PDA

View Full Version : s/o no contract phones - can you keep your old #??

doberbrat
03-03-2015, 10:57 PM
I want to make the switch but really want to keep my old cell #.

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2015, 11:00 PM
Dh did some weird porting via Google voice to keep his number.

AngB
03-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Yep, we switched from T-Mobile to straight talk and easily kept our numbers.

ang79
03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
We ported our AT&T number to Net10 with no problems. It wasn't an instant switch, I think we had to wait maybe 12-24 hours or something til it was in effect so we just made sure to do one phone at a time.

twowhat?
03-04-2015, 12:32 AM
Yep, we were able to keep our own numbers. AT&T even took care of canceling with Verizon/paying the fee to get out of the contract. For us it was an instant switch. Took a couple hours at the store to get everyone's phones moved over (whole family) but once it was done, it was done. Sim cards moved over and everything. Done. LET FREEDOM RING.

klwa
03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
Yep. DH & I both ported our numbers (me from Virgin, him from Verizon) to Straight Talk.

NCGrandma
03-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Mixed results -- when I moved from my long-time Sprint contract to T-mobile no-contract, T-mobile refused to let me keep the number. (Their explanation wasn't clear, so I'm not sure if they just didn't want to, or Sprint wouldn't give up the number, or what.). However, a couple of years later, when I switched from T-mobile no-contract to Verizon no-contract, there was absolutely no problem keeping my number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

khm
03-04-2015, 11:02 AM
You shouldn't have any trouble. Back in the day, you used to kind of be held hostage by your cell provider. Lots of people stayed just because they wanted to keep their number. But, they are now required to let you move your number.

The company you are moving to will usually help, they want your business!

calebsmama03
03-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Google your specific plan for sure (one you want to port to) but usually yes. The trick is if you miss paying on time or refilling your account you can lose the number. Some people do the convoluted google voice porting to avoid that but I don't get that method. We are on t mobile prepaid -$30 "walmart plan" for unlimited text/data, 100 mins of talk (usually plenty of talk for me but easily worked around using free vonage app - you don't need their residential service to use- and doing outgoing calls via that app using my data plan rather than minutes). We switched from sprint (me) and some random prepaid carrier and both kept our 10-year-old cell numbers.