PDA

View Full Version : pulling eyelashes

Percycat
02-27-2015, 11:49 AM
We need some help. My daughter has been pulling eyelashes for far too long. It started with her pulling eyebrows until she had no eyebrows. She was somehow able to stop this habit, but now she has no eyelashes.

We noticed the eyebrow problem last spring and encouraged her to stop the habit over the summer. Then we noticed the eyelash problem. I contacted the school counselor when school began in the fall and she met with DD. DD was given a journal to write down when she noticed she was pulling eyelashes and a squishy toy to provide an alternate activity. We have also discussed this with the pediatrician when we had to take her in for two sick visits -- one being pink eye.

I thought about buying glasses for her to wear, but have noticed that she is pulling eyelashes when she is in bed (she may also be pulling them during the day) and she wouldn't be wearing glasses at night. I read about putting something like vasoline on the eyelids, but that just seems inappropriate.

We thought it might be related to ADD medicine (especially since my DS started pulling out hair when medication switched and significantly stopped when we stopped using the new medicine), so we have taken her off the medicine. She seems to be doing okay in school without the medicine, but she is still pulling eyelashes.

DD was also a long-time thumb sucker. She did not quit until 2nd grade when we started interviewing orthodontists. I think repeatedly hearing how she needed to stop sucking her thumb and learning what doctors would do to help break the habit had an impact. One doctor gave us a bottle of Mavala -- DD read the bottle instructions/literature and was committed to quitting. I fear that something like this will be necessaray for DD to become committed to quittting.

What can we do? Where do we go for help? Has anyone dealt with this before? What did you do to help your child end the habbit.

BunnyBee
02-27-2015, 12:14 PM
I would take her back to the psychiatrist who prescribed the ADD meds. Trichotillomania is a compulsive disorder. The psychiatrist will help you balance meds and therapy to resolve it.

Green_Tea
02-27-2015, 12:26 PM
I would take her back to the psychiatrist who prescribed the ADD meds. Trichotillomania is a compulsive disorder. The psychiatrist will help you balance meds and therapy to resolve it.

I agree. It's a compulsion, not something you can talk her out of.

egoldber
02-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Yes, it's a type of OCD behavior. Some ADHD meds definitely aggravate these kinds of tics/compulsions.

My younger DD has developed some tics and switching to a different ADHD medication has definitely helped. We've also started her seeing a therapist to help control the issue.

vludmilla
02-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Habit reversal therapy (a form of cognitive behavioral therapy) is very helpful for many people with trich and tics. A psychologist who specializes in CBT would be able to help.

lil_acorn
02-27-2015, 01:08 PM
agree to all of the above and here's the link to help you as well:
http://www.trich.org/

Also you could try a fidget toy to help keep her hands busy.

Indianamom2
02-27-2015, 01:10 PM
I agree. It's a compulsion, not something you can talk her out of.

Yes, it's a type of OCD behavior. Some ADHD meds definitely aggravate these kinds of tics/compulsions.

My younger DD has developed some tics and switching to a different ADHD medication has definitely helped. We've also started her seeing a therapist to help control the issue.

I agree with everyone else. It's definitely a compulsion and she may want to quit, but not even realize that she can't really help it. DD started picking at her nails compulsively on the last ADHD med she took. We noticed a huge issue, so we stopped that med and it did get better.

HannaAddict
02-27-2015, 02:26 PM
It is not just a habit and she can't stop on her own. Definitely see her doctor or psych about this. Poor girl. A relative had gone through this and they have seen a psych who was able to help.

StantonHyde
02-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Trichtotillomania is a form of OCD. It often starts in response to stress, becomes a habit, and then resurfaces in times of stress. DS has been dealing with it for a good 5 years now.
1. Check on the ADHD med with the prescriber--obviously if that's a major trigger, you want to change it.
2. Make an appointment with a child psychologist who can do CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) with your child--and will work with you to help support her.
3. Buy the book "Freeing Your Child from Anxiety". It has concrete, helpful ideas on how to address pulling, e.g. for eyelashes--have your child wear a sleeping make at night, have her wear cotton gloves on her hands when she isn't in school/she is at home--you want to block access to her pulling.
4. Buy the workbook "What to Do When Bad Habits Take Hold". You work on this with your child to help them develop a plan to curb/switch pulling behaviors.
5. Buy a bunch of fidget toys--stress balls, silly putty, etc.

Good luck. Expect it to get better with treatment but, at least for DS, it has not gone away. I pops up for different stressors. I have him see the psychologist once a month during school so they can process issues and it doesn't add up too much for him. (in the beginning, we saw the psychologist weekly or every other week) You will both learn when the stressors are and to be prepared for them. I still have to remind DS about it. But it is MUCH better!

megs4413
02-27-2015, 05:50 PM

this. my oldest had this problem.

Globetrotter
02-28-2015, 02:42 PM
In addition to pp recommendations, I also recommend The Hair Pulling Habit And You workbook for kids.

Percycat
03-02-2015, 02:33 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My DH is taking the kids to the psychiatrist today and will discuss this with the doctor. Right now, she is not on medicine because we had her stop taking them out of concern. I am afraid that the medicine may have been a part of the cause, but now the behavior is a habit. I have ordered the book - thank you for the recommendation Globetrotter.
Thank you StantonHyde for all of the specific suggestions. I have requested your recommended books from the library.

How do I find a psychologist who specializes in CBT?

lil_acorn
03-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. My DH is taking the kids to the psychiatrist today and will discuss this with the doctor. Right now, she is not on medicine because we had her stop taking them out of concern. I am afraid that the medicine may have been a part of the cause, but now the behavior is a habit. I have ordered the book - thank you for the recommendation Globetrotter.
Thank you StantonHyde for all of the specific suggestions. I have requested your recommended books from the library.

How do I find a psychologist who specializes in CBT?

If you go to http://trich.org/treatment/treatment-provider.html
you can find a list.

Percycat
03-02-2015, 12:49 PM
If you go to http://trich.org/treatment/treatment-provider.html
you can find a list.

Thank you! There are three doctors/counselors in our metropolitan area.