PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me dress for an April trip to NYC?

BDKmom
03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
I will be going to NYC for a long girls' weekend mid-April. I have read online that the average temps for the time we will be there is low to mid 60s for highs and mid 40s for lows. Can someone help me translate that to an April wardrobe? I live in Atlanta, so we are usually mid to upper 70s or even 80s by then, and everyone is in capris and dresses and cute sandals here by April. Will NYC folks still be in boots and sweaters? Or layers? What tends to work for that time of year for those of you in the northeast?

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Not in NYC but similar weather- my boots go away by then. It can be 30 and I'll resist putting them on. Others still wear them though. I am wiling to suffer with colder feet though. Booties would be fine. I'd probably wear them and cute flats and sneakers though. The crappy part is if it is rainy then you'll likely want rain boots on hand since you'll probably be doing enough outside walking. Layers will be your friend. I'd probably pack: a trench coat, cardigans, long and short sleeved tops (based on the weather forecast), jeans/ cute pants. Maybe a fleece if you don't mind going for that look. Those temps would probably have me on the fence about skirts and dresses, as much as I love them! You either go bare legged and slightly chilled or tights and booties or flats, in my world. :) Me and my anti boot policy makes the transitional spring weather harder than it needs to be. :)

BDKmom
03-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Not in NYC but similar weather- my boots go away by then. It can be 30 and I'll resist putting them on. Others still wear them though. I am wiling to suffer with colder feet though. Booties would be fine. I'd probably wear them and cute flats and sneakers though. The crappy part is if it is rainy then you'll likely want rain boots on hand since you'll probably be doing enough outside walking. Layers will be your friend. I'd probably pack: a trench coat, cardigans, long and short sleeved tops (based on the weather forecast), jeans/ cute pants. Maybe a fleece if you don't mind going for that look. Those temps would probably have me on the fence about skirts and dresses, as much as I love them! You either go bare legged and slightly chilled or tights and booties or flats, in my world. :) Me and my anti boot policy makes the transitional spring weather harder than it needs to be. :)

I'm kinda with ya on the boots, which is what is making this so hard. By April, I'm just sick of boots. But I can't find any booties that I like, either. Thanks for the sneaker mention...I've been meaning to get a pair of non-athletic cute sneakers. This will be just the excuse I need. So I can go with layers, jeans, and cute sneakers for daytime. Now to work on night...

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm kinda with ya on the boots, which is what is making this so hard. By April, I'm just sick of boots. But I can't find any booties that I like, either. Thanks for the sneaker mention...I've been meaning to get a pair of non-athletic cute sneakers. This will be just the excuse I need. So I can go with layers, jeans, and cute sneakers for daytime. Now to work on night...

Boots are a pain to pack too. :) I think that's another reason I'd look for alternatives. Have fun with night on the town clothes! I;d probably do dark jeans, heels and a nice shirt with fun accessories.

LD92599
03-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Mid-April can go either way - snow or 70's! Watch the weather closely before you leave and then plan. Right now we're having a crazy cold and snowy winter so there's no way to know what to expect in a month. Have fun though!!!!! I'm planning a girls day in the city for the end of April to celebrate milestone birthdays for all of us!

pastrygirl
03-03-2015, 11:13 AM
I'm not in NYC anymore, but I definitely didn't wear boots in April when I lived there. (Now in New England, I still don't! I'm already sick of them, but have to keep wearing them this month. In April, I draw the line.)

The rain is more of an issue, because I don't want to ruin nicer shoes. I bought some water-repellent non-athletic sneaker-type shoes that I plan to wear this spring. I do have several pairs of booties that I couldn't make work in winter weather, but I'm hoping they'll work by April when I can roll my jeans up a bit.

I also found some awesome liners to wear with flats -- they're the Hue brand, I think they said they were cotton or a cotton blend. A little more substantial than pantyhose (they have a pantyhose fabric version, too, but not as warm!). They kept my feet surprisingly warm in the late fall/early winter. I found them at Nordstrom Rack. I'm planning to transition to those as soon as the ice, snow, and slush are gone! I would very likely be able to wear those in NYC in April and not be freezing.

Layers! I imagine you'll find it chilly there. For nights in colder weather, I like to wear very dark jeans and whatever tops/layers are fitting for the occasion. I'm not ready for skirts/dresses yet.

BDKmom
03-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to doing some shopping soon. Anyone have booties that they love? I really like the look, but can't seem to find anything that I can make work for me.

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the input. Looking forward to doing some shopping soon. Anyone have booties that they love? I really like the look, but can't seem to find anything that I can make work for me.
what kind of heel height do you want?

BDKmom
03-04-2015, 05:09 PM
what kind of heel height do you want?

Hmm...maybe 2 inch max? Low-to-mid heel height. I would like to have them for this trip, but also have them be practical for everyday running around.