PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun - do you double space when you keyboard?

alexsmommy
03-07-2015, 08:56 AM
I am incapable of not double spacing. It's not a conscious thing after (ahem) quite a few years of typing - 'cause that's what I learned, how to "type" not how to "keyboard."

kep
03-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Well, I learned to keyboard, not to type in the early 90's. We were taught it was proper form to double space after the ending punctuation. Something about correct business formatting. I still do. It'd just more rewarding now that my phone adds in periods for my lazy double spacing now.

trcy
03-07-2015, 09:12 AM
I used to, but I don't now.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I chose other. On iPhones and iPads I double space because iOS automatically adds a period. I don't *think* I do when on a desktop, but I'm not sure!

boolady
03-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Yes. Required to for work by very strict formatting requirements regarding character spacing, font size, characters per line, etc.

sariana
03-07-2015, 09:47 AM

The new standard is to use one space because two spaces messes up the formatting for websites. So I (mostly) have switched.

ETA: I voted Other because the phrasing of the other choices does not accurately reflect my opinion.

gcc2k
03-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Took a year of typing in high school during the early nineties and I definitely had to double space. But I think I slowly lost it somewhere during college.

SnuggleBuggles
03-07-2015, 09:55 AM
I learned to type on a keyboard and learned to type 2. I can't break the habit.

pastrygirl
03-07-2015, 10:30 AM
I stopped years ago, when I was told it wasn't necessary anymore with computer typing.

94bruin
03-07-2015, 10:38 AM
I stopped years ago, when I was told it wasn't necessary anymore with computer typing.
:yeahthat:

jenmcadams
03-07-2015, 10:40 AM

Same here - I've trained myself out of it, but often have to go back and edit a few doublespaces

khm
03-07-2015, 11:52 AM
I also learned on a typewriter and therefore double spaced. But, in the late 90s I worked at a web company and it was verboten due to it messing up web code or something and just plain really unhip! (I was in my late 20s, lots of people were 18-23.... Last thing I wanted was to have something so silly age me.)

I unlearned it waaaaay quick and haven't looked back.

Interestingly, there are a few younger people at my current job who double-space and they have probably never touched a typewriter! I haven't taken a poll, I guess, but I'd say most of the "older" people (except me) double-space. I have argued with the young double-spacer though. He must have learned from a typist, but it's kind of a joke between us now.

hillview
03-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Used to

twowhat?
03-07-2015, 12:30 PM
We rarely use typewriter (monotype) fonts in modern documents (each letter gets the exact same amount of space, that's why the double space helps with visual separation of sentences). Now that we use the more "modern" fonts (each letter takes up varying amounts of space...like "i" takes up less width than "o", there's no need for the double space anymore.

I haven't used a double space since around 2006-ish. I do remember the transition though. It was painful re-programming my thumb! LOL. Plenty of people do still use the double space and it does make for awkward sentence formatting with modern fonts. If I'm editing a doctor's work, I often have to do a find/replace to get rid of all the double spaces.

mackmama
03-07-2015, 12:53 PM
I don't, and it honestly is a pet peeve of mine when I see people do so.

wendibird22
03-07-2015, 01:41 PM
I don't, and it honestly is a pet peeve of mine when I see people do so.

Me too! I work in academe where most if not all credible writing formats have dropped the double space and so it drives me bonkers to see well published academics still doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunnyside
03-07-2015, 02:11 PM
It's so frustrating that it changed. I still do sometimes because it's how I learned and it's a tough habit to break.

bisous
03-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Me too! I work in academe where most if not all credible writing formats have dropped the double space and so it drives me bonkers to see well published academics still doing it.

When did it change? I graduated in 2007 with a Masters in History and double spaced all my papers. Then I started work as a blogger in 2010 and my editor had to tell me to stop double spacing! Was I doing it wrong in 2007? (My grades never reflected that I was using an improper form!)

AnnieW625
03-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Yes but because I just type too fast, and just want to always add that extra space. I end up going back and taking the second space out. I learned how to type on a typewriter, and took a typing/computer class in 1991/1992 in the 9th grade., and I don't recall being taught the two space rule either.

ellies mom
03-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I did not take typing in high school so I am self-taught. Which meant that I was oblivious to all of the "picky" typing rules. I didn't realize you were supposed to double space after a period until you weren't supposed to anymore.

The funny thing is that the reason I didn't learn to type in high school was because my mom, who ironically enough was involved in developing the IBM PC, decided that I didn't need to learn how to type because someone else would be doing it for me. She came from the time when women who were working in tech/engineering jobs were pushing back on the expectation that they would type up their male co-workers work and the advice was to simply hide your ability to type. Too bad they had no idea how quickly and completely desktop computers were going to take over the world.

elliput
03-07-2015, 03:40 PM
I learned to double space, but sometimes I don't. Some sites (like Facebook and this one) automatically delete the second space after a period. Try as you might, that double space disappears.

baymom
03-07-2015, 03:51 PM
I always double space--it's how I was taught. But, just last week, my manager was looking over a report I wrote and told me it's not necessary and I should single space. So, I'll be re-training myself!

wencit
03-07-2015, 05:45 PM
This thread is very eye-opening for me. I didn't even know until reading it that we're not "supposed to" double space! Clearly, I still do, out of habit, and because that's the way I was taught in junior high typing class. I wonder how long it will take me to unlearn. It feels so unnatural to me!

MontrealMum
03-07-2015, 06:08 PM

If they're publishing, they're publishing according to style guidelines...some still require the double space.

tropicalmom
03-07-2015, 06:28 PM
This thread is very eye-opening for me. I didn't even know until reading it that we're not "supposed to" double space! Clearly, I still do, out of habit, and because that's the way I was taught in junior high typing class. I wonder how long it will take me to unlearn. It feels so unnatural to me!

Ditto this.

calebsmama03
03-07-2015, 06:50 PM
I chose other. On iPhones and iPads I double space because iOS automatically adds a period. I don't *think* I do when on a desktop, but I'm not sure!
If you actually look carefully at the formatting after you "double space" in iOS, it doesn't actually out 2 spaces there. It is one space and a period.

I was told by several friends (one college prof, one graphic designer) that double space is now improper and is only used on a typewriter. I taught myself to not double space now, so it'll be a bummer if that is wrong and I need to relearn the doubles! Lol

ncat
03-07-2015, 07:30 PM
I unlearned it waaaaay quick and haven't looked back.

This.

I was a dedicated double spacer, but when my work's style guide was rewritten to use a single space, I unlearned it quickly. Many of my co-workers still double space.

indigo99
03-07-2015, 09:06 PM
I learned to type with double spacing, but I haven't done it since high school.

larig
03-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Not anymore after grad school where I was expected to use APA, which frowns upon 2 spaces.

TwinFoxes
03-07-2015, 10:07 PM
If you actually look carefully at the formatting after you "double space" in iOS, it doesn't actually out 2 spaces there. It is one space and a period.

Oh, cool!

american_mama
03-07-2015, 10:52 PM
I use two spaces because I've always thought that was the standard. But I read this a few years ago http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

which made the case for one space, citing various style guides that promote one space, plus the supposed readability argument.

But I say... maybe. Proportional fonts were standard on the typewriter I brought to college in 1988 (and never used), so proportional fonts have been around a long time before computers, so that alone is not what changed it. This blog http://www.dailywritingtips.com/one-or-two-spaces-after-a-period/ cites examples from typesetting (i.e. before typewriters) that use multiple spaces, so it wasn't a golden age of one-spacing before the typewriter changed it. And I don't really buy the argument in the slate post that readability or looks is better with one space. I think it's subjective. I personally think two spaces between sentences highlights that a new thought is beginning, as the period does, but without it looking too much like the a comma-plus-one-space. I personally think one-spacing looks crowded.

So, I think most of the reasons people come up with are opinion, not fact. I am sensitive to readability.... ALL CAPS IS HARD TO READ because we do not have the extra visual clue of the shape of the letter to help us read faster. So I now longer use all caps to write any headings or titles, ever, a rule I learned when working as a proofer/typist at a company with a strict, and very helpful, style editor. Which brings me to style guides...

I accept that someone gets to make typesetting and style rules, so by the standard of an increasing number of style guides, one spacing is correct. All the other reasons are, to me, just opinion.

o_mom
03-07-2015, 11:54 PM
I use two spaces because I've always thought that was the standard. But I read this a few years ago http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

which made the case for one space, citing various style guides that promote one space, plus the supposed readability argument.

But I say... maybe. Proportional fonts were standard on the typewriter I brought to college in 1988 (and never used), so proportional fonts have been around a long time before computers, so that alone is not what changed it. This blog http://www.dailywritingtips.com/one-or-two-spaces-after-a-period/ cites examples from typesetting (i.e. before typewriters) that use multiple spaces, so it wasn't a golden age of one-spacing before the typewriter changed it. And I don't really buy the argument in the slate post that readability or looks is better with one space. I think it's subjective. I personally think two spaces between sentences highlights that a new thought is beginning, as the period does, but without it looking too much like the a comma-plus-one-space. I personally think one-spacing looks crowded.

So, I think most of the reasons people come up with are opinion, not fact. I am sensitive to readability.... ALL CAPS IS HARD TO READ because we do not have the extra visual clue of the shape of the letter to help us read faster. So I now longer use all caps to write any headings or titles, ever, a rule I learned when working as a proofer/typist at a company with a strict, and very helpful, style editor. Which brings me to style guides...

I accept that someone gets to make typesetting and style rules, so by the standard of an increasing number of style guides, one spacing is correct. All the other reasons are, to me, just opinion.

I agree with this. I find single space hard to read and much prefer double spaces even with the proportional fonts which are not supposed to need the extra space. I think it is my style of reading, which is very much a "whole chunk at a time" approach so I like the visual indicator of the end of a sentence. Single space all runs together for me.

If I ever submit something for publication again, I'll follow whatever they are doing at that point.

sariana
03-08-2015, 12:27 AM

As some of us have mentioned, two spaces causes problems with the coding on websites. That is not an opinion; it is a fact. Since much of what is produced today is intended for consumption online, the single space has taken precedence.

For printed text the spacing is less important and does become largely a matter of opinion. But there clearly are factual reasons for the change beyond aesthetics.

american_mama
03-08-2015, 12:39 AM
As some of us have mentioned, two spaces causes problems with the coding on websites. That is not an opinion; it is a fact. Since much of what is produced today is intended for consumption online, the single space has taken precedence.

For printed text the spacing is less important and does become largely a matter of opinion. But there clearly are factual reasons for the change beyond aesthetics.

I did read that in this thread. I never knew about the coding conflict before, so I googled it. An admittedly quick read of the restults revealed 1) not too many of the editors and style fanatics writing about this spacing issue mentioned the coding (sounds like it was specifically HTML in the few things that mentioned it) and 2) HTML has for a while automatically converted two spaces after a period to one.

Is that true? I don't know. But it highlights again to me the subjective nature of this argument. People write about this in such extreme terms, hating to recognize there may not be one single, widespread standard. The editors and style fanatics writing about this issue see it through their lens of aesthetics, ignoring the very legitimate coding issue, perhaps because it it outside of their area of interest. Plus, if it's true that HTML now automatically converts, then no one has to change. An automatic change to one spacing may define it as the new standard, but it also means that the user doesn't have to change, because technology will make it easier. Like spell check. Like autocorrect.

Plus, an online standard is still not always a correct or widely accepted one. I read about a similar punctation standard a few months ago when a website programmer I work with kept submitting text with the period outside the quotation make. Like "this". A quick google then made this style seem really common online, but it seemed to be universally considered a mistake, perhaps due to the high degree of self-publishing and low use of style editors online.

For obvious reasons, I and "alot" of others will "prolly" rue the day when online standards are considered the only right ones.

sarahsthreads
03-08-2015, 01:37 AM

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I did any web coding, but...I never once, ever ever ever had a problem with formatting code, html, whatever, due to two spaces...? And I started working on websites in 1995 or 1996. (I'd have to go visit the wayback machine to confirm!) I am a two-space junkie because I learned mumble-ty years ago when it was standard to do two spaces after the period, so you'd think if there was an issue I'd have found it.

Like others have mentioned, even with proportional fonts I prefer the extra space for readability. I can't see how it's harming anyone, so I will continue to use two spaces until the keyboard police issue me a space-restraining order. :)

Sarah :)

sariana
03-08-2015, 02:52 AM
You're both right, it's not a coding issue--that was a malapropism. It's a formatting issue. Since all screens are different, and there is no way to predict how the text will align on the reader's screen, the formatting has to allow for various alignments. Having two spaces can create alignment issues with SOME sites, apparently.

I think it comes down to the point that two spaces is not necessary. But it is true the there are numerous style guides that have different guidelines for all kinds of things. (Oxford comma, anyone? Split infinitives?)

The title says "for fun." I am not adamant one way or the other, but I do tend to use one space now for convenience.

My point in my previous post was that the reasons for changing to one space were not all specious. They may or may not be obsolete, but there were real reasons the changes were made.

And I have come to the conclusion that I am much too tired to be posting anything right now. Have a good night!

alexsmommy
03-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Y

Yes, all in good fun! I was just curious knowing that the demographic on here tends to skew towards fairly educated, but a range of ages because some of us have been here awhile and have teens, others are new moms.
I just don't type anywhere near the volume I used to in grad school and when my job required regular report writing, so I've never been forced to take the second space out. I'm sure I could if I really wanted/needed to, but just find it interesting how this is one of those subtle things that dates a person at technology moves forward. If you google it, there are many articles and opinion pieces about this issue. I had no idea until maybe a year ago that things had changed because I'm out of academia now.
Thanks for playing - always interesting to hear different points of view!

hellokitty
03-08-2015, 09:38 AM
OK, well I need to change my vote. I too learned to type on a typewriter and automatically double spaced. However, for whatever reason, I had assumed that I no longer double spaced at the end of sentences. I guess I was wrong, lol. Old habits stick around. I do it automatically w/o even realizing it.

Kindra178
03-08-2015, 10:13 AM
The legal world is behind the times. I have never read anything that had single spaces between sentences. Letters, contracts and legal briefs to be filed with the court, included.

Philly Mom
03-08-2015, 10:29 AM
The legal world is behind the times. I have never read anything that had single spaces between sentences. Letters, contracts and legal briefs to be filed with the court, included.

Yes. I am included in that. My associate types with single spaces. I find her briefs harder to edit. I still use double spacing though I know it is now considered outdated. I just like the way it looks better.

nfceagles
03-08-2015, 12:22 PM
This is the first I've heard that double spaces were no longer proper. In fact, when I first started reading the thread I thought it was referring to line spacing. That seemed a little strange since it would seem very dependent on the nature of the piece and easy to switch back and forth in most programs.

3isEnough
03-08-2015, 12:46 PM

:yeahthat: I had no idea the rest of the world had (mostly) changed to single spaces. And, given how entrenched in custom the legal world is, I suspect it will be a long time before the industry largely switches over to single spaces. Whew!

Mommy_Mea
03-08-2015, 02:02 PM
When I took a writing class a few years ago at work, I learned the double spaces were longer "proper." But I still can't stop, too ingrained from 25 years of typing!!

wendibird22
03-08-2015, 02:22 PM
I earned my masters in 2006 and APA had already steered away from it by then which is when I unlearned it.

Yes academics who are published are following the style for their discipline however most academics I know have an editor who gets the fun job of taking all the extra spaces out.

JElaineB
03-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I try not to anymore, it's not necessary with proportional fonts used on the computer, but by ingrained habit from Sr. John Francis (8th grade typing) still comes through sometimes. I often do a find/replace to correct documents.

klwa
03-09-2015, 06:48 AM
I was taught keyboarding, rather than typing, and I was taught that it was proper to use the double space. I don't really understand the more "modern" version saying it's not!

rlu
03-09-2015, 03:23 PM
I learned to type on a manual typewriter (ca-chunk). I finally learned to call the "enter" button by "enter" instead of "return" so there's little hope I'll stop the double space at the end of a sentence. I'm not sure if MS office is auto-correcting to single space. Off to check.

eta: Nope, Outlook and Word allow double-spacing. I find single-spacing hard to read.

kbud
03-10-2015, 11:59 PM
I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be double spacing anymore! This is the first I've heard of not double-spacing. I am pretty certain I won't be able to break the habit. It just doesn't seem right to not double space!