PDA

View Full Version : New purse - enable me or discourage me

mikeys_mom
02-15-2015, 07:31 AM
I have had this Roots purse for 8 years.
http://canada.roots.com/VillageBaginClassicPrinceLeather/RootsOriginalFlatBags//18018982,default,pd.html?selectedColor=001&cgid=leatherFlatBags&start=11&q=#start=11

It is awesome and meets my needs 100% perfectly. Every time I look at getting a new purse, I just think it will never work out because it's not the same as this one. The leather still looks great despite all the usage it's had. I'm not a big purse-person. I really just need something decent looking and functional that isn't too bulky or heavy.

Here is the problem, the clasp that connects the purse to the strap broke. At the moment I have a piece of elastic fabric securing the purse but it looks a bit crazy. I can see that the other clasp is wearing away and will crack soon. Roots will repair it for free (I've had them do it once before) but you need to take it to a Roots store and it can take a few weeks to a month until you get it back. I'm living overseas but DH commutes back and forth. I can send it with him on his next trip to be repaired but then I will be without a purse for close to 2 months just due to timing of the repair and his trips.

I just found this purse on the Roots website.
http://canada.roots.com/womens-leather-purse-handbags%5Cvillage-bag-prince/18011609,default,pd.html?selectedColor=W64&cgid=leatherFlatBags&start=1&q=#start=1

I really, love it! Love the colour and the fact that they style is exactly the same as my other one so I know it will work for me. It's a bit pricey but seeing as I haven't bought a purse in 8 years and I likely won't buy another for at least that length of time, I can't stop thinking that I should just order it and have DH bring it back. I figure I can then alternate the 2 purses once the black one is repaired.

Am I crazy to buy another exactly the same when I don't really need it?
Should I just buy a cheapie replacement here to get me through the 2 months I will be without? Although the truth is, I likely won't find something of that quality here and will have to spend only slightly less to get that.

jgenie
02-15-2015, 08:11 AM
I don't see a problem with having the exact purse in two different colors. I think that price for eight years of use is not bad. If the price of the purse bothers you, Roots has sales up to 30% off from time to time for their email subscribers. You could continue using the black purse and order the new one during the next sale.

Staraglimmer
02-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I would buy the replacement and fix your old one. That way you always have a back up. I would definitely get a different color than the purse you already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zukeypur
02-15-2015, 10:58 AM
I think that's a great idea. You aready know you love it, so why change? Surely there are times when you might prefer a lighter bag, and having a backup is a great idea.

MamaMolly
02-15-2015, 03:11 PM
I absolutely agree that you should get the new one, and enjoy it! It is not frivilous at all. $168, divided up by 8 years makes it about $21 per year, and it will only get cheaper the longer you own it. Pretty good deal IMO. Plus a company who stands behind their product. PLUS you would probably spend about $20 on a cheap bag which will likely annoy you by not being what you want and it will look like crap after one year.

Investing in quality is a money saver.

hellokitty
02-15-2015, 03:28 PM
The fact that you loved and used the previous one so much, is only more reason to get a second one in a different color. My hesitation sometimes with purses is that while I may love the way it looks, when I start to use it, it may not exactly fit my needs correctly. So, in my book, if you love the style and functionality of your current bag already, you actually have evidence that this isn't a frivolous purchase, that you will actually USE this bag and it works. Of course, I am also someone who will buy the same shoes and clothes in different colors or patterns, if I really like it. It just makes sense to me.

mattiew
02-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Buy it! You will then have a spring/summer bag and a fall winter bag (or backup as needed).
8 years of use AND free repair AND at that price point - great quality and amazing price per wear!

"Should I just buy a cheapie replacement here to get me through the 2 months I will be without? Although the truth is, I likely won't find something of that quality here and will have to spend only slightly less to get that."
- Buy the bag and think of it as an investment instead of one that is temporary and disposable.

mikeys_mom
02-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks for all the enabling. :)
Ordered it. Now I just hope it arrives in time before DH's flight back, otherwise I need to wait a month until his next trip.

mattiew
02-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the enabling. :)
Ordered it.

Hooray - enjoy!!