PDA

View Full Version : Augmentin: Ride it out or ask for a new antibiotic?

MSWR0319
02-27-2015, 08:28 PM
DS has a sinus infection. When the dr said he was going to give us it, I felt like there was something I should remember about it. I asked if it was the one that tasted bad, and he responded with "You'd better get it flavored", so I assumed that's what I was supposed to be remembering. Fast forward to day 3. DS has been nothing short of a HOT MESS. Crying over everything, running around screaming at the top of his lungs that his brother was going to hurt him, kicking, etc. Seriously, you'd think he had lost his mind. Now I remember what I was supposed to remember. DS reacts horribly to this drug. From my recollection, day 3 is when it always starts. He hasn't need one in so long, that I forgot about the issue. Can I call and ask for a different one or is it not a good idea to switch in the middle of antibiotics? Would you just ride it out? I am going to ask that it be put in his chart to never give this to him again. It's horrible!

SnuggleBuggles
02-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I'd definitely call and talk it over now.

lalasmama
02-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Call! Altered mental status is a completely reasonable reason to ask for a new antibiotic!

Tondi G
02-27-2015, 08:35 PM
There is no harm in calling and speaking with the doctor about the situation. I have a feeling they would be fine switching to a different antibiotic.

Augmentin is awful for me too. From the first dose I get a terrible metallic taste in my mouth and feel queezy for the next 10 days! Maybe your DS would do better on Omnicef? My DS2 gets ear infections and we've found that he responds well to Omnicef.

pinkmomagain
02-27-2015, 08:47 PM
I would totally call to switch it.

BananaMama
02-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Call for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana
02-28-2015, 01:45 AM
Call, and also ask to have a note added to his medical file that he reacts badly to this drug. They should have a record of it so they can avoid prescribing it in the future.

Kestrel
02-28-2015, 03:34 PM
** have the info added to the pharmacy record, as well. Having a back-up is good. That way, if you switch Dr or go to urgent care, the pharmacy will catch it.

Momit
02-28-2015, 05:59 PM
My DS is the same way on augmentin. Unfortunately it clears up his sinus infections better than anything else. Would you mind updating with what you got instead? I'd love to know of a good alternative.

MSWR0319
02-28-2015, 10:17 PM
** have the info added to the pharmacy record, as well. Having a back-up is good. That way, if you switch Dr or go to urgent care, the pharmacy will catch it.

Great idea! I hadn't thought about letting the pharmacy know!

My DS is the same way on augmentin. Unfortunately it clears up his sinus infections better than anything else. Would you mind updating with what you got instead? I'd love to know of a good alternative.

So do you usually just ride it out? We always have in the past but he just seemed so out of control this time. DH missed the call back from the dr this morning, so I'm not sure it's worth a switch at this point. We'll be on Day 5 (so half way through). I will call in the morning, as they have sick hours though and see what they say. It seems to be working well for his sinus infection and I know it's one of the only ones that clears mine. I'll let you know if we get something else!