes and papers and books. Next would be kimono items so I'm taking that to mean everything that's left except for personal notes and photos? I've gone through the kitchen, dining room, living room, and family room. I have another room we use as a school room and my craft things are in there. I've pulled about 1/2 to 2/3 of my craft items out to discard but still have several hours I need to spend in that room. I know she doesn't advocate going room by room, but at this point I'm trying to think through categories, so by finishing the school room I will have craft things and school things done. After the school room is done, I will have the kids' toys left and holiday decorations in our storage room. I moved all personal notes and photos to one place and will go through those when everything else is done.

While I *know* I have done a lot of sorting, I don't feel the total weight gone because the things I'm discarding are sitting in a pile waiting for the weather to warm up enough to garage sale. It's kind of making me crazy.

Also, I've decided I can't take on my kids things in their rooms - their clothing, their books, etc. So, I've encouraged them to go through their rooms and we change their closet out every season and I feel like that's the best it's going to be right now.

As I mentioned upthread, DH hasn't read the book so he doesn't understand my "ruthlessness" with this sorting. It frustrates him to see things we've spent money on going out of the house - things we may "someday" need or things that are still functional - knowing we won't get that money back when selling. She totally addresses that in the book and I agree with her. DH is like the mother in the book she warns us about, LOL. I've told him I feel suffocated by the excess and need to pare down. I'm going through a rough patch emotionally so controlling the things I own and paring them down is making me happy.

I would estimate I have three to four solid days of work to get through everything and be done. Sounds kind of daunting with three kids, homeschooling, etc but I am determined!

AbbysMom
02-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Totally in the mood to do this but am number 92 on the library list for it! If I jump in and do my clothes now, anything I need to know besides "keep it only if you love it"? Already wondering about those items that I need but don't necessarily love...

KrisM
02-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Totally in the mood to do this but am number 92 on the library list for it! If I jump in and do my clothes now, anything I need to know besides "keep it only if you love it"? Already wondering about those items that I need but don't necessarily love...

You are supposed to gather all your clothes from everywhere in teh house and pile them up in the middle of the room. So, your closet, dresser, coat closet, etc. You can divide by category. But, you aren't supposed to sort them inside the closet. You should touch everything and ask if it sparks joy. If it does, you should keep. If not, you should thank it for its service and throw away. There are then specific ways to fold items to put them away. Shirts go vertically in a drawer. Skirts and dresses in the closet. Socks have feelings and don't like to balled up, so they get folded as well.

I just finished reading this chapter. I haven't done it yet, but I did fold DD's pants and put them in her drawer vertically. I'm not sure she would hang them up, so that probably won't work for her. She doesn't have enough drawers to put all her shirts in one.

jennilynn
02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
Here are some things I would like to discuss:

So, I've finished my clothes and papers and books. Next would be kimono items so I'm taking that to mean everything that's left except for personal notes and photos? I've gone through the kitchen, dining room, living room, and family room. I have another room we use as a school room and my craft things are in there. I've pulled about 1/2 to 2/3 of my craft items out to discard but still have several hours I need to spend in that room. I know she doesn't advocate going room by room, but at this point I'm trying to think through categories, so by finishing the school room I will have craft things and school things done. After the school room is done, I will have the kids' toys left and holiday decorations in our storage room. I moved all personal notes and photos to one place and will go through those when everything else is done.

While I *know* I have done a lot of sorting, I don't feel the total weight gone because the things I'm discarding are sitting in a pile waiting for the weather to warm up enough to garage sale. It's kind of making me crazy.

Also, I've decided I can't take on my kids things in their rooms - their clothing, their books, etc. So, I've encouraged them to go through their rooms and we change their closet out every season and I feel like that's the best it's going to be right now.

As I mentioned upthread, DH hasn't read the book so he doesn't understand my "ruthlessness" with this sorting. It frustrates him to see things we've spent money on going out of the house - things we may "someday" need or things that are still functional - knowing we won't get that money back when selling. She totally addresses that in the book and I agree with her. DH is like the mother in the book she warns us about, LOL. I've told him I feel suffocated by the excess and need to pare down. I'm going through a rough patch emotionally so controlling the things I own and paring them down is making me happy.

I would estimate I have three to four solid days of work to get through everything and be done. Sounds kind of daunting with three kids, homeschooling, etc but I am determined!

Yes kimono is next. I joined a Facebook group called Konmari Adventures and it has been helpful too. They have a list you can download of all the categories that is much more specific than the book. I'll try to post it later when I'm on my laptop .

jennilynn
02-25-2015, 09:57 PM

You'll have a much clearer picture of the process if you read the book first. Not to discourage you from jumping right in but you'll probably want to do it over after you read the book.

jennilynn
03-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Here's the list category list (sorry so long)

CLOTHING: (Adult and/or Child):

• Tops
• Bottoms
• Dresses
• Outerwear
• Socks
• Underwear
• Bags/Purses
• Accessories/Belts/Hats/Jewelry
• Gym/Swim/Costumes/Events
• Shoes

BOOKS:

• General (Pleasure reading)
• Cookbooks
• Phone Books
• Visual (Photo-type books)
• Magazines
• Reference Books (Dictionaries, etc.)
• Children’s Fiction
• Children’s School/Non-Fiction Books

PAPERS:

• Warranties/Manuals
• Pay Stubs
• Bills/Statements/Notices
• Insurance Documents
• Birth/Marriage Certificates
• Court Paperwork
• Taxes
• Notes from Lectures
• Loose Recipes
• Coupons
• Used Checkbooks
• Business Cards

• Greeting Cards
• Gift Wrap and Tissue
• Thank-You Notes

KOMONO:

Office/Craft:

• Spare Change
• Credit Cards
• Rewards Cards
• Envelopes
• Bubble Wrap
• Mailing Boxes
• Filing Cabinets
• Binders and planners
• Journals and Notebooks
• Notepads
• Hole Punches
• Calendars
• Clip Boards
• Folders/Page Covers
• Label Makers
• Shredders

• Staplers and Staples
• Rubber Bands
• Paper Clips
• Binder Clips
• Tacks
• Labels
• Pens
• Pencils/Lead
• Erasers/White-Out
• Markers
• Tape
• Stickers

• Music Players
• CDs
• Electronic Cords
• Empty Electronic Boxes
• Electronic Components
• Phone Accessories
• Spare Cords
• Computer Programs
• Computer Peripherals
• Email Subscriptions

• Misc. Craft Supplies
• Scrapbook Paper
• Yarn and Tools
• Fabric
• Thread
• Pins
• Scissors
• Buttons
• Felt
• Magnets
• Jewelry/Beading/Wire
• Embroidery
• Zippers
• Glues
• Kid’s craft supplies

• Kitchen:

• Paper Bags
• Plastic Bags
• Reusable Shopping Bags
• Zip Top/Fold top Bags
• Storage Containers
• Lids
• Disposable Dishes
• Paper Towels/Napkins

• House Plants
• Seeds/Cuttings

• Pots and Pans
• Cutting boards
• Casserole Dishes
• Steamer Baskets
• Mixing Bowls

• Baking pans/tins
• Baking Utensils
• Baking Accessories (candles, sprinkles)
• Racks

• Coffee Mugs
• Thermo Cups
• Glasses
• Stemware
• Water Bottles
• Plates and Bowls
• Serving Utensils
• Knives
• Silverware

• Cooking Utensils
• Small Appliances
• Canning Equipment
• Canning Jars/Lids/Rings

• Dish Towels
• Kitchen Rags
• Hot Pad Holders/Trivets
• Sponges/Scrubbers
• Cleaning Supplies
• Pest Control

Pantry:

• Spices
• Flours
• Additions (Gums/starches)
• Canned Products
• Boxed Products
• Whole Grains
• Candies
• Oils
• Wines/Liquors
• Condiments
• Vinegars
• Teas
• Coffees
• Sweeteners
• Beans
• Rice

Utility Room:

• Tools
• Screws and Fasteners
• Keys
• Extension Cords
• Locks
• Lighters
• Matches
• Tape
• Lightbulbs
• Batteries

Living Room:

• DVD Players
• DVDs/BluRays
• Video Games
• Video Game systems
• Board Games/Puzzles
• Collections
• Decorations/Knick-Knacks
• Empty Frames/Albums
• Candles/Holders

Children’s Room:

• Building Toys
• Dolls/Figures (dinosaurs, superheros)
• Reality toys (Kitchen Sets, Tool Benches)
• Weapons, Shields, Light Sabres
• Costumes/Makeup
• Balls/Marbles
• Vehicles (doll stroller/diecast cars)
• Models

• Musical Instruments
• Carriers (Slings, etc.)
• Bath Toys

Bathroom/Laundry Room:

• Bath Towels
• Hand Towels
• Washcloths
• Linens, blankets, pillows
• Laundry soaps
• Fabric Softeners
• Starches
• Baskets
• Irons/Ironing Boards
• Dyes

• First aid products
• Vitamins/Supplements
• Pain Relievers
• Medications

• Hair Products
• Hair Decor
• Hair pins/ties
• Hair Irons
• Hair Rollers
• Brushes/Combs/Picks
• Shower Caps

• Perfume
• Makeup
• Makeup Bags
• Makeup Brushes
• Feminine Products

• Air Fresheners
• Cleaning Supplies
• Cleaning Rags

• Nail Care (Pumice, files, etc.)
• Nail Polish
• Nail Polish Remover
• Nail Appliances (Dryers, etc.)
• Nail Clippers

• Trial or Sample Products
• Spray Bottles

• Razors and Blades
• Trimmers
• Tweezers
• Shaving Creams
• Lotions
• Liquid and Bar Soaps
• Skin care products
• Moisturizers

• Toothbrushes
• Tooth Paste
• Floss
• Mouthwash

• Hydrogen Peroxide
• Rubbing Alcohol
• Witch Hazel

Animals:

• Dishes
• Toys/Balls
• Collars/Leashes
• Kennels/Beds/Towers
• Treats/Food
• Bedding
• First Aid/Care
• Medication

Sentimental Items:

• Pictures and Albums
• Completed Scrapbooks
• Other

cilantromapuche
03-10-2015, 11:04 AM
That is a great list. Thanks for posting!

Kestrel
04-14-2015, 07:01 PM
-laughing-

Because of this thread, I went to my library's website to request it. I put "life-changing magic" into the search window.. and one (of 6) results I got was "What to expect when you're expecting". Well.... yes, life-changing magic, but that wasn't what I was looking for!

Looking forward to reading this!

94bruin
04-14-2015, 08:51 PM
-laughing-

Because of this thread, I went to my library's website to request it. I put "life-changing magic" into the search window.. and one (of 6) results I got was "What to expect when you're expecting". Well.... yes, life-changing magic, but that wasn't what I was looking for!

Looking forward to reading this!

That's too funny!

I *just* got my copy from the library. Been looking at YT videos and joined a FB group about it. Eager to read the book.

Cam&Clay
04-14-2015, 08:56 PM
This book has really changed my life...I know that sounds corny. But I am doing things differently even though I am nowhere near done. But I feel better getting ready, doing laundry, putting things away. Soooo much to do but I am actually looking forward to purging now rather than looking at it like a chore!

Globetrotter
04-17-2015, 01:28 AM
I read it and I agree that it's life changing! I had already been trying to only BUY things I love, but of course I still have all kinds of clutter from the past. After reading this, I feel I have a different mindset about what I need to have in the house and how to declutter. I will never go the extremes that she advocates, nor can I be that strict. However, I do realize that I spend a lot of time organizing things I don't even use!! What's the point of that? I think I needed to read this before tackling my next big decluttering as I'm down to things I chose to keep the first round!

I also LOVE her folding methods. I still hang half my clothes as I have space and it works for me, but things like sweaters, undergarments, socks and pjs are all rolled and placed in one layer within dividers or shallow boxes (for smaller items) - not stacked - and I can actually see what I own! I've been using things I had all but forgotten, and it's so easy to find matching socks now. Granted, I enjoy organizing already so this is kind of fun for me, to fold things her way :) It doesn't take any more time.

Some of her advice sounds a bit odd to me, but there are some cultural differences to consider. I love her enthusiasm about organizing - it was her hobby from the time she was five lol

Melaine
04-17-2015, 06:52 AM
I read it last week over spring break and, other than a few token phrases that spoke to me, I thought the book was really a letdown (considering all the positive reviews). The talking to objects was just too much for me, plus all of her OCD tendencies celebrated as a method. Shoeboxes as the best storage option? Getting rid of all paperwork? Crying because a shower basket rusted? Worrying about the comfort-level of the socks in the drawer? Promising purged items will reincarnate and return to bless us? Through the first half of the book, I wrote off some of it as cultural and hoped the second half of the book would contain more meat. Actually the second half became less and less applicable and more and more of a fictional account of the author's personal fantasies of organization. Specifically, I found the book didn't discuss families with children other than the three year old who turned her life around when given her own shelves...(or something like that). It seemed mostly geared to single hoarders or retired hoarders. I am still totally on board with major purging and agree with keeping items that give you joy but I just didn't find anything revolutionary in this book. I do need to look up the video on folding and I'm willing to try that.

rkold
04-21-2015, 10:29 PM
I bought this book and read it a few months ago. For me, I didn't really have a method to help me declutter and I am unfortunately a border line hoarder/collector. (I have a tendency to collect things and to try to save everything.) I like how she helps you to realize sometimes it is OK to let something go. I'm fascinated by Japanese culture (I've visited Japan before) and even though it is a little hokey, I find being able to thank something for serving its purpose really helps when you need to let it go. It helps when it is things I have spent money on but don't have the energy for any more.

I've also tried the changing how you fold clothing in your drawers thing. I've not yet gone through all my clothes to see what sparks joy (and to be fair if I had 3+ hefty sacks when I was done, I'd no longer have clothes!) just did a first pass, but I went from thinking I needed a second chest of drawers to now having a completely empty drawer in the chest I already own. I fit a small book case in my much emptier closet and things feel less cluttered.

We actually had a lot of our books scanned into pdfs a while ago, so most of the books we currently own are kids books. I have gone through a lot of my papers. I realized I really don't need to save every letter I've received or every single card.

It does feel really nice though to have less clutter and to have more space. I'm also using the book so that every thing from my parents house, whether I like it or not, doesn't automatically become an "heirloom" just because I remember it being in their house. I'm trying to only take things that spark joy in me or can be swapped/sold easily. >>;

zukeypur
04-23-2015, 05:38 PM
I have decluttered some, but i have a long ways to go. I am definitely not following her guide, but it has helped me a ton. I instead have been overcome with the "life-changing magic of building a chicken coop". Maybe i will have the strength to continue to declutter after i am full of eggs. ;)

rlu
05-12-2015, 03:20 PM
I read the book. I'm not into her folding but I do buy into the "spark joy" concept, especially for clothes and sentimental objects. I think her 3 or 4 page discussion on sentimental objects should be required reading for people going through transitions - going into high school, grad from high school, grad from college, moving out, etc.

a few quotes I found useful from that section "By handling each sentimental item and deciding what to discard, you process your past." "To put your things in order means to put your past in order, too. It’s like resetting your life and settling your accounts so that you can take the next step forward." "It is not our memories but the person we have become because of those past experiences that we should treasure. This is the lesson these keepsakes teach us when we sort them. The space in which we live should be for the person we are becoming now, not for the person we were in the past."

I don't see that last bit as meaning toss everything - after all, if it sparks joy, keep it - but a reminder to not let our past drag us down.

I found her book worth reading, rejected some of it, and adopted some of it. Now to get DH to buy in.

KrisM
05-12-2015, 04:41 PM
The clothes folding is working well for DD. She doesn't empty her drawers looking for a specific item any more. She has 3 dresser drawers and they are all organized now and stay neat. I am happy for that! Shirts are still in the closet.

Globetrotter
05-13-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm a fan of the folding and I want to get dd's closet in order using her method. The girl just throws clothes out of her beautiful Elfa drawers and doesn't care lol

She and I are so different. It would make me crazy. She said it's hard to find things so she has to go through piles of shirts to find the one she wants, and in the process things get tossed around. I think the rolling method will help in that regard as she will be able to see everything at once, and she was willing to give it a shot. I've already started folding her clothes this way but we haven't set up her drawers yet.

This book has been so useful for me as I'm trying to go through another decluttering. Sure, I do feel it's excessive, so I will ignore a lot of it and take what I want from her philosophy.

My main takeaways (other than the folding technique, which I love!):

