PDA

View Full Version : help / ideas re: sister and hip pain late in pregnancy

lmh2402
03-03-2015, 11:33 AM
my little sister is in her 38th week

to date she's had an uneventful pregnancy

last week she started of complaining of a pain that wrapped from the groin area all the way around her hip

she says it hurts while sitting, but is bearable. but by the end of the day with walking, she's in a lot of pain

she lives in the city and is still working, so she's been walking to and from the subway, up and down the steps, walking around the office, etc

she had a doc appt yesterday and the OB told her that it's definitely not anything to do with SPD because the pain is all one-sided.

however today she woke up in such pain that she literally cannot walk. she stayed home from work and her DH is coming home early to take her to an acupuncture appt she made for this evening

does anyone have any ideas of what the issue could be and what she might want to try doing, other than acupuncture

i feel so badly for her. my sister is not a complainer, so for her to stay home and in bed means the pain is truly really bad.

brittone2
03-03-2015, 11:55 AM
She could see a women's health PT who handles pregnancy and post partum issues. http://www.womenshealthapta.org/pt-locator/

It isn't like the OB dida thorough eval to figure out what she's dealing with, so I wouldn't put much stock in his/her opinion in terms of what it could be. Your pelvis has two halves basically; one side can rotate on the other as ligaments are lax in pregnancy. She could have something like sacroiliac joint issues and have it be primarily one sided, but she needs a thorough eval with someone who handles pregnancy and post partum issues. They may be able to get her some relief, or at least help reduce her pain a bit. Sometimes just being careful about movements, avoiding certain positions for sleeping, getting dressed, etc. that late can be helpful even if she's so far along that there isn't much relief to be had. She may or may not benefit from a support belt depending on what she's dealing with. But I would go to a women's health PT if they can get her in and see if she can get an eval. It is hard this late in the game, but it may be worth a try.

lmh2402
03-03-2015, 11:56 AM
She could see a women's health PT who handles pregnancy and post partum issues. http://www.womenshealthapta.org/pt-locator/

It isn't like the OB dida thorough eval to figure out what she's dealing with, so I wouldn't put much stock in his/her opinion in terms of what it could be. Your pelvis has two halves basically; one side can rotate on the other as ligaments are lax in pregnancy. She could have something like sacroiliac joint issues and have it be primarily one sided, but she needs a thorough eval with someone who handles pregnancy and post partum issues. They may be able to get her some relief, or at least help reduce her pain a bit. Sometimes just being careful about movements, avoiding certain positions for sleeping, getting dressed, etc. that late can be helpful even if she's so far along that there isn't much relief to be had. She may or may not benefit from a support belt depending on what she's dealing with. But I would go to a women's health PT if they can get her in and see if she can get an eval. It is hard this late in the game, but it may be worth a try.

thanks, Beth. :kisscheek:

ahisma
03-03-2015, 12:24 PM
I went to a chiro trained in pregnancy related issues for a similar problem. She did WONDERS.

rlu
03-03-2015, 01:30 PM

This, BTDT. I had pain on one side, wore a brace, and did PT weekly (with helpful massage after). She really should see someone to help, I had the pain after as well so she shouldn't assume it will go away with birth.

trentsmom
03-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Could it be round ligament pain (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-blog/round-ligament-pain/bgp-20111536)? I had that, and I don't remember doing much for it other than keeping track of how much I exerted myself. If I overdid it, I paid for it later.

TwinFoxes
03-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Could it be round ligament pain (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-blog/round-ligament-pain/bgp-20111536)? I had that, and I don't remember doing much for it other than keeping track of how much I exerted myself. If I overdid it, I paid for it later.

This is the first thing I thought of, and I'm surprised her doc just kind of blew it off. There are definitely things that help. I've heard stretching and massage can really help. Good luck to her.

legaleagle
03-03-2015, 02:34 PM
I had pregnancy sciatica that sounds similar to this too - I agree she needs some sort of eval - too painful to deal with for maybe another month!

Momit
03-03-2015, 02:49 PM
I had hip pain on one side, but probably not as severe as hers. I started doing a pregnancy yoga DVD workout every day and I could not believe how much it helped. There was one stretch in particular that helped a ton.

OKKiddo
03-03-2015, 03:46 PM
I went to a chiro trained in pregnancy related issues for a similar problem. She did WONDERS.

Same here and I did it at exactly the same point in my 3rd pregnancy. I was walking like a 90 year old woman on a walker and I left the chiro's office feeling like a 20 something pregnant woman. MUCH better.

hillview
03-03-2015, 05:39 PM
I had round ligament pain with both pg. doc blew it off. Normal. I went in. It was serious pain. I ended up resting a lot more. Hugs.

lmh2402
03-03-2015, 08:47 PM
thanks so much, guys. i called all over creation today to try and find her a PT appt, but couldn't find one same day

she had her acupuncture appt this evening and said the practitioner believes that it's the baby's positioning - putting pressure on the uterine wall and creating a false sciatica. she said he did acupuncture and some reflexology and assisted stretching. she says it still hurts a lot, but she can at least walk sort of now

she is saying that she plans to return to work tomorrow, which i think is a huge mistake because she will undo any good she just had done unless she cabs it to and fro... she said she'll consider that

argh. anyway, thanks for the ideas!

happymom
03-03-2015, 09:12 PM
SIL swears by water aerobics for all her aches and pains during pregnancy...I don't know if it would be helpful for this specific pain, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2015, 10:59 PM
I loved water aerobics in late pregnancy too! That and yoga. I was lucky to not have any major aches.