PDA

View Full Version : Interview outfit questions

RedSuedeShoes
02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Well, after submitting resumes/applications for a while, I got called for an interview Monday morning. We played phone tag a bit, and ended up doing an interview on the phone (in my pajamas!). I thought we were just trying to schedule an interview time, so that caught me off guard but I apparently did really well. She (the actual team manager, not an HR person) seemed very enthusiastic that it might be a good fit - maybe I should always interview in my pajamas? Anyway, the next step is to interview with the whole team of potential co-workers, who will actually choose their new team member. She is hoping they will be ready for interviews in the next week or so, but I was the first phone interview she had done so she wasn't ready to schedule yet.

I have several directions I want to go with prep [research their org., relevant professional reading, remember and rehearse anecdotes that illustrate how wonderful I am :) (they do selective interviewing, she said)], but first I want to get my outfit ready to go. I went to BR factory store Monday night to get the suit jacket to match my pants I bought for a previous interview (but didn't end up using or even having hemmed). I have a lot to do, and of course DS (who's 5) and I both immediately got sick so I'm freaked out that I haven't gotten more done yet, but trying to focus on what I can do and make a plan for as soon as he's back in school.

Here are my questions thus far:
1) Get shoes before having pants hemmed, right? Are flats OK? I have very hard to fit feet (wide toebox, narrow heels) and never ever wear heels
2) If you're between sizes in jackets, which is better - a bit too small or a bit too big? I bought both the 2P and the 0P at BR the other night & will return the one I don't use. The 2P is a bit too big in the shoulders, front darts and sleeves are definitely too long (can a dry cleaner hem those? they have lining and buttons near the hem). The 0P is a bit tricky to get on and I can't fit much more than a silk sleeveless shirt underneath. It also looks a tad snug when buttoned, and the sleeves are still plenty long but I think I could get by with it.
3) Any suggestions of where to go for a shirt to wear underneath the jacket? I remember BR having great options for little sleeveless silk shirts with a bit of color, but this time they only had off-white and a few random weird things that didn't work for me.
4) What kind of purse? My everyday purse is super casual (Baggallini). When I interviewed last year, I didn't use a purse but crammed my keys and phone into my little portfolio thing I carried with me. But that didn't work all that well, and kind of stressed me out at the last minute (made me feel not very put-together). But I'm thinking you wouldn't want a shoulder strap since you don't know what type chair you will be in and don't want to have it slipping off the back, etc. So, something small to hold phone and keys that I can put on the table or chair next to me? Any specific recs? Ordering online would be perfect for this.

Thanks for any help!

Kindra178
02-18-2015, 01:43 PM
Here are my questions thus far:
1) Get shoes before having pants hemmed, right? Are flats OK? I have very hard to fit feet (wide toebox, narrow heels) and never ever wear heels

I wouldn't wear flats to interview. I have a similar foot as you describe. Based on Golden Pig's recs, I have fallen in love with Clarks. They fit so well. CH are ok too. Try a Clarks wedge (Purity Crystal, Basset Mine (I have these in two colors and love them). Also, what's the weather like where you are?

2) If you're between sizes in jackets, which is better - a bit too small or a bit too big? I bought both the 2P and the 0P at BR the other night & will return the one I don't use. The 2P is a bit too big in the shoulders, front darts and sleeves are definitely too long (can a dry cleaner hem those? they have lining and buttons near the hem). The 0P is a bit tricky to get on and I can't fit much more than a silk sleeveless shirt underneath. It also looks a tad snug when buttoned, and the sleeves are still plenty long but I think I could get by with it.

I would not do tight but try to get the sleeves tailored a bit.

3) Any suggestions of where to go for a shirt to wear underneath the jacket? I remember BR having great options for little sleeveless silk shirts with a bit of color, but this time they only had off-white and a few random weird things that didn't work for me.

BR and AT are very easy, wearable choices for this kind of thing. Check out both.

4) What kind of purse? My everyday purse is super casual (Baggallini). When I interviewed last year, I didn't use a purse but crammed my keys and phone into my little portfolio thing I carried with me. But that didn't work all that well, and kind of stressed me out at the last minute (made me feel not very put-together). But I'm thinking you wouldn't want a shoulder strap since you don't know what type chair you will be in and don't want to have it slipping off the back, etc. So, something small to hold phone and keys that I can put on the table or chair next to me? Any specific recs? Ordering online would be perfect for this.

If you are going to BR anyway, buy a plain leather tote (Larkin, Ashbury, Commuter). You can stick your wallet, keys and phone in it plus extra resumes, etc. and you will be professional and put together.

Thanks for any help!

Get shoes before having pants hemmed, right? Are flats OK? I have very hard to fit feet (wide toebox, narrow heels) and never ever wear heels

I wouldn't wear flats to interview. I have a similar foot as you describe. Based on Golden Pig's recs, I have fallen in love with Clarks. They fit so well. CH are ok too. Try a Clarks wedge (Purity Crystal, Basset Mine (I have these in two colors and love them). Also, what's the weather like where you are? Keep that in mind when picking shoes.

) If you're between sizes in jackets, which is better - a bit too small or a bit too big? I bought both the 2P and the 0P at BR the other night & will return the one I don't use. The 2P is a bit too big in the shoulders, front darts and sleeves are definitely too long (can a dry cleaner hem those? they have lining and buttons near the hem). The 0P is a bit tricky to get on and I can't fit much more than a silk sleeveless shirt underneath. It also looks a tad snug when buttoned, and the sleeves are still plenty long but I think I could get by with it.

I would not do tight but try to get the sleeves tailored a bit.

BR and AT are very easy, wearable choices for this kind of thing. Check out both.

If you are going to BR anyway, buy a plain leather tote (Larkin, Ashbury, Commuter). Cole Haan, Fossil or Kate Spade will also have a ton of choices. You can stick your wallet, keys and phone in it plus extra resumes, etc. and you will be professional and put together.

RedSuedeShoes
02-20-2015, 03:39 PM
So, I would put resumes in a folder inside the tote to keep them flat, right? And then I'd put the tote either on the floor or a chair next to me? I've always just used a portfolio thing to take extra resumes to an interview.

I think you're right about using the 2P jacket rather than the 0P. My son is finally back to school today. Heading out now to look for shoes (a low heel, maybe) so I can get the suit hemmed over the weekend or Monday.

Thank you for the feedback!

Kindra178
02-20-2015, 04:50 PM
That's right. Put the portfolio in the tote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk