PDA

View Full Version : I've been offered the job... negotiating help

tabegle
03-04-2015, 11:06 AM
So, when I initially applied for the internal posting, HR called and advised me that the max salary cap was $x, which was a few thousand less than where I am. They asked if I still wanted to pursue applying. I did.

Now that I've been offered the position, I know I can't negotiate on salary. New job also wants me to go into the office 2 days a week (over an hour commute each way) and travel once every three months for a 1 or 2 night stay. I was told the travel is a job requirement during the interview.

Currently, I work from home (WFH) 100% with no travel.

So, help me negotiate please!
what areas can I negotiate on?
- after training period/trial period of 3 months revisit and wfh full time?
- it's a big publicly traded company and they have a set schedule for earned PTO. Can I negotiate more PTO? ( barely used any last time, but that is one of the pain points of my current position.)
- Perhaps I could negotiate working 4 10 hour days, but I don't even know if I want that.
- what else?

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated!
(I need to get back to them tomorrow.)

emily_gracesmama
03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Maybe I am missing something but why did you apply for this position? If the salary is less and it doesnt sound like going into the office is going to be easy for you?

tabegle
03-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Good question. :)

Less stress, and the new job is hourly with occasional overtime. I currently am not hourly and don't get paid overtime, so my effective hourly rate is actually less than new job. Better work/life balance (if I didn't have to go into office).

hillview
03-04-2015, 11:37 AM
well not sure what is important to you but
- vacation pay
- assume they will pay your expenses and maybe cell phone/internet access
- company car (although if an hourly position this may not be appropriate)
- bonus
- salary review at 6 months

Indianamom2
03-04-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't have any advice for you, but I'm happy that you got the job offer! Good work and good luck negotiating!

HannaAddict
03-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I doubt any of the terms like going into the office are negotiable. You can try, but I would focus on vacation, and work from home full time. But I doubt it for an hourly position. Good luck.

echoesofspring
03-04-2015, 01:07 PM
after training period/trial period of 3 months revisit and wfh full time?
I'd actually go for this I think, particularly since you have a proven record of successfully doing it.

My guess is that the vacation is nonnegotiable since it's a company policy. But since you WFH now that seems to be more of a per dept/manager policy. Since you are moving from within the company, are a known quantity, are taking what looks like a paycut on paper, etc. it might be worth seeing how firm that cap actually is, you could try something like 'do you think you can do x + 10%', etc. The 4 10s are interesting, I'm not sure I could do them, but I could see asking for 4 nines + a short day on friday. Or 6-7 hour days when you go to the office, making up the other hours at home. I guess just negotiating for flexibility on when you work since it's hourly.

echoesofspring
03-04-2015, 01:07 PM
And congratulations!!

emily_gracesmama
03-04-2015, 05:39 PM
Ok I get it now. I am hourly as well and I work 2 ten hour days in the office and then additional hours at home usually in the evening. I stagger my days in the office since my ten hours in the office equates to twelve outside my house. I leave my house at 6 to get there by 7 and work til 5. It is exhausting to be honest since of course when I get home I have three kids to tend to so I can't imagine doing four days of that straight. I think I would need a day alone to recover. I would ask for a review after six months and see if they can do some sort of bonus structure and can they make sure your travel is comfortable, any perks you can get related to that.

Simon
03-05-2015, 08:47 AM
Congratulations! I don't have any great advice, but I am happy for you.
Good luck with negotiations.