PDA

View Full Version : Fruit/veggie smoothie recipes

khalloc
03-02-2015, 11:43 AM
I ordered a Vitimix the other day and its supposed to come tomorrow. Please hit me with your best smoothie recipes!

It would be easier for me to use frozen fruit (Sounds like Costco has some good options?)

I'd like easy recipes that my kids will love too. They do like most fruits (apples, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes) and they eat a variety of veggies (broccoli, asparagus, green salad mixes). I'd be into a good green smoothie recipe but it has to taste good for the kids!

I got the Vitamix that has some programs. I think it was the 6300 version. I cant wait to try it out tomorrow!

What else do you use your blender for?

JBaxter
03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
one of my kids faves is canned pumpkin, vanilla yogurt and applesauce sometimes a banana. I toss a hand full of frozen or fresh spinach in just for good measure and a dash of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Other than that I dont use recipes I just put in what we have.

ECUPirateMom
03-02-2015, 12:26 PM
2 handfuls spinach
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup diced cucumber
1 banana
1 apple (cored and quartered)
1 cup frozen strawberries
2 tbsp milled flaxseed
This is the basic green smoothie that I make daily. I change up the fruits and will use kale or other greens instead of spinach :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MMMommy
03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Our family drinks a veggie-fruit smoothie daily in the mornings for breakfast. My kids are not fans of having to drink it, but it is non-negotiable. It is much more palatable to them when I use either orange juice or strawberry kefir as a liquid base. I use part orange juice or strawberry kefir, water, lots of mixed green veggies, carrots, frozen fruit and a few tablespoons of flax. I think the smoothies taste good, but the fact that my kids "have" to drink it makes it a burden to them after a while.

--Costco is definitely my favorite place to buy frozen, organic fruit. Big bags and much cheaper. Their frozen organic fruit tends to be seasonal. I notice that the frozen organic fruit will pop up shortly after the season for the fresh fruit has just ended. My favorites to buy are frozen, organic mango and strawberries. Organic blueberries and organic mixed berries tend to be available year round. The organic, mixed fruit (strawberry, mango and peach mix) is seasonal, and the organic mango is seasonal too. Non-organic frozen pineapple, mixed berries, and strawberries can be found regularly at Costco (from my experience).

--Costco for organic, mixed greens and baby carrots. The mix is kale, spinach and chard. Big bag and very convenient for smoothies. Costco also for big bag of organic baby carrots.

--My fav frozen, organic fruit for smoothies are strawberries, mango, pineapple, and blueberries.

cvanbrunt
03-02-2015, 03:36 PM
3/4-1 cup mango
1/2 an orange
1/2 of a 1 inch thick slice of pineapple or a couple handfuls of frozen pineapple chunks
thin slice of lime or a squirt of juice
squirt of agave
couple big handfuls of greens, I prefer spinach and/or kale
1 cup or so of coconut milk

I have one of these as breakfast or lunch every day. I like two of the fruits to be frozen and then it is cold enough without ice. You just kind of tweak the amounts until you like it.

JBaxter
03-02-2015, 03:41 PM
we use the powdered peanutbutter in ours also. peanut butter powder banana banana nutella and yogurt w/ a little milk is super yummy

elizamom
03-02-2015, 04:12 PM
My go-to smoothie blend is
Spinach or kale
Frozen strawberries or raspberries
Carrots
Banana
Avocado

My liquid is almost always water. I dont have any one store that I buy my frozen fruit or other ingredients from. I try to watch for frozen fruit sales at various stores and stock up then.

twotimesblue
03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
My boys will drink gallons of the following! It's really delicious; the pineapple 'disguises' the taste of the greens nicely, and the yogurt gives it a lovely, creamy texture. Always organic greens as conventional ones are laden with pesticides:

Big handful of organic spinach
Big handful of organic kale
1-2 cups organic plain Greek Yogurt (whole milk)
1 banana
1-1.5 cups Frozen pineapple
3 small scoops of chia seeds
Splash of organic carrot juice
Splash of orange/tangerine juice