PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted!! How to wean from lovey

petesgirl
03-07-2015, 09:40 AM
DS (3.5 yr old) has 3 favorite blankets plus a stuffed kitty that he sleeps with. He has been very attached to 2 of them since he was a baby and the third one grandma gave to him a few weeks ago when DD was in the hospital and is now a favorite also. He hauls them all over the house with him too. Anyway, I really don't care except that I think it is too much for him to keep track of at night when he is trying to fall asleep. He has to check that he has all 3 of them several times before he can settle down. And he still wakes up once in the night and usually comes to our bed and then has to haul all 3 of them in there and check several more times that he has them all before he can fall asleep again. I really do think it keeps him up longer.
I want to get rid of the largest one--it is super annoying and is actually not a blanket at all, but a short bathrobe that I used to wear when he was an infant. DH would wrap him up in it when I was working and DS just loved that! I guess maybe it smelled like mommy or something. Anyway, how do I get him to give it up??

TwinFoxes
03-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I honestly wouldn't bother. I think it will result in more upset and crying than it'd be worth. I just don't see it going very smoothly, and I think bedtimes would be a nightmare.

We did have a no loveys outside the house rule. So I never had to worry about packing them, or worry about losing them.

JBaxter
03-07-2015, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't take it way either Just have the that one stays in bed rule. My ( now cousin) slept with his moms nylon night gown for many years.

Green_Tea
03-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I would not take away something that gives him such great comfort and does no real harm.

BDKmom
03-07-2015, 11:19 AM
I agree that the effort and upset of taking them away will be much more stressful and cause much more loss of sleep than what's going on now. IME, my kids cycle through what they need as far as that stuff over the course of time. He's probably pretty stressed with what's been going on with your DD. I would just let it be.

AnnieW625
03-07-2015, 11:41 AM
I honestly wouldn't bother. I think it will result in more upset and crying than it'd be worth. I just don't see it going very smoothly, and I think bedtimes would be a nightmare.

We did have a no loveys outside the house rule. So I never had to worry about packing them, or worry about losing them.
:yeahthat: or at least the lovies stay in the car past the infant seat stage. My DD1 at less than a month shy of 9 is more attached to her teddy bear than she was at a year or even 3, but it doesn't bother me that she still has a lovie. My 4 yr. old switches lovies all of the time one day it is Catwoman Barbie and the next it is Hello Kitty, or the Grinch.

petesgirl
03-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Okay then :) ill just let it be. And yes, we have the no lovies outside the house rule also! And they get washed frequently also, despite his protests.

Jenny_A
03-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Yes, I vote to let him keep the lovey too! :) I had a favorite blanket growing up. It wore down to just shreds, but it was a great comfort to me. I remember my mom always said, "You can walk down the isle with it when you get married if you want! I don't care!" I always appreciated that. I didn't, by the way! ;)

Cam&Clay
03-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Yes, I vote to let him keep the lovey too! :) I had a favorite blanket growing up. It wore down to just shreds, but it was a great comfort to me. I remember my mom always said, "You can walk down the isle with it when you get married if you want! I don't care!" I always appreciated that. I didn't, by the way! ;)

This made me smile. My mother sewed a piece of my shredded lovey into the crinoline under my wedding dress because she said that was all of "Lovey" I could take into my marriage!

Jenny_A
03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
This made me smile. My mother sewed a piece of my shredded lovey into the crinoline under my wedding dress because she said that was all of "Lovey" I could take into my marriage!

What a neat idea!! Love it! :)

mackmama
03-07-2015, 11:29 PM
I would not try to take any of them away. We spend almost one night a week looking for one of DC's many beloved loveys. They are not allowed out of the house, but they still manage to get lost in the house all.of.the.time. I know what you mean re the rituals and the time it takes (possibly away from sleep). I'd let it play its course though. They are comforting for them.

lalasmama
03-07-2015, 11:41 PM
This made me smile. My sister took the last inches of my lovey (the silky edge of a baby blanket) under the ribbon on the stems of my bouquet. No one knew it was there except for us, but it made Sis and I smile knowing it was there!

musicalgrl
03-08-2015, 10:09 AM
DD is lovey attached as well and it used to make me crazy having to search all over the house at bedtime to find them. Our solution was to have "upstairs" loveys that can't leave her room and "downstairs" loveys that can go anywhere. amazingly, it solved the problem, and also reduced the total number of things she had in her bed at night..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
03-08-2015, 11:42 AM
It's funny how many of us had our loveys on our wedding day. DH gave me a locket with a picture of my two childhood stuffed toys in it. :)