PDA

View Full Version : Would you fly with a clogged ear?

mackmama
03-06-2015, 09:22 PM
I am supposed to get on a plane tomorrow and have had a clogged ear for 2.5 days. I am not sick. This happens to me sometimes, I think as a result of my deviated septum and having had a cold two weeks ago. It feels like tremendous pressure with occasional pain and, no matter what I do, I cannot get the ear to release. I have plugged my nose and blown, steamed my ear 10x per day, taken Advil, drank through a straw. My doctor once told me that I should not fly if I can not get it to clear. In the past, I have taken Sudafed or Afrin nose spray which has cleared it enough to fly. I now have some heart issues and cannot use Sudafed or Afrin. Would you all still fly in this case? I don't want a burst eardrum. I really wanted to go on this trip, however, as it's related to our upcoming move and a lot of planning went into organizing the itinerary of this trip (realtor tours, school interviews, etc). If I don't go, DH will go alone (without DC) to at least accomplish the majority of the trip -- but he is definitely not excited about doing it alone.

JElaineB
03-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Have you tried Claritin or Zyrtec?

Globetrotter
03-06-2015, 10:04 PM
I would ask the doctor ASAP for alternatives to those meds that worked.

123LuckyMom
03-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't fly unless I could find a safe decongestant. Have you asked about alternatives to sudafed and afrin? Unsure there's another option.

I meant, I'm sure there's another option.

zukeypur
03-06-2015, 10:07 PM
What about benadryl? I don't know if i would fly. I still remember flying with ear pain when i was four.

flashy09
03-06-2015, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't! Some of the worst pain of my life has been while descending on a plane. I hoped it would rupture for some relief. Then I end up with a massive ear infection on landing. Usually it's not worth it for me to fly if my ears are blocked up.

BDKmom
03-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Not sure what I would do in your shoes. I agree with PP rec to check with your dr on a safe decongestant. Also, if you decide to go, get some ear planes. They are ear plugs that slow down the pressure changes so it's not as severe. You can find them at most any pharmacy with all the other ear stuff.

Smillow
03-07-2015, 02:05 AM
Nevermind:oops::duh::bag:o:sulkoff:

mackmama
03-07-2015, 02:13 AM
Nevermind:oops::duh::bag:o:sulkoff:

Lol no problem. Thanks for trying to help.

rin
03-07-2015, 02:22 AM
I would, and have. It does hurt, but I guess it depends on how much you want the trip to happen/how hard it would be to reschedule.

solsister
03-07-2015, 04:55 AM
Have you tried Mullein Garlic drops? They are a lifesaver when it comes to ear problems.
Here is what we used- read review number 4.
http://www.amazon.com/Herb-Pharm-Mullein-Garlic-Herbal/product-reviews/B001E8DBU8

georgiegirl
03-07-2015, 08:29 AM
I don't know. I felt with a sinus infection in December and the pain on descent was excruciating...like someone stabbing my sinuses with a knife, like they were going to explode. Luckily the pressure was able to equalize and I had no lasting effects, but those two descents were VERY painful. Fortunately I was better a week later when I flew home.

AnnieW625
03-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Yeah I probably would, but I get ear pain most times I fly no matter what. I would probably go the doctor too just to make sure you domt have an ear infection. If you don't have you tried Willow Kids Mullien oil? That stuff really works.

newnana
03-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Have you ever talked to your doctor about Coricidin? My mom has some heart issues and it's the only thing her doctor will let her take when she has sinus issues: http://www.coricidinhbp.com/coricidin/home/index.jspa

mackmama
03-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Thanks, everyone. I decided not to go due to the ear and am SO bummed to miss this trip. DH is not pleased to handle it alone either. Just bad timing. I have had ear pain when I've flown before when my ear has had a little congestion. This ear clog feels a lot more severe- I'm wondering if it is an ear infection after all - so it seemed prudent not to chance flying. To the PP - I will look into Coricidin for the future - thanks for the tip!