- Don't keep something just because someone gave it to you. It's the thought and love that went into the gifting that counts, and that is the gift. It's okay to give it away if you don't like it. This has been freeing.
- No point organizing stuff you never use. I have boxes and boxes of stuff that I keep organizing (having purchased fancy systems to keep them in order) but I don't even use them. I can get rid of half my study closet based on this. In fact, I have entire drawers of stuff that I don't touch, and I hardly remember what's inside, yet I've reorganized them a few times. I think if I actually get rid of this stuff, I will have space for everything!
- If it doesn't bring you joy, don't keep it. Now I would add to this - if it doesn't serve a useful purpose, don't keep it. I can't toss out everything I actually use just because I didn't find this philosophy years ago :) HOWEVER, now when I buy something I really do think about this a lot. I'd been doing this for a few years already, especially IRT clothes, but now I've taken it to new level. Example: I'm redecorating and I found some curtains that I liked okay and they would work but they just didn't bring me "joy" when I put up the sample on the window, so I kept looking and quickly found some I absolutely love and they work well. I didn't settle for the other ones, and now I'm glad because I keep things forever and these curtains will be up for years to come. My eventual goal is to be surrounded only by things I love.
- For objects that once served a purpose but are no longer useful, be thankful for their role in your life and pass them on. I take photos of sentimental objects, and then I can let them go. This is the hardest one for me and I'm guessing it's tough for most people.
- Don't keep all those spare buttons and junk. I have NEVER - okay, maybe once - found and used a spare button, but I have two boxes full of them.
- Toss packaging and assembly instructions after you make sure something works. Same goes for most manuals. You can find almost anything online nowadays. I don't agree with her bare bones paperwork philosophy, but I do think I could purge quite a bit.

jerseygirl07067
10-27-2015, 01:38 AM
Reviving this thread! I just got my book from my library last week after being on the wait list for several months for it. :) So of course I came here and sure enough, many have read it or were waiting for it. I was wondering if those who have read it have progressed further or have completed the "discarding" process.

I am definitely a minimalist and really enjoy purging. It really helps me feel lighter and calmer, and there is nothing more satisfying than bringing a bunch of bags to Goodwill!! I didn't really become this way until after my 2nd DD, but it helps keep me a bit sane!!! I go through what I call purging several phases every few years or so and would like to pare down more. After my last purge several months ago I felt like I really couldn't purge any more, but after reading the book there are more things I believe I can easily let go of now. I have boxes of letters from old boyfriends, another box of letters I wrote to friends during my first year of college, and all kinds of mementos, some which really don't bring my joy at all, and definitely clothes that don't spark joy that I never wear. So over the next few weeks I am going to start the "discarding" process. My only frustration is that there are 4 other people in my house who all want to hold on to everything, so that will be a bit of a challenge. But I will start with my own stuff first and go from there!

I know she doesn't advocate for throwing out kids' things without their involvement, since it can cause trust issues, but I can honestly say that last year I threw out 5 large kitchen bags full of stuff from my oldest DDs room and she hasn't missed a single thing.

So let's talk about the book more, shall we?

Melaine
10-27-2015, 06:19 AM
Yesterday I totally re-folded all the clothing in dear son's drawers using what I think is her method. I was amazed. Amazed! I was adding a lot of clothes to drawers that were already stuffed but it worked so well.

Globetrotter
10-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Melaine, I had the same experience with ds's closet and, guess what, the resistant dd I spoke of earlier is now a convert! There was tons of eye rolling, but then I showed her how to fold them and stack vertically, and the girl with the sarcastic comebacks said she likes it this way! Now the former slob has started folding things Kondo style ON HER OWN lol This is a miracle, or maybe the dormant organizing genes are coming out.

Now we can actually see everything when we open the drawers. I also used my favorite Multipurpose bins (container store) to store other items that were once horizontally stacked on a closet shelf. Things also tend to stay neater this way.

jerseygirl07067, I had posted another thread on this, and I think others have, too. It's one of my favorite topics, of late :rotflmao:

I wouldn't involve younger kids too much, or dh for that matter. He's worse than the kids! I found a bag of old white Indian men's garments that were twice his size. He wanted to keep them and WEAR them, insisting that his sister had given them to him and oh how he longed for the traditional garb, vs. the more modern, colorful ones I buy. Turns out this was a bag of hand me downs i had taken from a friend to give to an organization that donates them to Pakistan! I had forgotten all about it. So yes, dh is no longer in the loop for most things, except stuff that I know fits him :)

pastrygirl
10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
My 9yo LOVES the Konmari fold, but I haven't been able to get anyone to consistently help out... so only their pants and PJ's get folded that way. I'm back to hanging their shirts (which my son can do himself).

I still Konmari fold all of my things except most shirts/sweaters and all bottoms. It's been several months! I sometimes hate folding all my underwear, but it really makes for a more organized drawer with TONS more space. I fold all my PJs and workout clothes, and even my socks! I ended up with at least two big drawers empty.

The best part was folding all my winter stuff late last spring -- most of it fit into two 12x12 fabric bins! It used to take up two big plastic storage bins. Bulky sweaters, all my heavier pants and leggings, etc. It all fit.