PDA

View Full Version : Yea! DS finally has an appointment for the Neuropsych evaluation!

infocrazy
03-03-2015, 06:20 PM
How do I prepare? What do I need to know walking out at the end?

DS1 has been on the wait list for a Neuropsych eval for a year and I just go the call today. I have a parent meeting on Friday. She will send me some of the paperwork to fill out in advance.

Long story short, DS1 (4th grade) has been a big daydreamer. We are constantly walking the line of attention issues v immaturity. At this point, I really don't think it is an attention issue but I do think there is SOMEthing going on.

They are doing a neuropsych and educational evaluation. What should I make sure we talk about? We are going to make a testing plan. What should I make sure they review?

School:
* If he doesn't like it, he daydreams and does the bare minimum...if that
* If he does like it (science, social studies), he is on task, even ahead with amazing details, sometimes way beyond what is needed.
* Needs to check out with teacher to make sure his planner is correct
* Not at all a behavior problem, just a daydreamer
* Bombs standardized testing
* Has many acquaintances, and enjoys sports, but prefers to play with a small tight group of imaginative kids.

Home:
* 50/50 on whether homework is going to be AWFUL. Screaming, yelling, angry to do one sheet, that takes him 10 minutes when he does it
Other times, sits and does it happily...well, without issue which i will take! Usually if he does it right after school it is better, but DH gets home before me and it usually takes the enforcer to get home to get homework done.
* Full of drama when you ask him to do ANYthing he doesn't want to do. Can be sunshine and lollipops all day and then you ask him to pick up his backpack and snow bag and he freaks out about how mean I am.
* Sounds bad, but he is a sweet, cuddly, helpful kid, gentle kid 80% of the time at home, but that 20% really is bad and I.have.no.patience.for.it.at.all
* If you are quizzing on science for example, he can't just give you the answer, he needs to tell you more details that aren't even in the text.
* Hates math. I am an engineer. = :banghead: I am an awesome tutor, made money in high school and college. I even understand some of the theory behind common core, but it is the opposite of how DS learns so Now I am wrong...at everything. :banghead:
* We have long stretches where things are great...then days where everyday is terrible.
* He does better when we have a lot going on, which is usually, but days we don't are often the worst because there is no deadline or activity to threaten as incentive to be done. I am consistent--but that typically punishes me more than him.

Simon
03-03-2015, 06:30 PM
What a relief to finally have an appointment! Our intake for neuropsy was for a much younger kid but included paperwork for teachers as well as parents. You might call back and ask if that is the case for your son and if they can email those documents.
You have a good list going but try to nail down some very specific examples or instances of what sets him off. What aspect of the HW (interrupting play time, hitting a challenging question, etc)? For our schools, the neuropsy will have to be very specific about how learning is impeded and not just family life and that is where we have run into issues. Ours aren't bad enough that I have pursued, but my Ds is also still much younger. Good luck! I loved our experience and felt like I learned a lot from the assessment.

KpbS
03-03-2015, 11:19 PM
A year is so long to wait--so exciting! I would go in with typed notes, just like you wrote, and detailing how long he has experienced these symptoms/characteristics. I imagine that they will have plenty of questions for you, checklists, etc. Best of luck finding some answers. :hug: