PDA

View Full Version : Photo Sorting and Storing

Pennylane
03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
My photos are getting out of control! I currently store most all of them at Shutterfly but it takes forever to load them , plus it does not offer any good editing tools.

So how do you store and organize all your digital photos?

Ann

lalasmama
03-05-2015, 08:03 PM
We store on our computer. I use Picasa for editing, but am considering an upgrade to something semi-professional, as I really enjoy editing. (Suggestions?)

That being said, we're looking at a more permanent solution, as we're on our third computer in as many years (too old, too slow, and this last one I screwed up), and I'm tired of trying to get all the pictures to the new computer every time.

Pennylane
03-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Since I posted the question, I have been doing some research. It seems like the best solution may be to keep loading them on Shutterfly AND put them on an external hard drive. That way I can still edit the photos. I have been using Pic Monkey for editing and find it very user friendly. I am debating lightroom but it seems so confusing to use!

Ann

specialp
03-05-2015, 08:29 PM
I store on my computer, an external and shutterfly. All are categorized by year. Within the year are 12 folders for each month.

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2015, 10:26 PM
I use Picasa. Have for years.

ckso
03-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Does Picasa or shutterfly have a limit to how much you can upload? Or duration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-05-2015, 10:37 PM
We've used Picasa since like 2005 and haven't hit any limits. Not a ton of movies but some. Lots of pictures. :)

specialp
03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Does Picasa or shutterfly have a limit to how much you can upload? Or duration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shutterfly does not. You do have to pay if you want to store more than 10 videos, but pictures are unlimited. I've used them since 2002 so I have a tone there, but I've gotten agitated with their website lately.

mom2khj
03-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I use Lightroom to edit and manage them on an external drive from my laptop. This drive gets backed up to CrashPlan automatically. They are organized by year/month/event, sometimes folders for longer spanning events (like soccer seasons, or vacations).
Example:

2015 (main folder)
--2015.01 | Misc (sub-folder for all photos in January that don't really fit in an event, I have one for each month)
--2015.01.22 | So-and-so's birthday (sub-folder for all photos from that event)
--2015.02-05 | Spring Soccer | U9 (sub-folder for all my 9 year olds soccer photos, each game that I take photos at would have it's own sub-folder)

I use Zenfolio to host/share my photos. I think I have the $60/year plan,, it's unlimited and they do videos too I think. My structure on Zenfolio is almost an exact replica of how I structured them on my hard drive. Lightroom has a super easy plug in (donation-ware) to publish my photos and keep Zenfolio and Lightroom in sync. I also use keywords in Lightroom as much as possible (sometimes I fall behind on this because it can be time consuming), so that if I need to search, it makes it super easy. The tags get uploaded to Zenfolio and I can search there as well too!