PDA

View Full Version : Water leak- how to clean to prevent mildew?

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Alas, I have been meaning to get WeatherTech mats like dh has but I hadn't done it yet. This morning when I opened my car door, there was a massive pool of water on the front driver side floor on carpet mats (car was parked outside). I scooped up at least 14oz of water plus a fair number of sponge suck ups. It's still saturated as I had to leave for the day. I went and bought a Shop Vac- that will suck up the water, right? What else do I need to do?? eta- our garage isn't heated and the stupid door recently broke (awaiting repairs on that).

I also need to figure out where the leak is from as I just had the windshield replaced last week.

Thanks!

jgenie
03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
The shop vac should get most of the water out. You also need to put fans on it to dry it out. Do you have box fans or tower fans? Is there a place you can park your car and leave the doors open so you can run the fans? A carport or can you manually open and close your garage door just for tonight?

SnuggleBuggles
03-04-2015, 07:25 PM
The garage door is off the tracks so we can't use it at all. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping the car open at night.
Good question about fans too. I don't think we have one! We have central a/c and ceiling fans in most rooms.

sariana
03-04-2015, 09:17 PM
When we had water damage in our walls, the contractors used some sort of spray to deter to growth of mold. I don't know what it was called, but maybe you could ask at a home improvement/hardware store?? It was an anti-microbial spray, I believe.

roobee
03-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Damp rid or desiccants?